Christmas - What to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAztec, Dec 10, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey. I am not sure what to get for xmas, and my parents need to know. Here is what I am thinking of.

Denon DCM-12 Speakers (nice ass speakers)

OWC Mercury 1.25GHz upgrade card for my G4 400 (100MHz bus). The machine already has 1GB RAM, and a Radeon 8500. Would this be worth it?

Nice Sony receiver and DVD player.

Apple iPod (I dont know about this, because I dont have a car yet)

Dell 18" LCD

Any other ideas? You can see the price range I am in.

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I'm sure those Denon's aren't nearly as good as Klipsch multimedia speakers! Those Klipsch multimedia speakers put B&Ws to shame!

:rolleyes:

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hehe, what Klipisch speakers? These Denons are, so far, the best speakers I have ever ever heard.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The processor upgrade will be the best thing for you to get... your entire comp will run faster and you will notice the difference in every way.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Any other things you guys can think of? I dont know if I want a comp upgrade because I will probly be getting a new laptop within a year

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

You don't need a car to enjoy an iPod. I think I would have found more use for one a few years ago when I had to walk and skateboard everywhere I went. I'm going to press for one as a graduation gift.

I've mentioned a little USB flash memory thing to a few people. If I know my family, I'll get a couple hundred dollars of Best Buy bucks. Maybe I'll get that iPod a little earlier than I thought.

7. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yeah, I don't want an iPod yet because there is nowhere I really need to take my music. I am going to get one when I get a car because I am sure new models will be out by then.

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm an audiophile so go get the speakers. Nothing like pumping out almost 1000 watts to get the blood moving. :D

9. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

The 400 mhz is just a bit too pokey for me.
    Upgrade card will make life easier in many other ways.

If you anticipate a new computer in the next year. Then, the ipod would be a second.

10. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Out of my experience, I'd go with either the iPod or the speakers. But just wondering, what kind of laptop are you getting? And will it become your primary computer? Anyway, good luck.

Happy Holidays

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Id go for the upgrade, but wouldn't it suck if powerlogix released a G5 upgrade right after christmas.

(see page 2 of the main page).

scem0

12. aphexist macrumors member

I'd be interested to see Klipsch computer speakers putting a set of B&Ws "to shame."

I can't find the Denon speakers in question. Please provide a link.

13. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

The Denons arent computer speakers, rather home audio speakers. Check google for DCM-12