Christmas Cold?? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Quboid, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Quboid macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I just started my christmas vacations yesterday, and after the long term i had in school, i decided to do early christmas cleaning (yesterday) so ik can make the best of the vacations. However i wake up this morning with a head ache and a tickle in my throat:( . I know these are symptoms of the common cold (FLU), and its almost impossible to resist it. But does anybody have any advice, this would really ruin an important part of my vacations.

Thanks

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Right now, go out and get some form of zinc supplement, such as Cold-eeze lozenges or chewable tablets. Also, lots of vitamin C. Pomegranate juice also makes me feel better, but that's all the time. ;)

I use chewable zinc tablets at work when people near me get colds. I never catch them. And if I ever start to get a cold, it gets rid of them or keeps them from taking hold.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Lots of Vitamin C (I use Emergen-C power I get from Trader Joe's)
    Chew some raw garlic

Lots of sleep...sleep all day if possible for the first day or two.

Warm up some high proof whiskey or bourbon in the microwave, squeeze tons of honey and juice from a fresh lemon in it. Drink one everytime you feel you can't possibly sleep anymore, then stumble back to bed.

Also lots of water.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

This happened to me last week. I always get a cold on or around the 9th of December. Weird!

I had glandular fever 3 years ago and now whenever I get a cold it takes me two weeks to get over it. :(

5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Confine youself to your bed now (and stay a little warmer than you usually want), wash yours hands a lot (you don't want anything else to take advantage of your immune system), kill whoever gave you the flu.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Freshly made fruit smoothies, lots of sleep and gargle with mouthwash to stop any secondary infections causing your throat to inflame.

And painful as it might be, stay away from alcohol. It removes zinc from your body.

7. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be my girl friend:confused:

Thanks alot, i prefer juice though, (i'm guessing they can be used interchangerbly).

Just had some orange juice, and going to bed right now. Rest is not equal to sleep right?

Sorry to hear that, are you better yet?

I always take centrum ( except for the last few days) which contains zinc, i'm go to the farmacy when i get out of bed in a couple of hours to get those zinc chewables, i'll try the pomegrant juice too.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- just remember, the zinc is the most important thing. ;)

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm glad I didn't get sick yet. I usually do a couple times a year. I've been eating more fruit and make sure I get antioxidents (tea, blueberries and such). Vitamin C and Zinc should help you some, and if you want take some Echinacea (don't know if that really helps). It sucks being sick.

10. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Sorry to be a pendant but the "common cold" and influenza are very different entities.

As for all the remedies here. Surrender to the cold or a life of paranoia (and zinc), the choice is yours.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Three shots of Aguardiente con limon will help. At least you won't be paranoid and it tastes better than what's in the kitchen zinc. :)

Attached Files:

12. 04440 macrumors member

Wow.. this is like MacDoctor.. Ha.. I like the idea of chewing on some zinc tablets.. I already got a little sneazing and such.. I might go get me some chewers.. :rolleyes:

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Nope....unfortunately not the same...so if you are reading this, get back to sleep!

And don't forget the warmed whiskey/lemon juice/honey...not only will they help you feel better and sleep, the alcohol will help disinfect while it's in there too.

And like another poster said, you want to bundle up a little more than normal too.

14. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Eat as much garlic as you can (Yes its gross and no one will want to be near you) Have soup, tea, lots and lots of liquids and nice toast. Give it a few days and you will be good as new

15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Where did you hear that from? I don't think allcohol does anything. I thought it lowered your immune system. I dunno, maybe someone else could shed light on this subject.

16. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Using the zinc is good, during the summer, someone came to work with a cold and gave it to everyone, but the person who takes the zinc. Use the zinc.

17. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Well that settles it then.

Alcohol taken orally is not going to disinfect anything, especially the kind of alcohol mentioned.

Why not try prayer; it's as well proven as other remedies offered up here.

18. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That was just a hyperbolical joke.

The best thing the warm alcohol does is makes you feel like sleeping more. Sleep really is the best medicine for someone who is ill, probably because the body can get more done to fight off the illness when it's not under the stresses of the waking world and also because they're asleep so they aren't wallowing in how misable the cold is making them feel.

19. garfield2002 macrumors regular

Try getting some Airborne Formula from your grocery or drug store. It does have zinc in it, but not the awful taste of some of those lozenges. The original orange flavor is the best. My wife swears that it saved our honeymoon. :)

http://www.airbornehealth.com/

20. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Zicam has worked great for me, my family and co-workers. It helps you to get over a cold a little sooner.

http://www.zicam.com/

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sleep.

Your body can't do its best to fight off lil' intruders if it's tired and not receiving proper nutrition. I usually feel better if I feel a cold coming on and I force myself to get more sleep (drink more water, etc.).

22. hana macrumors regular

I hope you're feeling better...

Liquids are good (not alcohol or soft drinks)
    Nice chicken soup..... yum!

Zicam and zinc work for me.

Um, Airbourne and some types of vitamin C give me gas :eek:
    But that's usually when I'm not that sick.
    So for preventative vitamin c, I have to look for that Ester C stuff.

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I'm no doc but I believe taking zinc just now won't help. I think you need to take it daily so it builds up. That's what I do and I'm a lot healthier than I used to be.