Christians Sue for Right Not to Tolerate Policies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Apr 10, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-christians10apr10,0,6204444.story

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm going to start a religion where the sole purpose is to harass and dehumanize Ruth Malhotra.

And to make me rich, of course.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Nice solidarity movement there.

"First they came for the racists, and I said nothing..."

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- just wow. When did Christianity become all about hatred and s***ing on people you don't like?

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Sign me up...... now who do I make the donation out too?:D

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, for starters, I don't believe that my Christian faith gives me the right or calls me to speak out against homosexuality, or to speak down about those who choose a homosexual lifestyle to other Christians. What does behavior like that accomplish anyway? I believe it is a sin, but one that is best discussed on a one-on-one situation because conversion by the sword does not work.

I thought it interesting that a radical conservative move like this is backed by Campus Crusade for Christ. I recently became involved with their chapter at my university, primarily because it allowed me to go down to New Orleans to help with hurricane relief during my spring break. They seem like a positive group that is interested in spreading God's word as it should be, through His love and not through a falsely self-righteous agenda of bigotry and hate. Maybe it is only certain chapters that are behind this idea.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Or maybe you haven't matriculated deeply enough yet to find the unpleasant underbelly. Perhaps they save these special missions for those they know are fully "one of us."

Like how Scientology won't even begin to tell you about Xenu and the alien with the frozens souls and the atom bomb that blew up the volcano 14 trillion years ago until you're Operating Thetan Level IV.

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Wouldn't that be a cult?

Religion is the root of all evil, not money.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think there's enough room for plenty of both.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I am curious to. I know and understand Christianity to be a religion of peace and unconditional love. When I read articles like this I feel that the faith I was raised in and try to practice on a daily basis is being eroded around me. There have been times that I have been afraid to admit that I am Christian, not because I am ashamed of Christ and what He has done for me, but because I don't what to be stereotyped in with this growing tsunami of hate.

I agree with a 'purity' of the church idea, but not at the expense of completely driving people out of church! How soon Christians forget that Christ surrounded Himself with prostitutes, tax collectors and scum. As He said, it is not the healthy that need doctoring, but the sick.

How effective would a cancer physician be if he refused patients that had cancer.

How effective can a Christian be if he refuses people because their sin is 'too great.'

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't know if the campaign is quite what I would call rational, but I think it does bring up an interesting point though. I think that there is significant pressure to bring the bedroom into the open and put relgion in the closet.

While I cannot speak on behalf of any group, but only myself, I think that these issues would be better solved by tolerance on both sides. The problem with promoting tolerance is that it has been tied - by both sides of the religion and both side for the homosexuality controversies - to acceptance. If I don't accept you, I'm labelled as intolerant. Your promotion of tolerance is a campaign for me to be forced to accept you. Do I think that people have the right to "denounce Gay Pride month at work?" Yes. Do I think they have a right to launch into a tirade against gays that they work with? No. Do I think that people have a right to "denounce Christian (or any other religious) celebrations at work?" Yes. Do I think that they have a right to rip into that person's beliefs in front of them? No.

I repeat for everybody...tolerance and acceptance are different....

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

However, I don't consider myself to be "sick" as you say.

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If that turns out to be the case, I pray that when I stop attending their weekly evening devotion that I do not lose the friendships I have made in the last month.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I understand that the responses so far are drawn from the basic theme of the article, namely, Christians vs. gay rights groups.

But how do you guys feel about the more general issues that the article addresses? For example, tolerance programs that include mandatory "diversity training" sessions, requiring employees to sign pledges to "respect and value the differences among us"?

I've never worked for a company that's large enough to have this much free time on its hands, but I do wonder if anyone here has been affected by this kind of program and how you felt about it.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- this is my definition: leave me the f*** alone and stop trying to pass laws against me. That's my definiton of tolerance. I could care less what your opinion of me is. Can't control that anyway.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

That's not the definition of tolerance that's being used in this article, though. If your co-worker were to refuse to sign a pledge to "respect and value the differences among us" -- should he lose his job?

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you should respect all other human beings no matter what differences there are between you.

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You claim to be without sin? A perfect being?

Of course I am being facetious. Everyone, myself (especially) included, sin daily and in so many ways that we do not even know. I would not do well as a Catholic because I do not know all my sin.

My core belief is the following:
    1) I sin.
    2) My sins are so numerous and I am despicable in the light of God's perfection.
    3) Nothing I can ever do has a chance to save me from the fires of hell.
    4) It is only by the single perfection of Jesus Christ and His subsequent death and resurrection that my evil is washed clean.
    5) I have been atoned for by no power of my own, and I will go to heaven.

By that belief, we are all created equal, all equally condemn by our sins, and are all equally redeemed.

19. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Did I miss the "Thou shalt not be gay" commandment? I've always wondered where these people get that idea from. I've yet to find the famous "I hate fags" phrase (allegedly in God's own words) written anywhere in the Bible, but to no avail...

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes, you should. I agree with you.

So what's your answer to the question -- should your co-workers be fired if they refuse to sign a statement that they respect and value the differences between you and them?

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I believe that yes they should because for the company it could be more trouble than it would be worth.

And the person that wont respect other people should try and act more humanly to others

I know that if i went on a rant against a gay patient at the hospital i would be fired and sued within a week

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I had to sign **** saying I won't unionize and then they made me pee in a cup.

Is it too much to ask an employee to sign a paper urging them to comply with the same standards to which the company holds itself?

24. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This one of the interesting issues that prompted me to post this article. Personally, I think the so-called Christians who are suing for the right to publicly discriminate against gays are bigots, but I wonder, what are the limits of bigotry? Surely one has the right to be a private bigot, but once that bigotry comes into the public square, then what? What's the line, and where is it crossed? Where race is concerned, the issue was decided long ago.

Incidentally, I think the "religious freedom" issue is a smokescreen. This same argument was used not so long ago to rationalize racism.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- absolutely. And that goes for everyone. If you can't act like a decent human being in the workplace, you should be fired, yes.