Christmas Ideas For Her.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xJulianx, Dec 5, 2006.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

So, we have just had our 1 year anniversary (Nov 21st). Last year I bought her lots of little things and put them into a wrapped up shoebox, I got her pictures of us, perfume... the usual.

This year, I WAS getting her an iPod nano and some other bits and peices, but her parents called me to make sure I wasn't going to get her an iPod as they are. So I'm back to last years plan of buying lots of little things, I'm going to get her the same perfume, only a bigger bottle as she has run out of it and it's half price at Boots currently :D but I thought I would go one step further with the photo thing.

Basically, I was thinking of getting her fav picture of us blown up and put onto canvas. Any ideas how much this could cost or if there is anywhere online that offer that kind of service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, just list ideas in general, could be a very good resource for all the guys out there. :)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

:eek: I'm shocked and appalled! *makes note*.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Better be number one with a bullet on your list of ideas.

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

There is a shop up near us, Edwin Talbot, we have just been doing the Windows for them, they do the photos onto canvas thing. Edwin Talbot I dunno if he'll deal with you over email, but I think he does. There is an email address at the bottom of the page, hes a spot on the guy and they start at £30.

Let me know how you get on. :)

6. bozigle macrumors regular

Ha ha ha
    big mistake!
    The more stuff don't mean the better!
    Girls don't want stuff as much as Dudes want (fast simplification and there are girl around that do like Stuff and also Dude that don't) and the price is not that important as long as it doesn't shine "really cheap"
    Looks what SHE likes and not what you king of would like yourself.
    If you're not sure ask her close friends (not her familly since parents lose touch with their children when puberty hit them (the childs... not the parent... well maybe too))
    Try to remember what she said she'd like to do... but you didn't find time to do it yet.
    Better do something that you know she like and that you don't. This way you're sure you're not doing yourself a present.

bozigle

nota: i got my girlfriend an ipod last year :D

7. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Thanks for that, I might send him a quick E-Mail. Come to think of it, there are a few arty shops that sell canvas paintings and stuff in Brighton near where I live, might pop into a few of them and see what they say.

8. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

We have been a couple for over a year now, and I knew her for about a year before that, I know her very well. And I know that the price of things means squat to her, it's the amount of thought and effort I put into it.

Getting her an iPod, though expensive, requires very little effort, also, you could buy an iPod for anyone and they would be happy, it's not a very personal gift. Whereas, if I go out and buy her a perfume I like the smell of, it shows I have gone out and spent time choosing.

The canvas idea is personal for obvious reasons.

I suppose different people vary, but I know this is how my girlfriend prefers gifts, it did come from her own mouth after all.

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i recently got a pic of our 2 yr old son blown up onto canvas.. cost about £45-50.. really nice!!

when i can access my emails i'll post the site here..

as for xmas pressies.. damn, my wife has lots this year!!

took her to see george michael on saturday at NEC, going to see Chicago at the theatre this saturday and Kylie in January!!! :D

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

See, this is why I suggested the good shag. Get a few books, read up on a few different techniques (just a few, don't get too OTT) and practice them with her until you're confident.

Then on Christmas pull out all the stops and give her the shag of her life. She'll appreciate being able to pull her "O-Face" on multiple occasions and without pretending waaay more than an iPod.

And if you can stay in form it's the gift that keeps on giving.

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

mine gets a good shag anyway :D

12. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Wow, thats quite a christmas she's getting. I have booked tickets for me and my girlfriend to go and see the Lion King in London come the New Year, thats her'main' christmas present this year.

She keeps hinting for me to take her to see a band live with me, wether she means a band she likes, or a band I likes she has never specified. Could surprise her with a Fear Before the March of Flames gig haha!

http://www.myspace.com/marchofflames (no, you won't like them)

13. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

We have a healthy sex life already thanks.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

1/2 c. White Gold, Diamond Ring Pendant.

They are beautiful and pretty. Got one for my girlfriend. A little teddy bear is holding it for christmas.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's just what the bored people say. :D

You do realise I'm just stirring the pot don't you?

I think the photo-on-canvas idea is a ripper. Not only is it personal and thoughtful but it's something everybody can benefit from and she can really show it off.

16. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Haha sorry, I thought you were being serious and was starting to think "what a jerk" :eek: I have an awful track record for detecting sarcasm/funny remarks on the internet. Apologies.

Thanks for backing up the canvas idea though, I'm really starting to be taken by this idea.

17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Good idea with the photos. That's sure to melt her heart, but if you're going to give her perfume, she'd much much prefer it if the bottle was purchased from the most expensive boutique in town. Girls love not so much the gift, but the place you bought it! Good luck! :)

luv ya, xoxoxo

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like the canvas idea too. :) There a couple of threads here on MR from people who've used canvas printers....generally the feel seems positive:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=194696

I've used MPIX but not for canvas. I've always framed photo prints. I've used MPIX for printing them and then PictureFrames.com for frames and mats, and I've been very happy.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If you want that added touch, why not gift her a bunch of music for her new nano; or set up a playlist of tunes that mean something to the both of you? Spicy has a good point about where you buy the present, if you don't get it at the 'boutique', you should at least get it wrapped like it came from one of those expensive shops!

...As long as it's not a good jolly rogering... save that for September 19th. :cool:

Yes this thread is a good idea. In general guys need more female input on what to get for our wives, girlfriends etc. I must admit I'm having a hard time coming up with a gift for my wife, this is our first christmas (as husband and wife) so I'd like to do something memorable... The picture on a canvas is a good idea, but my wife has some odd requirements out of the art she wants in our home.

20. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

If she's anything like me she'll want Guitar Hero 1 and 2 for the PS2 for Christmas :D

21. bozigle macrumors regular

22. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I really enjoy shopping for my wife, so I'll give some ideas...

Make her something (last year I made my wife a stand up cross with river stones glued to a wooden (cross) base, and grouted the whole thing. She loved it. (will post pic later)

Buy her a handbag. I like coach (always classic), longchamp, kate spade (a bit trendy, but some nice ones), and cole haan.

Buy her a "spa package". Either at the regular spa, or for home. Check out stuff from philosophy.

Buy her something soft, such as a robe. Check out barefoot dreams.

If she is more of an outdoors type, Mountain Hardwear, Montbell and Golite have some great down jackets and other women (fit & style) specific outerwear.

Anything from Anthropologie. Great Store.

The last couple of Christmases, I have been buying my wife some makeup from MAC Cosmetics, particularly the lipglass.

Bottom line, you know her, and you know what she likes. Think about conversations you two have had, her interests, and you will find something great.:)

23. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'll second that! If you can afford it.

Actually just about all crdean1's suggestions are really good.

24. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, I went out and bought her some of her favourite perfume, and also a 3cd album of all the best Disney songs (Don't ask).

Thankyou for all of the links to the photo on canvas websites, great help there. Also loving some of the other suggestions. Maybe make this a sticky for the xmas period, looks like it's going to be a great resource for all of the guys this xmas.

Cheers guys :)

25. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Most girls I know would prefer *one* significant gift (e.g., piece of jewellery) over several medium-priced knick knacks. Favorites are always gifts that are both feminine and romantic, *and* that we would never buy for ourselves, such as jewellery, high-end lingerie (La Perla), or over-the top luxurious cosmetics and skin care gift sets (e.g., Lancome skin care gift set).

I would melt if a boyfriend put a necklace around my neck or ring on my finger at Christmas. Memorable gifts in my life have been engraved iPods, Tiffany's necklace, Powerbook, romantic trips to exotic locales, etc.

Women love men who are charismatic and decisive -- and giving one big gift in some way shows confidence and decisiveness.