CHRISTmas, do you celebrate and why???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crdean1, Sep 15, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Some people in recent threads said that they have started to see ads for Christmas already....which made me think of this question.

1. Do you celebrate Christmas?

2. Are you a Christian?

If you do celebrate Christmas and are not a Christian, then why do you celebrate something you don't believe in (the birth of the savior)?

Thought this might be a good topic.

Alright everyone, let it fly.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Because it has become as much a secular holiday as a religious one.

3. mpw Guest

Here we go again.
    1. No
    2. No
    I don't do Christmas for me although I'm practically forced into it by society. Luckily it's got very little to do with anything religious for most people so I'm only being forced to drink more, eat more, watch TV more and work less so it ain't all bad.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I couldn't give a crap about the "meaning" of christmas, but I "celebrate" it because:

A) It's a few days public holiday ;)
    B) Present giving/reveiving time :D
    C) Booze and food :p

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I celebrate Christmas but am an atheist.

Why do I celebrate it?

I don't celebrate the "birth of Christ", which almost undoubtedly was not on December 25th. That day was chosen to fit into the already-existing Roman festival for Sol Invictus, which was nearly coincident with the very popular Saturnalia celebrations, which were in turn "appropriated" from even earlier pagan festivals at that time of year.

I celebrate Xmas because I enjoy the holiday spirit, because I was raised Catholic and so am drawn to it because of childhood experiences, and because I love doing the Santa thing with my kids.

Really, I think I celebrate that holiday season, not so much the day. Mid-to-late December has been a time for celebrations for millennia and for many different religions and groups.

6. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Yes
    Yes

I dont believe it was the day that christ was born. But its still important as it gives one day in the year to mark the birth of christ.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes,

It is an important holiday for us, just like Thanksgiving. Not because of the commercial aspect, though we do give presents.

It is more of a chance for all of us to get together for a few nights (large family) and enjoy good food, conversation, and stories. I live in the Northern US, so with winter it is nice to be inside with family!

I am going "big" this year on presents for my mom, but it isn't what you think. She has been wanting to listen to some of her older records for years, but hasn't been able to. I am buying her a new iPod nano, and I am working on digitizing her records (behind her back) to give to her loaded on her new iPod.

She loves Apple computers, and good music so I feel she is worth it ;)

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I celebrate in the period around the winter solstice because it's the end of an old year and the beginning of a new. Just like people have for millennia. Of course, if I was in Australia, I'd be doing it in June. ;)

9. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Yes, it was not when Christ was born, so research shows...While I am a Christian, please don't think I don't want people to celebrate Christmas unless they believe like me.

While I wish all would come to know Christ as savior, he has definitely changed my life (so why wouldn't I want people to experience that), I love the fact that Christmas can be a time to bring families together, like many of you have said, whether you are a Christian or not.

Like iGary said, it has become a secular holiday as well...and people take time off of work, and have parties, etc.

I was just wondering if any of you that aren't Christians think about spiritual things (which we all do at some point, I believe) during Christmas.

10. dcv macrumors G3

yes and yes (though not by choice). it's a tradition really and we always celebrate it as a family.

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm not christian, but I celebrate it because of it's become a tradition. My parents are christian, and maybe I used to be once, too.

I never cared for the reasons behind christmas. When I was younger it was all about the presents. Now, I just see it as a nice time for the whole family to be together.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You're a Christian, but not by choice? :confused:

Anyways. Yes, I celebrate Christmas and yes, I'm a Christian.

Very cool idea. I did something similar for my wife a few years ago, digitized some audio tapes of live music performances (i.e. tapes that she couldn't just go out and buy on CD anywhere). I think your Mom will really appreciate the effort you've put into her gift.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yes, and yes

while my family is very religious (i'm the black sheep in that regard), we've always embraced the giving aspect of the holiday as well. but not before we've sang happy birthday to jesus! hah.

but seriously, it's a great time to be with family, eat good food, and for those that believe, celebrate an important occasion (not the specific day)...

jsw- just out of curiousity for a parent who isn't religious... i assume you don't mention the religious aspect of the holiday at all to your kids? which leads to the general parenting question of how do you deal with it when your kids ask about their friends who are talking about jesus's birthday, etc.? just curious.

word

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Exactly.

