Christian question alarms flight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by numediaman, Feb 9, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Pilot reportedly promoted Christianity on flight

(CNN) -- American Airlines is investigating reports that a pilot asked passengers to identify themselves as Christians so non-Christians on board could talk to them about their faith, a spokesman has said.

Spokesman Tim Kincaid said on Sunday the incident reportedly happened Friday on Flight 34 from Los Angeles, California, to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City.

"It is under investigation," Kincaid said. "We've had some complaints about it."

Kincaid said the pilot, whose name was not released, reportedly asked Christian passengers to raise their hands before suggesting that the other passengers should discuss Christianity with those passengers.

What do you think would have happened had the pilot said "how many of you are Muslim?"

2. iGav macrumors G3

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I expect he was retireing or leaving, so he decided to go out with a bang.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ouch - I'm sure he meant well, but failed to realize the full outcome of his little proselytizing stunt....

D

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. iGav macrumors G3

the scary thing is if this fruit wanted his passengers to be closer to 'God' all he had to do was push the controls all the way forward for 60 seconds... :eek: :eek: :p

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Re: Christian question alarms flight

I can see where the pilot is coming from.

He was just sharing his faith with the passengers, while it might have been an odd way to do it, there wasn't anything wrong with it.

If you felt very passionately about something, you would want to tell everyone too.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... and these are the kind of guys they might be given weapons??

:D Now that would have been funny/scary. The piolt comes out with a gun and in an disturbed cracking voice says "Now all of you crazy non-christians raise your hand"... I'd bet there would be a lot of converts then. :p

9. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Christian question alarms flight

it's probably not the best place to do it though really is it... 30,000ft, 500mph and then calling everybody who doesn't raise their hand 'crazy'?? hmmmmmmm... nothing wrong with that at all.. :rolleyes: :p

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

he wouldn't have been the first if he did that...

11. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

[see sig.]

12. Apple //e macrumors 6502

thats my problem with these people. they feel that they know whats better for you, and that theyre doing you a favor

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Believers have faith, non-believers get a parachute?

had the passengers not brought the plane down from collective panic, someone would have been arrested under terrorism charges.

it's sad and amazing to me that, even if the pilot is reprimanded, there's something about today's society that made the pilot think his actions were okay. and there's probably a lot of people who don't see anything wrong with it.

14. 3ric macrumors newbie

Faith is just that. When I fly, I like to have faith that the guy at the helm is level-headed, sober, and focused on what he's doing. This guy clearly fails the test.

People like this have a screw loose. (No doubt he uses Windows and likes it, too.) He has no business flying a plane. I hope they fire the SOB.

15. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

He's not getting paid to tell anyone about his religion; he's getting paid to fly an aircraft. Nor is he getting paid to insult the non-Christian portion of his passengers by calling them "crazy" and implying that they're wasting their time if they don't choose to convert to his faith during the flight. The religious choices of his passengers are none of his business or concern while he is on the job, no matter how passionately he feels about it.

Darn tootin'.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that he is crazy. He certainly tried to do good in the wrong way. After 9/11 he should have know better. A better way to do proselytizing is on a one to one basis.

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: Re: Re: Christian question alarms flight

That should probably read:

thats my problem with him. he felt that he knew whats better for you, and that he's doing you a favor

Generalizing that this is something airline pilots do or that (I'm assuiming you meant) Christian's do isn't necessarily the truth. I'm very much a Christian and think this guy did a very poor job expressing his viewpoint. I apologize if you or anybody else here for that matter has had a poor experience with being told about Christianity.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i would have been scared out of my mind if he said that. i would be trying to figure out exactly why he wants me to find god before we fly up into the air :)

iJon

19. 3ric macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Christian question alarms flight

You're apologizing for what? Who are you? Jesus? How can you possibly apologize away centuries of murder, oppression, torture, discrimination, etc., that has occurred as a result of people "being told about" your wonderful religion?

Sheesh, I think this thread is ready for closure.

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Heheh... my thoughts exactly.

21. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am a christian, I go to mass every week. (usually ;)) But I would not have raised my hand for him. Just having him ask that question makes me think he is insane.

It isn't that I am afraid to show my faith, but if anybody in a position of power on an airplane brings up religion in that manner, I would be certain that somebody would be dying soon.... If not the whole plane...

(also I am a private person, I don't ever give out my birthday even...)

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Christian question alarms flight

Why you are the first flamer here, most threads have been on the lines of he should be fired. I think you need to calm down. I expect this kind of flaming crap from PC users, but not Mac users. They are meant to be a more enlightened and understanding bunch.

Anyway, I can assure you that non-christains have killed more people over the years than christians.

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Christian question alarms flight

i love it how mac users consider all pc users unmature, uneducated people, and mac users are the cream of the crop. i think your comment was more pathetic than his.

iJon

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

25. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    theres a time and place for everything

he should have stuck at the job at hand and flown the damn plan, and pointed out what you could see on the right side of the plane and left side.

People ride planes to get to A to B, not for a catechism lesson, stupid pilot, good intentions, horrible excecution