Choosing a sub £100 digital camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cwedl, Mar 20, 2007.

1. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Hi

I wanted to buy another digital camera, as my one is quite old, I'm not really happy with the picture (2mp) and would like to get a 5mp or higher camera. it needs to be small, and cheap hopefully under £100. I was looking at this but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a lens cover. it takes normal batteries which is probably a good thing because I never remember to charge my devices anyway. the sd memory is cheap as well, I can get 4gb for under £10.

what do you think? Any recommendations.

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i'm not to sure about prices in the UK but the camera i got last year was a sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W50, i think it's a really nice camera it looks cool, feels nice, and it works well for me.
    Heres a review
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W50/W50A.HTM

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Try this - it's £5 above your budget but a good buy.

Originally found it here for general bargain goodness :D

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

That looks like a nice camera, i'm quite partial to sony for cheaper cameras, and Nikon for their DSLR's (they even use a sony chip in lots of them i believe) :p

I looked at a cheaper nikon camera but the body of the camera is tapered inward on the side that you hold the camera, so it allways feels like it's slipping out of your hand, NOT good

5. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

That looks good, I may have a look at that one, I could get the DSC-W55 7mp camera for about 15 pounds more, I may be swayed, but it looks good and the sample pictures I found on both look good.

That looks like a god camera, but the sample images I found were okay but for the extra 30 pounds I can have a sony and the reviews seem better for the sony. however the sony memory stick cards are a lot more than the sd cards.

I am still undecided but I am leaning towards the pentax on now, it has also had good reviews and looks small, and is perfectly good for what I need it for.

any other suggestions thanks

edit:

I know its a lot more but this camera
    looks really good, the pictures look amazing, and I am really tempted, I could get 4 1gb sticks for £5.36 a pop

6. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

That looks really nice, 8 MegaPixels would give a nice image, i think that when i bought my DSC W-50 i should have spent a little more and gotten the 7.2 MP one:p

7. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

Well I went for it, so much for my £100 budget, just spent £156 on the sony DSC-W100 8.1mp camera and only bought 2 x1gb cards even though they were £5.60 each the p&p was £4.50 which still makes them cheaper than anywhere else but not as cheap as I had thought. I will get the case probably from PCworld this sunday as I want one thats hard and has some storage capabilities as well for the cards I have bought.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

You can get a 4gig card for that cheap? Where? :eek:

9. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Sounds good, like you said so much for the budget. :rolleyes:

What you can do is buy an adapter for your iPod (if you have one) and it makes it so that you can plug in your camera and transter all the files to your iPod for storage.
    It kinda takes a little while to transfer and eats up battery, but if your on a trip it's nice to transfer all the files at your hotel or whatever.

On second thought though, that might blow the budget further out of the water, because you have to buy the adapter, have an iPod photo, or movie (you can't use a nano) and if you have a newer iPod then you have to buy the adapter to plug it into a wall socket so that you can charge it.