Christians try to block small liquor business

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Goes to show you how aggressive the xtians are being these days. They don't even need to bring up more legitimate reasons, like why the hell should a residential home have a liquor license? No, they just have to say, "It's not gawd's way" and that explains everything. :rolleyes: :(

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not so surprising. A local baptist church here drove away a restaurant in the shopping plaza across the street because they wanted a liquor license, so that they could sell wine or other spirits. They seemed quite concerned about their congregation, so why stop the restaurant? Why not keep their congregation out of it?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wonder what the "specialty liquor" is?:confused:

absinth comes to mind...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK I'll bite.

How many letters were there in total?
    The media picked out two letters that had religious grounds for objection -- how many of the others cited religion?

If there were 100 letters all citing religious grounds, then the report is representative and fair. Otherwise I smell media sensationalism here or a deliberate spin by the erstwhile proprietor of the establishment.

Something that always irks me: Someone asks for special treatment -- in this case a business license to operate a liquor import and sales business in a residential zone -- and then plays all small time and innocent and unfairly set upon -"it's only a few boxes, he's just making a few dollars for school, why are we being singled out for objection?" When in reality, it is they who are asking for the rules to be bent or an exception to be made for them.

There was a person here opened a hair salon or some such at home and erected a large sign without a permit. They squawked when they were forced to take down their oversized, non-permitted sign "why pick on the litttle people, I'm just trying to make an honest living, it's not hurting anybody unfair babble babble." Well, every other small business has to comply with the same laws, and they do it so why should you be preferentially treated because you didn't bother to take the time to check what the requirements were?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Special treatment? How so?

From the article:
    Seeking the advice of your local business advisory group doesn't sound like asking for special treatment. Sounds like he then ran an ad to make his business legit and someone decided that liquor and Christian values don't mix and that it was their business what his business was.

Sounds to me like the neighbors are the ones asking for special treatment...

That being said, without knowing what his "specialty liquor" is it's hard to make any kind of value judgment about his business. Maybe it does need to be outside a residential area or shut down. Who knows.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I hope this is just one or two isolated nutcases, because it doesn't sound like this guy is trying to do anything wrong. The Proverbs lady in particular sounds like a religious nut.

Between this and the "creationism in museums" thread, I am really, really, really getting to hate religion. I am getting so sick of these constipated moral purists telling everyone else they have to live their lives according to their book of fables.

8. mpw Guest

I wish these religious f888king idoits would stop trying to ram their unproven, unlikely and IMO totally fanciful crap beliefs down everyone else's throats.

I don't remember Jesus even applying for a license or permit before supplying all and sundry with wine he made himself, f888king moonshiner. Probably dodged taxes too.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought this kind of thing only happened in the U.S.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I have no idea how zoning works in that locality, but around here:
    Each property has a permittted use according to the zoning assigned to it in the community plan - typically a residential area is all zoned for residential use only and excludes commercial use exept in specific bits.

To open a business in a residential area would require a 'Variance' where the home owner petitions the council to provide an exception for their property to permit an infringing use. That petition is separate from a business license or a reseller registration in that the zoning change is pertinent to the use of the particular property. Neighbors have the right to oppose a zoning change that they feel will damage their neighborhood, or provide for unreasonable use within the zone -- the neighbor's petitions are considered as part of the zoning decision -- so if they don't organise their objections, then they have no say.

Thing is, once a variance is granted, it can't be taken back. There is a long history of getting a variance for one type of use with limited impact (no big trucks, just a few customers a day, won't bother anybody) and then the operation expanding to the utmost limit of the bylaws, creating the traffic, noise and disruption that was solemnly promised never to happen.

And one variance inevitibly gets used as a precedent for others, so "if my neighbor gets a liquor business, you can't deny me my application for a motorcycle repair business."

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Huh, that's odd. I don't remember anything in that article talking about a variance, which is indeed a special exemption, or a zoning change. :confused:

'Round these parts it's OK to have a small business out of your home as long as it doesn't involve people parking at your house, noxious fumes, live farm animals etc.

You do know that many people actually work out of their homes? I know several architects and engineers who do business this way. They charge money for a product that is produced in a residential neighborhood -- one zoned explicitly for residential use. I even stop by occasionally (maybe once a week) to check in on the process. Totally legal.

Heck, there's a guy down the street a ways from me here that runs a welding business out of his garage. He's constantly out there running a welding torch putting together architectural ironwork for railings and such.

Anyway, I'm just wondering where you got that this kid was getting special treatment from the article posted? Do you have other information that I don't see here? Like I said, I see nothing about zoning or variances here -- outside of your comments, which I'm not sure apply here.

I know we're all against 'special treatment' for others, but to me it sounds like this kid did everything right (except I'm a little concerned that he won't name his product) but assuming it's something that's legal to import and sell, I can't see how that's all that much different than running an eBay store out of your house...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.