Choosing Between two Dell Monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalns, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

May 16, 2006
    Okay, so here right now I'm using a 19" 1440x900 Samsung LCD TV as my monitor, BUT I just purchased Maya 8 and I'm really getting involved with 3D modeling and animation. I want to get a new monitor with more space and a higher resolution for under 400. Here's the two I'm looking at:

Now I don't need any of those other inputs on the 20" since I plan to keep this 19" TV but does the Ultra sharp thing on the 20" justify spending more money? Obviously with the work I'm doing, more space is better so the 22" would be great, but I'm also going to be doing textures in Photoshop so I need that to be accurate color wise as well. What do you think?
  2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
    I think the UltraSharp is definitely worth the price difference. If you were to look at the specs on both, you'd see that both have 1680X1050 as their optimal resolution. I'm fairly certain that the UltraSharp will also have a higher contrast ratio and wider viewing angles. That coupled with the smaller pixel size will give you a significantly better monitor than the 22". For graphics (and animation with Maya), I's go for the 20", or if you can afford it, the 24".
  3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    The resolution on the two is the same, so I would go with the 20" if I were you since everything will be sharper and clearer. I feel like the 22" might be a bit too fuzzy for the work you need to do. If you're looking for it even cheaper, you can get the 2007FPW for $309 on the Dell Outlet store, though it's only got a 90 day warranty versus a 3-year one.
  4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Very happy with my big 24" Dell.

Once you get used to big screens its hard to go back.