Christmas gift food ideas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikebatho, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Hooray!

I've just been invited to a friend's place for Christmas, so I won't be spending it alone...

What I'm thinking is I'll take along something as part of the Christmas dinner - either a starter, part of the main course (an addition - they're cooking for me) or a desert.

I'm an excellent cook, and could come up with something myself, but I thought it might be nice to go with something you could give me on here.

So there's the challenge. Recipes for 1: a starter, 2: a vegetable dish that would suit a traditional main course, or 3: a knockout desert/pudding (in UK, pudding (desert) can mean cake, pie, or anything you might eat after the main course, not US pudding)

Go nuts. International ideas are all welcome, no matter how obscure!!

PS. I'm pretty sure the meat on the day will be turkey...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Number 2. a vegetable dish that would suit a traditional main course.

I woudl suggest Delia Smith's roast winter vegetable gratin. With roast swede, celeriac, sweet potato, parsnip etc.

Don't have the recipe immediately to hand but it's effing gorgeous.

5. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bring it on....c'mon, more!!

I'm looking for some old family favourites......

Also, we don't really do the sweet & savoury thing over here....

We'll have the savoury dinner and maybe have cranberry sauce for turkey or apple sace for pork, but we're not used to having a sweet vegetable on the side like candies yams.....

I want an international dish that I have to prepare myself to thank these guys for having me over at Chrismas.....either to begin, have with the main, or end with.....

Ideally for starter or pudding, a sh**load of alcohol would work.

We're used to a tonne of booze in our trifle, but I'm trying to avoid that....

6. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, another thing is that the plate will probably be made up in the kitchen & served up complete, with the option to go top up, rather that all the platters be placed on the table.....so if it's an addition to the main course, it will have to be something that can be served up onto the side of the plate in the kitchen......

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, sorry, i'm just trying to get people to suggest something that will sit well with the meal that I'll be sitting down to...

After all, I am the guest, and I'm having the meal cooked for me (even though they're providing a non-meat option for me)

I just want to take something along that everybody is going to enjoy, either with the main main course, or before or after.....

9. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, that's the idea....

A main plate -adder-on-

Or a great starter, or brilliant desert........

10. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

A traditional vegetable side dish, or a getting in with the British throw, a heavily alcohol laced desert!!! Or an imaginative starter soup.....

11. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

french crepes with nutella....and maybe some banana yummmy..... :D :cool:

13. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I can see them going nuts when I arrive with crepes & nutella!!!

I can't believe there's nobody out there with a family recipe to pass on & make my contribution to this Christmas feast worthy!!.......!!

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my mom makes a string bean thing, with mushroom soup and then puts potato sticks on top... sounds weird but its good
    Also my mom makes a carrot thing where u take honey and yams/sweet patato and cook it together so its sweet...

15. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enough of vague "potato string thing things" Lets have recipes!!! I'm not saying I want only stuff from a book, old family favourites can be the best

Just pile the ideas on....

I've got ideas for a mail course veg, but could use a family 'classic' for desert..........a sterter is probably easy.....uk.....booze related...........

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm sorry if i don't know what their called, i don't cook..... unless it involves a microwave :rolleyes:

17. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, wasn't being funny, I was just hoping for one or two family gems that I could take along to show my thanks.....

Can nobody provide some great recipes to fill me with inspiration...?

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Although this community can be wonderfully diverse and resourceful, don't you perhaps think that solely relying on us to come up with culinary advice for your Christmas dinner is a little like putting your free-range organic eggs in one basket?

You could also try here, here or here.

Of course, in the interests of food safety, I'll only be too happy to sample any of the recipes that you might prepare. :)

19. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nahh....purely a source of ideas.

I have a wealth of skills to call upon in the kitchen, and if need be, the assistance of published chefs to fall back on...

I just thought it would be nice to turn up with something a little different. I can cook well, and if somebody posted an individual recipe for a family fruit cake, I could easily make it, although I was hoping for either a regional or international twist.....

I just thought with such a culturally diverse group of people on here, I could take something really charming along on Christmas Day,,,,,,,