Another thing is that it's just a few days past the solstice which is far more worth celebrating than some crummy old religious festival. ;)

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, I'm not religious, but my wife is, I used to be (a long time ago), and I don't have any issue with the kids being raised with an understanding of and participation in a religion. So... my nearly-5-year-old goes to church with her, and my infant will go at some point as well, and, occasionally, I go too just too be a part of the family. While I don't buy the organized religion "thing", I do think there's value in spirituality. I also think there's value in my kids seeing that their parents have different views on the subject, and it's OK for them to form their own beliefs as well. While I'm an atheist (or close to it), I have no problem with them being religious if they so choose. My problem is never with people being religious so much as it is with (a) people trying to shove their religion down your throat; and (b) people who ignore reason or reality and blindly choose actions or policies based solely upon religion. I'll teach my kids to think, but how they use that skill will be up to them.

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

awesome. sounds exactly like the approach my girlfriend and i would take with our kids (she's not religious, and i have many issues with the catholic church and organized religion in general)... but we both see value in raising the kids with an open mind to religion/spirituality, and then letting them decide for themselves when the time comes....

not to drive things off topic too much.... but did you have a church wedding?

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Of course! ;)

I think that, if either of the people getting married or many of the guests (esp. the parents/immediate family) would prefer a church wedding, then, unless you have strong and sincere objections to it, it'll make some people important to you happy and shouldn't bother anyone else.

As far as I'm concerned, that whole atheism thing allows me to pretty much say whatever they expect me to in religious ceremonies without worrying about it. The important thing is the marriage. Where the wedding takes place isn't a big deal. The religious context of a church wedding isn't a big deal. The essence of what you say and agree to - which is, in essence, the same in religious and secular weddings - is far more important than the exact wording.

18. mpw Guest

Same here. I know that religion, as 99% of people I’m in contact with who claim to have a religion persuasion practice it, is crap but my wife (for reasons best known to her at the time and admitted by her later to be little to do with religion, yay I got a switcher) wanted a Church do.

I was up-front with the minister, Church of England, about my beliefs and they sat down and chatted to me for a while. They then decided that my basic beliefs weren’t out of line with what they understood their God to want even if I was coming from it from a different view-point and were happy to preside.

Interestingly they did say I’d need to go for an ‘interview’ with their boss (the Dean, not their God) to get the final OK and when I turned up he didn’t hesitate in OK’ing it, didn’t ask any pertinent or probing questions just said that we’d have to pay an extra £120! Suddenly I felt I understood Christianity a little more!!

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

mpw- you're married? first lacero and then you... frightening......

jsw and mpw- yeah, i agree in general. my problem is just that my girlfriend has said she wants to get married outside (ideally on a beach) and can't see herself getting married in a church. that said, she knows it's important to me (at least to have some spiritual/church side). being catholic, there's the whole pre marriage counseling thing... and she knows about that. i think the main thing they want to know is if you have kids, whether they will be raised catholic, which i've already covered. i need to find out if you can have a catholic ceremony outside a church building. hmmmmm

20. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Because it was a celebration of life before the Christians commandeered it. For me, it's an opportunity to do nothing more than spend time with friends and family, reflect upon the year passed, and appreciate what I've got.

Christmas as "Jesus' Birthday" is a hack, anyway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Jesus'_birth_and_death#Date_of_Birth

21. mpw Guest

hmmm not sure how to take that?

You know what wives hate?

Being introduced as “My current wife.” or when people ask “Hey mpw, is this your daughter?” and I reply “Yes. This is my daughter with my first wife.” while she (my first, current and only wife, so far) is standing there.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Maybe if you offer to pay an extra £120. ;)

I hope it all works out in a way you both like. FWIW, even though it's hard to appreciate while in the midst of planning a wedding (esp., often, for the woman), the wedding - no matter where it takes place or what the details happen to be - only lasts an hour or so at the most. You'll be so stressed (and/or distracted by) about a million things that you'll barely remember it. It's the marriage part that matters. Well, that and an open bar at the reception.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

first - i have to pay in pounds??? damn! hah

second - so i take that to mean that my hope to have an alcohol free wedding is a BAD idea? :)

yeah, i know it'll all work out. i'm just constantly seeking various possibilities and seeing what other people have done.

mpw- no offense ;) was just making a joke about the general content of many of your posts.... thanks for the tips on wives. gold

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, not at all! Alcohol free weddings are a great idea. You should always wait until the reception before letting people get drunk. ;)