Chosing which Virex, or any at all?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdhatfield3, Jan 27, 2005.

1. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

Anyone got any input as to which Virex i should download from .Mac. The still offer 7.2.1 along with 7.5.1. I think that 7.5 has more bells and whistles but i don't always think that, that is always advantageous. Any help?

2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

7.5 offers full-time scanning of what's coming into and going out of your Mac. On my 667 PB, it took way too much of the processor and RAM. I also couldn't figure out a way to get the dang thing to stop loading on startup. So, off it went!

I've now got 7.2 on my PB, but it doesn't load at startup, it's there only for if I think there's a problem.

I've always been a supporter of having some kind of virus protection on your computer, even a Mac. I've changed my mind. I'm going commando!

Don't bother.

3. rdhatfield3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that is what i had decided. It seemed that they had tried to go and do something with 7.5 that made it act more like windoze programs. I decided on neither. thanks

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I say go with neither as well.

But if you were going to choose one 7.2 is the way to go, I've heard of bad experiences from people who installed 7.5. With 7.5 Virex installs the app into your system and it can interrupt processes to perform a 'scan', so I'd stay well clear.

Just make sure you keep up to date with the security releases from Apple and you should be dandy! :)

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

personally i would say go with nothing. i have had my pb now for nearly 18 months and after about 12 of those i tried some av software to see if anything was there. and there wasnt and it really slowed things down so i personally wouldnt bother!

6. dr bognus macrumors newbie

to be honest i wouldnt use virex. just use anything else. The version i had even after i updated the definitions still couldnt detect w97m.thus which isnt really a virus for a mac but it means you cant email word files and tries to delete a windows HD. trust me, get anything except virex even free online antivirus

7. bubbamac macrumors 6502

To be sure, when the time comes to run anti-virus apps on our Macs (it's coming), we'll want real-time active scanning. It's not really a windoze thing, it's how you've got to run it to be effective.

Hope that's not anytime soon - Virex 7.5 slowed my machine down considerably. Of course, with a G4 667, I don't have a whole lot of processor cycles to spare... :)

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

7.5 wouldn't allow me to import any video in FCPHD. How embarrassing when my Powermac would freeze while i tired to import.

Took me almost a month to figure it was Virex running in the background.