christmas present dilemna!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aurah, Dec 28, 2004.

1. aurah macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2004
    in a big xmas surprise, my mom bought me a powerbook (15" with just the minimal outfit) and printer (epson cx4600). only problem is that i think i need more than 256k ram and 60 mg. i mostly write on the computer, but i also use audio software to edit sound files (probably protools) and i will probably be doing some things on photoshop. i do not have a digital camera, so i don't really need the epson printer b/c i just want to print text, at a much faster pace then it supposedly prints. since mwsf is just a few days away, i was thinking i might take the computer and printer back to the apple store from whence it came and get a store credit, and then return in the middle of january to buy a 15" powerbook, with hopefully more power for the same price. does this sound like a good move, or am i over-estimating the amount of ram and mg i need? (i know v. little about computer inner-workings.)

2. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004
    To be honest - I would do exactly that!
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Middle of January: 3 weeks away.
    You'll prob. won't see changes to PBs by then.
    And if you do, then the machines won't be available for a while...

256mb RAM is not much, purchase more asap esp. for audio & Pshop.
    HD: 60gb is quite a lot: see how it goes. You can always upgrade it later or get an external drive.

Swap the printer for a personal laser printer, if printing text is your thing.

Wouldn't your mother be a little hurt if you swapped/exchanged the present she bought you?

I think you're overestimating how quickly price reductions/new models may be available...
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Sounds like a good idea, so long as your mum doesn't mind.

You will want a damn sight more than "256k" and "60 mb" too, at least 256MB & 60GB ;)
  5. aurah thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2004
    of course i meant 256 mb and 60 gb - v. long day at work and i am v. tired. :)

as for the new pricing - that was suggested in the rumors in early december - i don't know if that's reliable or not, but i would hate to buy a computer and then find out a month later it is selling for $200 less.

my mom is already kind of upset, but i would rather her be upset that to be stuck with a computer that doesn't run the programs i need it to - she should have told me in advance so i could have given her specs.

but if nothing will change after mwsf, does anyone know if i can return a pre-configured computer to the physical apple store and buy one w/more oomph, specially configured? it sounds like (from reading some audio boards) that i need at least 512mb of ram - but i dont have $500 for the next 15" upgrade - and dont really need a dvd-burner. so i would prefer to order the basic 15" w/ more ram but no other extras. would it be worth getting the 80gb upgrade too?
  6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Just by ram from and install it your self(it's very easy, if your worried just read the manuel) and when the time comes that you need more GB
    just buy an external hard-drive.... Dont under-estimate the 15" powerbook its a powerfull machine.