Choosing a digital camera

Discussion in 'Community' started by JupiterZen, Oct 25, 2002.

1. JupiterZen macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a digital camera of about 3 or 4 megapixel. But I can't seem to make a choice. So I would like you're advice and/or experience with various ones.

I checked out the Kodak DX3900 my father bought, but was very disappointed about the long lag between pushing the button and actually taking the picture. It was way to long to take exactly the right picture of my cat, as the perfect shot would be long gone by the time the picture was taken.

Are all the affordable ones like this?

I found specs on the Canon Powershot G2 stating the Shutter Release Time Lag was 0.11 sec. But Kodak doesn't even mention something about it.

Or are the Sony Powershot worth the extra cash?

Help me out!!

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I've been shopping around for a new cam for my girlfriend, and in our experience the models weve liked the most were from Canon, Sony, the Nikon coolipix's, and Fuji. She wants one with Black and White built-in so we will probably get one of the Canons (though Sony is still a contender.) This reminds me though, her birthday is not that far off so I need to make a decision on that soon!:eek:

3. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

So how were the lags on those Canon and Sony camera's?

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

As a sidenote, all SONY CyberShots have a b&w mode, although this seems as a weird request. I get better results just simply converting the shot to LAB, adjusting the A&B channels and then go to Grayscale. you have way more control this way.

I personally use the SONY DSC S-75 with great pleasure. It does have a lag in taking a pic, but unless you want to fork out $999 or more, this will haunt you. A good median would be the Nikon CoolPix 4500, which is an exceptional camera. Last time I checked it was around $550. It uses CF cards and is fast, fully manual and very sturdy.

I do love my SONY though. It's 3.3 megapixel with fully manual controls and a LARGE glass lens by Carl-Zeiss. It also accepts lens attachments which might not be important to you. You can record unlimited (well limited by the size of the memory card) quicktime movies instead of 15 second snipets. It also has a setting where you can capture video as an animated GIF. The colors are true and vibrant, with minimal noise. The macro works great - as close as .8". It has a Zoom factor (optical) of 6x. All for $375. Throw in a generic 128MB Memory Stick for $49.99 and you are set. Plus it works flawlessly in OSX.2

</rant>

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Here is a picture taken with the SONY DSC-S75. Resized 600x480 to allow for faster downloads. Original file 2048x1960 px. Taken in total darkness at 11:00 pm, with the shutter open for 8 seconds.

Attached Files:

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

And an other one. Sorry this is the last one. I love my camera.

Attached Files:

• lock.jpg
      lock.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  7. JohnStrass macrumors regular

For what its worth, the Nikon 4500 is amazing. But, for Macro mode, you have to buy the cool light SL1 because the camera cant deal with low-light low-contrast targets for focusing (like pictures of skin growths). I read that Sony and some others use a laser to "paint" to enhance the focus in low light.

8. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

;)

Well seems you're one happy camper.

So it seems spending a little extra cash is well worth it. Those are very nice pictures considering the circumstances you made them in ;). I just wouldn't be able to work with a camera that had a lag (like that Kodak DX3900).

I'm gonna check out that S-75.

9. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I don't have a digital camera, so I can't help you with the lag times...but I'm currently looking at a couple of cameras.

Olympus Camedia C-50Z
    (5 megapixel)
    [​IMG]

Canon Powershot S40/S45
    (4 megapixel)
    [​IMG]

Canon Powershot S230
    (3 megapixel)
    [​IMG]

Sony Cybershot DSC U-20
    (2 megapixel)
    [​IMG]

Sorry to ask on this thread, but what you ya'll think?

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

IIRC there is lag on most, if not all, consumer cameras 'cause the camera needs time to focus and white balance (white balance taking the longest).

The higher up the camera food chain you go the shorter the lag (and complete elimination), but also the higher the price.

Lethal

11. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I used to use a coolpix 950, loved the thing to death, especially the *excellent* lens attachments. I've only heard good things about the rest of the 9xx line, check it out.

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I've used the Canon S200 (2-megapixel predecessor to the S230) and I was happy with it. It's great if you want a camera that's small enough to fit in your pocket (although it is stainless steel and heavier than it looks). Decent image quality, not much in the way of zoom capability, not a great macro mode. An average amount of manual control. The S40 and S45 are technically better, but also bigger. I know I didn't flatter it too much, but if I were buying a digital camera today, that's the one I'd buy... just for the portability.

You've got quite a range of cameras in that list. Other ones you might want to check out are the Kyocera Finecam S3 (a competitor to the Canon S230), the Minolta DiMAGE S304/S404, the Fuji Finepix line, and the Nikon Coolpix line.

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I was going for convience...the Canon S40 is semi-small...sorta like a point and shoot camera with good features. The ones I were looking at were the most portable in their megapixel classes that had decent features...the sony one is the most portable (the size of a jumbo pack of gum, 2.0 MP :eek:)

But yeah...thats my range. Thanks for the other suggestions.

