Choosing RAM for my Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Penquin-007, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Penquin-007 macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2006
  2. trueheart78 macrumors member

Sep 21, 2006
    Corsair is not bad, and the main difference you see in those chips is due to how they are sold. Lots of people will buy a single stick, not everyone a dual channel kit, and even still, the wiser ones realize that 2 of the single sticks will run dual channel just fine, although there is the ever-so-slightest chance they will have different timings, or something else to offset dual channel.

I say buy the 2 single sticks and save your cash.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The Corsair ValueSelect line is not guaranteed by Corsair to work in Macs.
    In general I find the ValueSelect build quality to be adequate for generic RAM, but no more than that - very thin PC boards.

Keep looking, there are Canadian dealers who know Macs and offer compatibility-guaranteed RAM for not much more than these.

4. thr33face macrumors 6502

May 28, 2006
    i have 2gb corsair ram in the macbook and it works without problems.

the ones i have are: 2 x 1024 MB - VS1GSDS667D2

should be 2 corsair valueselect pc5300 sticks

<<i don't remeber how much i paid exactly, but should be somewhere around 160 to 200 euros.>>

i looked up the bill and i paid 155 euros for both sticks.
  5. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    I recall hearing that Crucial memory is one of the most reliable/best brands for Macs.
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    People do seem to be having better luck with cheap PC RAM (like the Corsair) in the Intel Macs than they did in the PPC Macs. That said, I'd still go with a trusted RAM vendor, such as the one oh-so-subtly hinted at by CanadaRAM. :D

Crucial RAM is good, but it's expensive, and I boycott them for their ethically questionable pricing practices anyway.

I suppose the 2 x 1 GB kit "guarantees" that your sticks are paired, giving you the performance benefit that provides. In theory, buying two of the same 1 GB sticks individually at the same time should also result in paired RAM, but there is a chance you could get sticks from different batches that had slightly different specs.
  7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    I agree. Corsair is good but they are expensive and not gauranteed. I would look around a little more. has some good ram there. The main difference between the 1 gig sold alone and the 2 1 gigs is marketing, you will be fine getting 2 1 gigs, and in general it is cheaper.