Christie of NJ is done for

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Top Christie Staff Sought Lane Closings as Revenge

By KATE ZERNIKEJAN. 8, 2014

In December, Gov. Chris Christie announced the resignation of Bill Baroni, a Port Authority official, as the controversy threatened Mr. Christie’s political fortunes.

Newly released emails and text messages show that Gov. Chris Christie’s office was closely involved with lane closings on the New Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge in September, and that officials closed the lanes as retribution against the Democratic mayor whose town was gridlocked as a result.

NYT

Well, this opera seems to be over, at a least once the fat man sings and he has no choice now.

He'll have to fire a huge number of staff just to appease the republicans who are fawning all over him. There's no hope for him now in national politics now that the evidence is there to prove that he is truly the most partisan of hacks.

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Done for? I doubt it. We all know he's a bully. All this does, IMO, is increase the chances that we'll find out more stuff like this, likely worse.

3. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Would that were true. But it is my experience that the voting public has a short memory if he is put up for office.

4. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Petty politician is petty, it's no different if they sit in Jersey or DC.

If people really cared about the government and it's operation it wouldn't look the way it does. People want a scape goat and the gubmint is good for that keep electing trite and petty people and you will forever have someone to look down upon.

5. macrumors 68000

Sydde

It's not my fault!

The governor said in a statement Wednesday afternoon he “was misled by a member” of his staff and referred to the scandal as “completely inappropriate.” It’s the first comment Christie’s office has released since news broke this morning about a connection to the GWB controversy to his administration.

“What I've seen today for the first time is unacceptable," he said. "I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions.”

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In other words, the buck stops with my Deputy Chief of Staff and Port Authority appointees.

7. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Plausible deniability.

Learn about it. Use it.

8. macrumors P6

Peace

9. macrumors 601

Technarchy

Done? Hardly.

This is back east hardball.

10. macrumors 68000

Sydde

No, this is pretty easy to get outraged over. Christie's staff were retaliating a against Democratic mayor Mark Sokolich for failing to support his re-election. Not for actively opposing him, as you might expect from a Democrat, but for failing to support him.

Come on, people, this is the opposition, they oppose you, by definition.

So these staffers bottlenecked I-95 at what is probably the busiest bridge in the country, for a freaking week.

Come on people, have some sense of proportion, hardball politics should bean politicians, not spectators.

And really, a governor should take some interest in what his staffers are up to, not where the best barbecue ribs are in Trenton.

11. macrumors Core

MacNut

Like there is any good BBQ in Trenton.:p

12. macrumors 68000

VulchR

'The bucks stops with my minion.'

What a shame, Christie seemed like a pragmatist, something the GOP needs desperately.

Trenton is not as bad as people say. Camden on the other hand....

13. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Can someone please explain this situation to me? All I see is about retaliation and such in the news but I don't know what the actual retaliation is…

I just know it involved a bridge and an old lady died because an ambulance couldn't get through.

14. macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'm no Christie fan-imho he's a rino.
    But I wish you had the same scorn for the president-where does the buck stop in the executive branch? is it still bush?
    a single recent example link

[​IMG]

15. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Our mayor smoked crack and he's still running for next election. I think Christie will be fine.

The buck stopping at the top isn't really an argument that the democrats should be using, I hear Bush getting blamed for nearly everything Obama has decided to continue 6 years into his presidency.

16. macrumors 68040

Without any warning at all. All the tolls were shutdown except for one, on the busiest bridge in this country. This basically caused a 6+ hour delay.

17. macrumors 6502

lannister80

The *entire executive branch* is a little farther removed from Obama than Christie's aid is from Christie.

18. macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Nice try, kinda like saying "I can see Russia from my house." When no such thing was said. You are misquoting and then dispelling-old trick works on weak minds.

Again "Where does the buck stop in the executive branch?" When the president appoints people to run things then pretends the people he appointed never told him....I think one has to be naive to believe such nonsense.

19. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I seem to see plenty of people getting upset at Obama for the things he has been doing. The main reason Bush get's brought up is that a lot of people want to know why the right is upset at Obama when they weren't upset at Bush for doing the exact same things...

20. macrumors regular

jkcerda

pretty ironic when you consider that the left was upset at Bush but not at Obama for doing the same things
    [​IMG]

21. macrumors Core

MacNut

This won't end well for Christie, lets say he didn't know a damn thing, he fired his aid, she turns around and says oh he knew everything. Weither he knew or not he won't be able to eat his way out of this one.

22. macrumors 68000

VulchR

Perhaps my memory is failing, but I do not recall Obama harming taxpayers just to score points on somebody who disagreed with him. It seems to me the closest thing that we have seen at the federal level in recent years is the GOP manoeuvres to shut down the federal government.

23. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

If you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan.

24. macrumors G3

Huntn

I don't have a clear feeling if Christie is done or not. Certainly this will be used by his own party against him if they think he can be replaced with their own stooge.

25. macrumors 68000

VulchR

You're citing a screwup, not an intentional act of sabotage that impacted on innocent citizens.

FWIW - I love my healthcare plan. It's called the NHS, and I got to keep it.