Chrome VS New Safari (Battery Life)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oatman13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2013
    The Woodlands, TX
    Anybody else having battery issues with Chrome? Since the upgrade Chrome is killing battery life and switching my retina into using the discrete graphics processor. However with Safari my battery usage is minimal which is absolutely awesome. It wasn't this way with 10.8.4. So I'm super excited for Safari; little depressed about Chrome.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 8, 2009
    Um, the developer preview was recently released. Give Google some time, I'm sure they'll make refinements. But for now I guess you should continue to use Safari.
  3. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Jul 5, 2012
    No really, Chrome has always been crap in terms of power used.

It just isn't their focus.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Dec 8, 2009
    Really?! I've never had any issues with Chrome. Then again I have ads blocked and disabled multiple plugins.
  5. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Jul 5, 2012

Chrome takes more power than just about any other browser, it always has. It comes from the way that Chrome does different tabs.
  6. macrumors member

Jan 14, 2008
    Can anyone report their observations?
    I'd much rather carry on using Chrome but if it saves batter, I can switch to Safari...
  7. macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2013
    both chrome and firefox use more energy than safari for me on my 2013 MBA. Chrome in particular is a huge hog in this area.
  8. macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not in my experience. In fact, from Safari 5.0 up until Safari 6, Chrome was the "lightest" browser, Firefox being the worst, on OS X. Starting from Safari 6, both Safari and Chrome were nearly equivalent, on Mountain Lion at least. Currently, in Mavericks, Safari is way better in resource management. We'll see if Google can optimize Chrome for Mvks in future updates.
  9. macrumors member

Sep 2, 2010
    Safari 7 on Mavericks seems to implement a similar process based architecture as seen on Chrome that's why the snappiness and the speed boost.
  10. macrumors member

Oct 23, 2011
  11. macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2010
  12. macrumors member

Oct 23, 2011
    Safari is saving a lot of battery for me and I'm only using Chrome now for things I can't do with Safari (i.e., Chromecast, make Google Voice calls from gmail).

I'm possibly seeing as much as 40-50% more battery on Safari, if the Air's time remaining figures are to be believed.

The only two downsides are I've already noticed problems with Windows iCloud 3.0 bookmark sync between Safari and my Chrome Windows browser. I saw duplicates this morning in Safari. Hopefully this will get cleared up as this will be a major annoyance and may lead me to have to rethink the Safari/Chrome combo.

Also, why won't safari let you not enter text for bookmarks? I love having just the favicon in Chrome, no text. On Safari that leaves me with an obnoxious 'NO_TITLE' next to every favicon.
  13. macrumors 68020

Apr 21, 2010
    I usually used Chrome for everyday browsing and Firefox for web development (Firebug is the best DOM/Ajax debugger to me). In Mavericks, on the other hand, Safari looks fast and lightweight... maybe it's the end of Chrome reign.
  14. macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2013
    Firebug is so 2009. It's buggy and slow now. Chrome developer tools outshine them in every area. The new Firefox dev tools are pretty good too!