'Christmas Story' Home Sold on eBay

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Apr 4, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

'Christmas Story' Home Sold on eBay

CLEVELAND (April 4) - The home where the classic holiday movie "A Christmas Story" was filmed has been purchased on eBay by a California man for $150,000. Brian Jones could not resist when his wife told him eBay was offering the Cleveland home where the film family lived in the 1940s and the main character, a boy named Ralphie, daydreamed of shooting bad guys with a BB gun he hoped to get for Christmas.

The starting bid for the four-bedroom house was $99,999.

Jones, 29, of San Diego, plans to restore the home's exterior to the deep yellow with green-trimmed windows it had in the movie and revamp the interior to resemble its movie appearance.

He also wants to create a museum in the home and open a gift store selling items linked to the movie, including Ovaltine, Little Orphan Annie decoder rings and "leg lamps" like the one Ralphie's father proudly displayed in the front window of his family's house.

Two years ago, Jones started a Web site and began selling 45-inch-tall lamps of a woman's leg in a fishnet stocking and high-heel shoe.

"A Christmas Story," is based on the writing of Jean Shepherd, who died in 1999.

The movie was filmed in 1983. It is Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. property, and the National Entertainment Collectibles Association, in Clark, N.J., holds a license for marketing products from the film, including the lamps.

Warner Bros. had no comment on Jones' museum proposal or any property rights involved, a studio spokesman said last week. NECA did not respond to a message last week.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

aww hell.

i didn't even get to put in a bid!

seriously tho... i went through a phase where i was obsessed with that movie... im just thinking living in that house would be creepy, melancholy, or both. to each his own.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My wife and one of my close friends love that movie. I think that because I didn't see it as a young kid, I never formed a deep attachment to it. I like it though.

I wonder if this is more a labor of love for this guy or good business. $150,000 doesn't seem like much for a famous house, although I'm used to the DC housing market, where that wouldn't even buy you a one bedroom condo in most parts of town.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That seems amazingly cheap for a house. ESPECIALLY a famous one. :confused:

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

It's Ohio. :rolleyes:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

7. angelneo macrumors 68000

8. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Can you say "lawsuit"?

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    haha :)

seriously

iw ouldnt want to live in that house, just not my style. but i guess if its your dream home its your dream home right

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah? So what! You wanna make somethin' of it, Mr. I-live-in-the-future-birthplace-of-Captain-Kirk boy?

:D

BTW, I loved that movie, watched it when I was little and Santa's elves scared the sh*t out of me. :eek:

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Something tells me that the NACA isn't exactly tight on the quality of the items or who they license images to. Look at this scary piece:

Attached Files:

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Another creepy one here. It's almost as if he's saying "if you wash my mouth out with soap again I'll shoot YOUR freekin' eye out."

Attached Files: