Christmas snooping...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    ..so how many people hunt around the house to find out what Christmas presents they have?

This question inspired by the fact my mother told me this morning that she ordered my Christmas present from the website that I work for. So, in theory, I could go and look up the order system and find out what it is...
    I haven't and I won't but, knowing I could know, is killing me!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My wife seems to be a big fan of the phrase, "Once a peeker, always a peeker", all because I related a nice story from my childhood where I just happened to become proficient at removing scotch tape with a Henckel paring knife. And thus enabling the gift wrapped packed to reveal it's contents all on it's own. Casue and effect, people, I wasn't actually peeking, I was simply removing tape. :rolleyes:

But I'm older now..

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I usually know what I'm getting from my parents. They get me little surprises though. When it comes to the big stuff, they only get what I ask for and they usually make me pick it out. Saves on returns that way. Now my girlfriend and sister are a different story. My sister has my present at her college dorm, which I can't go see. But my girlfriend has my present in one of her closets. She told me not to go in there. I have a key and she is at work. Hmmmm....I guess I better not. :eek:

4. Chubypig macrumors 6502

I always feel like peeking takes the fun out of christmas. :p

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

VERY True.

I started out doing the tape technique. The parents got wise and then I had to search for the store receipts. Half of the fun was the challenge to find out. Each year they made it harder, and each year I had to beat the system.

Now, I go high tech. I take my packages and XRay them (I work at a veterinary facility). Sometimes it is very hard to tell, and that is the fun part.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ooo, so you get radioactive socks? :)

when I was younger I did xmas snooping.
    Now, I don't really do it.

I DO know that I'm getting a 30 gig 4G iPod, though. I was there when she bought it...
    and my mom was going to get me an iDog. You know, you plug your headphones into it and it dances or something..
    Yeah. No. I told her to not get it. You can do better stuff with $25 than get a dancing dog.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Muahaa! I don't know whether to applaud you or offer you up to the spanking gods.. :)

Does that mean they'll stay warm longer? Nice.. I smell a fiduciary opportunity..

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I am already using my Christmas present - a Dell 2005FPW. It came last week and I told my folks that I might very well have to be sedated if I wasn't allowed to open it right away. Anyway I paid for half of it....I couldn't stand looking that big box anymore.:D

When I was 5 or 6 I stumbled upon a pile of poorly hidden Christmas presents and started opening them. To this day my mom has barely forgiven me for that. ;)

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not applicable.

Seriously though, my parents always give my sister and me our gifts 'before' Christmas in that we choose what we'd like. Hee. I've already been using my gifts this year.

A white Coach handbag, a Fairisle sweater from j crew, and other assorted items. :eek: :D

My boyfriend can't keep gifts secret-- he caved in and already gave me my Christmas gifts (OEM interior storage compartments that didn't come stock w/ my MINI).

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Awwwwww... nothing says love like an OEM interior storage comparment that doesn't come stock with a mini!

Practical AND romantic!

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hey you! You bein' a jerk? :p I've wanted these parts since before I got my MINI! :D Haha. And they aren't cheap, either. And who says practical can't be appreciated and loved? Hmph. :p

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My wife wants underpants for xMas. I refuse to purchase underpants and gift them. I told her if she bought underpants for me, then their price only counts as 10 cents on the dollar towards our limit.

Underpants for a gift, indeed.

Next someone will give me a sweater with a smarmy holiday logo on it!

[​IMG]

:eek:

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Careful... what if she requests Agent Provocateur? Or La Perla? HAHAHHA. The price of one single undie might be greater than your budget (can't say w/out knowing your gift-giving budget for each other).

And what's wrong with that sweater? :confused: I think it's cute. I'm kidding! I'm kidding!!! Oh goodness, I hope I don't receive a million PMs offering cheesy holiday sweaters.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

She certainly appears to be having a grand ol' time, no? Or she can fake it real good-like!

That's ok, I don't mind breaking the limit. I always do anyway.. limits are meant to be broken, right?

EDIT: There's no ****ing faking a good time in this one. Where's the "emoticon" for "painful death"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

:eek:

Compared to that, the bunny suit from "A Christmas Story" look spiffy. Heck, any sweater that I have owned look smashing compared the the flamingos. (of course my old sweaters were all knitted by one of my grandma's).

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As a kid I tended to find stuff before it was under the tree. I'd riffle thru sock drawers, under beds, in closets. Even braved the scary attic. :D

Lethal

17. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I live by myself, so I could hunt all over the house all day long and I wouldn't find any Christmas presents. I hid them very well...

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

When I was a kid I was great at snooping. Of course my mom just stacked all of the presents on a chest in plain view, how could I not snoop?

Once I started college it ended since I didn't get home until a couple days before x-mas anyway. Now it's more fun to be the one hiding gifts since my wife is the main snooper. She can buy my gifts put them in the spare room and just tell me not to go in there and I'm fine. I however have to go to great effort to hide her gift so that she doesn't know I bought it or where to find it.

I have more fun keeping her gifts a surprise than I would finding out what my gifts are.

And our daughter isn't old enough to snoop yet.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

Are you sure she used the long "e" there? :p

As for me, I don't like to try and find out what I got. First of all, we don't do anything too big for each other, and secondly, I'm too busy keeping the kids out of their stuff.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Don't celebrate Christmas, but as far as Chanukah goes, I think I know what I'm getting so I haven't bothered snooping.

22. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I already know what I'm getting because my technology-illiterate parents called me to make sure they were getting the right thing.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, she DOES have a thick Oregonian accent, so I could have misheard it. You know, that might explain a lot of other things. Hmmm... :eek:

"Hmmmmmmm...."

(hopefully the pigtails are apparent.. screw it, I'm Photoshoptarded.)

Attached Files:

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

^^^^

LOL. Nice. :D

Really though, they can get into things you'd never expect they would, so I have to be careful with where we put stuff. Once I get the attic stairs installed, that will be the next good place to keep stuff.

25. dali macrumors member

I dont live with my parents anymore but if I was living at home. I would certainly do it, and after I saw them, lots of regrets, because I really didnt want to see them but I couldnt behave myself.... Yeah thats me.