Christmas horror movie offends religious groups

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

Maybe I missed something, but when did these "Christian" groups turn into al-Qaeda? This reminds me of the fanatical Muslims who got so upset over a few cartoons depicting Mohammed.

In point of fact, I saw the original movie, and while not the finest work of art, it wasn't bad. Christmas only provides the backdrop for the slasher flick; counterpoint, as it were. The original did not mock Christmas or Christians, and I doubt this one does either.

And as Dimension Films points out, it's hardly the first movie to pair horror with Christmas time.

But these jackasses need something to be offended by.

Get a life, losers.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's almost as bad as releasing the film "JVG" on Atheist Day.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Easter really the most sacred holiday for Christians? I was raised Catholic and am still a sometimes practitioner and I always thought the whole point was Jesus dying for our sins and rising from the dead... His birth has just become the most commercial holiday and hardly the most sacred.

Maybe these people should study up on Christianity before claiming to be Christian.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You'd think someone with that much time on their hands would have something better to do than form an orginzation called Operation Just Say Merry Christmas. :rolleyes:

5. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Gee those athiests. When did they turn into a secular al Qaeda? They have nothing better to do than bitch and moan about Christians. :rolleyes:

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's true but they don't get gifts on Easter. ;)

Wasn't there a film about a killer Santa? The title that comes to mind is "Silent Night, Bloody Night" and it was withdrawn.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the first place, I'm a Catholic atheist. :rolleyes:

And in the second place,
    I dunno...I'm not seeing it.

8. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

The point is you call people jackasses for having an opinion different than yours. You don't like what they say? Fine, make an argument against it. But to call them jackasses over their beliefs is just childish.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the difference is that those offended by the movie want someone else to change their behavior, such as releasing the movie on a different date, changing the title, et. al.

those making fun of those who are offended aren't demanding anything, they're just commenting. there's a big difference between "do as i do/say" and "live and let live."

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you as much as called me an atheist without knowing what you were talking about.

And I thought I was making my argument when I said:

To simplify: their claims are remarkably inconsistent (given the horror movies that have gone before); unless they can show that this movie "defames" Christmas and Christians, their position doesn't have a leg to stand on; and in any case they are trying to attach it to a larger argument that someone is "ignoring" and "omitting" Christmas, which as we well know by now is a bogus "controversy".

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They are not being called jackasses over their beliefs. They are being called jackasses because of their ignorance and their arrogance. The Christian religion does not own the year's end, or any other time of year. Millions of people around the world do not share this festival, and considerable numbers are unlikely to survive the holiday period due to a Christian-backed war machine on the loose in the very area in which the religion began.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I just went and saw the trailer for myself, and its Christmas tableau seems to consist primarily of colored lights and mentions of Santa, reindeer and presents.

I doubt Jesus himself would be offended by this film. If He were here to see the trailer, He'd probably say, "Holy Me, that looks like a creepy flick!"

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

14. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

B'HaO

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just a Peter, Mary and Joseph happy thought interlude....

though I don't suppose Joe was in there ....carry on. :)

Attached Files:

17. calculus Guest

calculus

I'm intrigued that more and more often various groups think they have a right not to be offended. If it's not for you, whatever it is, then stay away from it.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Whenever a group has the words "Traditional Family Values" either in their title or stated aims, the alarm bells go off. In America it's all harking back to the 1950s. Over here they go look to the Victorians. Nostalgia and oppression hand in hand. Lovely.

19. pdham macrumors member

I think this sums it up nicely. As a Christian even if I was offended by this, which I'm not, I wouldn’t feel I had any right to demand it be changed, or its release date be moved.

Lastly, since when is santa and reindeers part of the Christian holiday. Now a movie about a homicidal baby Jesus... that would offend me.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"On December 25th, get ready for Gold, Frankincense, and Murder"

brilliant!

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Didn't Agatha Christie already do that one?

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

And where is the scorn and condemnation of the real-life deaths of hundreds of innocent Iraqis during the Christmas holiday? I'm not hearing much of it. They're more concerned over a ****ing movie. :rolleyes:

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Where is ANYONES scorn and condemnation of the real-life deaths of hundreds of innocent Iraqis? Youre blaming Christians for something most people do.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

No. 'Family values' refers to the value attached to the family unit. It has nothing to do with deceased royalty or the contemporaneous society. With the modern drastic increase in single-parent families and the resulting detrimental effect on society (welfare/crime) I don't think anyone can consider family values to be a bad thing.

Regarding the movie, Christmas evolved from the pagan winter solstice celebration in the first place. It is now a time of merriment, vis-a-vis getting pissed, eating more than necessary and lusting after the iPod you hope to open Chrimbo morn. Although Jesus's birth is also in the mix, the merriment the aforementioned God-botherers are complaining about being perverted is of a very secular nature anyway. If they were complaining that not enough of us were going to 'carols by candlelight' services I could more understand it.

And :rolleyes: for good measure.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Kalns, while I see what you're saying, I think that people getting their undies in a bunch over a stupid movie (and I'm sure the film probably sucks) is silly. There should be more pressing matters to address, don't you think? I believe that is what is at issue here. There have been numerous horror films made around/about the holidays in the past, and no one made a fuss. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night,_Deadly_Night

Regardless of our disagreements on certain issues, you should know that I have a ton of respect for you. I don't think anyone here is ridiculing anyone's beliefs, just their reactions to something that is irrelevant to those beliefs. And a stupid film is always irrelevant, no matter what. This movie is a goofy horror film- no more, no less. For people to freak out about it is pretty ridiculous. Trust me, I've been in many films that truly would offend the Religious Right (one got a bomb threat in NYC). To freak out about this piece of Hollywood crap is wasting time and energy. I hope we can both agree on that.