14. resm macrumors 6502

Re: Choosing a digital camera

I am using the Fuji S602 zoom which is considered one of the fastest (if not the fastest) of the prosumer cameras.
    It can be used with 3 different memory chips (smart media/CF and microdrive up to 1 Gig).
    It uses "AA" batteries that are everywhere available and rechargeable ones can let you take up to 400 shots on one charge.
    Macro shots are fantastic and "continous shooting" capability makes it perfect for moving (sport) shoots. (6x optical zoom)
    I have been printing pics all the way up to A3 with very good results.

It is NOT a camera that gives the best results on "Auto".
    You have to take your time to learn how to use it and to find out which setting is the best one for your purpose.

"monochrom" is beeing used for black and white photos.

It also has movie recording capability with sound and can take up to 15 min of movies (with a 1 Gig microdrive) and the quality is the best you can get for a still camera but zoom can not be used when recording. (zoom first, then shoot)

for reviews go "dpreview" that has also forums for the different brands.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I use a HP Photosmart 315. Very easy to use & great pictures! :)

16. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Choosing a digital camera

Well, thanx for all the input.

My girlfriend got the Casio QV-R3 this weekend. I't a very nice camera with an acceptably short shutter lag.

I'm gonna use that one for now and will be saving for something really cool. A digital body so I can exchange lenses and so on.

Bye

17. cionheart macrumors member

Re: Re: Choosing a digital camera

If it's possible could you do me a favour and check if the R3 works with OS X 10.2? I own a R4 and I plan to buy an iBook. I've heard, that older Casios don't work with 10.2 any more but I'm not sure if that counts for the newer modells too.

Thanx in advance :)

-- cionheart

18. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Been happy with my 3-megapixel Olympus C3000z since getting it a bit over a year ago. It came with an 8mb SmartMedia card, which I upgraded to a 64mb to use the Quicktime mode.

Alas, it's no longer made. However, there is a 4-megapixel C4000z, which is a direct replacement.

I had been looking at several Nikon models before settling on Olympus. If I was in the market for a new one, I wouldn't hesitate to compare these two company's product lines again, as they are very similiar in both costs and capabilities.

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I recently got a Canon Elph S230. It's a 3.2MP and takes fantastic photos. According to what I've read and seen the Canons and the Elph series specifically have some of the fastest processing time of any consumer digital camera.

It's really nice being able to carry the camera around in a pocket everywhere I go and still get nice photo prints. While I love Sony products including there Digital Cameras I cannot recommend any of them until they get there head out of there ass and use standard memory cards of some sort. The problem is simply the size and price of the memory. They don't have Sony memory cards over 128MB which is inadequate for a day of photographing. Also the price is simply outrageous for 128MB. The S230 uses standard CF Type-I cards which you can pick up 512MB for around $180.

I would post an image from the Canon but to shrink it down or compress the image small enough to be able to post it here would destroy the whole purpose. One last thing the Canon cameras have one of the best ccd chips in them with a very advanced processor also. This all adds up to very life like colors and crystal clear and sharp images.

If you would like to see some of my photos you can see them here . If you want to see the originals of any of the photos there is a link on that page to my computer where I am hosting them.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

We (my family) have a Fuji S602 and it is very good.
    For some good reviews check out Steves Digicams, he has a good detailed review, as well as shots taken (in full res) with just about every camera out there.

21. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

this summer i bought the canon s200 (i wish it had been 3 megapixels) and i have absolutely loved it. i have it with me *all* the time.

the photos it takes are decent, but i just wish it did better at night (when i usually take photos)

in the future i will probably buy a much better camera like the sony f707 but i will always have an elph in my pocket... i've taken many photos i would never have been able to get with a different camera because i can't lug a large camera around my neck all of the time....

22. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Choosing a digital camera

I can tell you ... It works like a charm under Jaguar. Just plug it in and use iPhoto.

No problem.

;)

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

My father had a F707 for about a week. I loved it he loved it. It took awesome photos and was fairly easy to use. Only problem was the 128MB card limitation. It doesn't let you put enough pictures on a card. On top of that the memory is expensive.

I wish Sony would get smart and use CF Memmory. It's much cheaper, faster(depending on what you buy), and has much larger sizes. Not to mention it is much more widely used. So in the case of the Palm you could use the add on devices
    (i.e. phone, GPS) if it had a CF card slot. I would have the new Sony Clié in a heart beat if it used CF cards.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

check it...

Since I have a few "spare" moments, I thought I would check my old thumping grounds... I have an article up on my own web site about two Canon digital cameras. Check out the site at thetechpub.com with the article being easily linked to from the index/first page. Of course, if you want to avoid that one extra click, go here.

PEACE!

25. demonx macrumors regular

Im actually planning to pick up the Nikon Coopix 2500, nice and portable for taking to parties, clubs, etc has a nice design and not a bad price.