ChromeHounds Demo on 360 Marketplace

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jun 29, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Let's just say its on my 'never ever to buy list' after playing this abysmal demo of somthing the ps2 spewed up....

It's shocking and not in a good way - but there maybe some of you who are willing to put up with

Dire Graphics - Landscapes so grey and bland they are singaly the worst I've seen in ANY game in a long long while. And there's draw in.....

On a game like oblivion where the landscape is covered in detail fair enough, in a landscape which is vacant in anything remotely resmembling detail it's inexcusable.

Geriatric Gameplay & A pace that would make a snail look like Ben Johnson...

2. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Meh, it's a free demo...I'll download it when I get home.

I'm on the record as saying I was looking forward to it, as the ultimate SEGA fanboi. ;)

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's sega I feel sorry for. I love Condemned & Full Auto... But this :eek: AWFUL

Sega publishing this rubbish reflects badly on them, especially when you see this suddenly appear in the reduced piles & bargain buckets.... At $5 it woud still not represent a bargain, it's that poor..

No wonder America has been spared this abomination of a next gen title...

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Is it from Sega? I thought it fas developped by FromSoftware, the makers of Armored Core. :confused:

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sega publishing it..

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ah ok! So, if the game sucks, I'll have to blame two of my favorite companies. :mad:

I do think that FromSoftware has gotten a little lazy with the later Armored Core. Even though I still like it, it's always more of the same with minor non-consequential improvements. Kinda like an Microsoft Office update.

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Armoured Core looks and plays a whole lot better than this demo. Seriously...

8. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

That's another thing, From makes some of the best games I've ever played. Otogi (another SEGA-published game), for examle, or as everyone else has mentioned Armored Core

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well this actually bothers me about demos. Why are they getting released before the game is out? They shouldn't be.

I've experienced this far too much on PC gaming. Companies are forced/pushed to get a demo out early and it ends up being rushed crap. Even when the actual game is quite good.

Demos should be released after a game is already in retail and the developers should work to make that demo the "super trailer" of the game, really making sure it puts the game in the best light possible. It should be THE game's advertisement. And if it is already in retail you have more potential people buying it, since the great demo would still be fresh in the gamers mind... they can buy the game from the moment they start the demo!

Why don't companies get this? If I had played the second Kameo demo first (rather then the first demo) I probably would have picked the game up, since it is a FAR superior demo and shows the game off much better.

In other words, demos that come out before the game can't really be considered accurate representations. And a demo can suck and the full game actually be very good.

10. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Don't tell me you don't want a demo of Halo 3 multiplayer before it's out...

Personally I love getting demos of things before they come out. In the case of Capcom putting out a demo of Lost Planet, I had no intentions of even playing that game when I saw the pre-e3 trailer, but after downloading the demo I had a blast.

I've also heard because of input from said demo, Capcom has tweaked and improved many aspects of Lost Planet. To me that sounds a whole lot better than waiting for them to make a patch or waiting even longer for a sequel to address some user gripes.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Demos are so important otherwise we'd end up buying games that sucked donkey balls like this.

1-2 weeks before release isn't too soon, it's a life saver.

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I have nothing against demos, I love demos and think it is one of the things that makes the marketplace so great.

I'm also a huge Halo fan and I can say that I really wouldn't want an early multiplayer demo, or early demo of any kind. The reasons are simple, for them to take the time to make the demo means they are taking time away from finishing the game. It also means they will have to take portions of the unfinished game and give me what will essentially be a small beta snipet of the final product. I've beta tested enough to know that it's no good indication of a game in most cases - and that a game can change and improve drastically in the last few months, even last few weeks, of development.

The point here is simply that when you get an early demo it's going to be very hit-or-miss as to whether you are actually getting a good preview of the game, or if you are just getting a small piece of buggy, unfinished, rubbish that may or may not be an accurate example of the final game.

But if developers took the time to create a solid demo after the game has already gone gold then they could focus on making a solid preview of the game that was specifically tailored to demonstration the final game.

I personally found that the FN3 demo played slightly different then the retail version and that took some adjustment. It was still a good demo, though. The first Kameo demo was just a bad preview all around, while the second really gave you an idea for the scale and beauty of the game.

We have no idea at what point the code for the Chromehounds demo was forked so we don't know if it was before certain assets were put in, or speed/gameplay tweeks were added. It may be a perfect example of the game (and the gameplay videos I've seen over the last few months do suggest this) but we don't know that for sure.

In the end, if a demo sucks and was released before the game was finished, the only way to really write the game off is to go rent it and see if the finalized game is different. Sadly due to publishers a lot of games go gold in Beta form anyway... heh.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i wish they would make another red dog game (game on the dreamcast, think guns attached to a remote control quad bike.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Most demos are just a single level of the game so I dont see how it hinder a games development...

Prey DEMO is just that....

15. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Hello again, for us fellow Canadian or americain people who want to try cromehound demo... well i got a secret to get it :) I read somemonth ago how to "bypass" country restriction on Market place stuff :D ... and now i've found something "worth" to try it.

So here it is : Log off your current Xbox 360 account, then simply make a new one for xbox live and use an european country when they ask to choose your country (UK for example) take the silver live account of course...(unless you got TOO much money to spend) And voilà! You should see ChromeHound in the market place! But in the end, the demo still suck! lol... But it might be useful for other release!

BTW is there any japan only demo that are worth doing all this stuff? (i wont waste my time if there's none)

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Downloaded and played last night - and its safe to say it looks very much like work in progress. At least I hope it is. Things like no menu access in the game must be.
    But like MacRumorUser the playability is pretty dire. Very slow mechs and poor landscapes - it like the graphics have never improved since MechWarrior4! Terrible plinky-plonkity music.... and did I really need to stomp on all of the soldiers to finish the level? That would be tedious....

I'll be interested in what the finished article and the reviews say... but unless there is some radical redesign, this is a HUGE missed opportunity.

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I doubt were suddenly going to see a vast improvement.

The Full Auto demo was pretty much identical albeit they made the framerate a tad smoother, but graphically it was the same...

I got a feeling this baby is Mr.Hankys ugly brother and should be flushed where it cant dissapoint any more people... ever......

18. cplusON3R macrumors regular

I havent donwloaded the demo but from the online and offline previews on game sites such as IGN and 1up I can only assume its gonna be one hellova game. the preview movies show pretty detailed landscapes. were you able to customize the mech in the demo? I believe thats one of the major elemets of this game.. that and teamwork. you'll have your slower, more heavily armed mechs then you have the lighter, more agile mechs. one thing I know. the clan Im in cant wait to pick it up. our EU division is up in the fence with how the demo played out but from watching the movies and reading uber-amounts of previews of the online and offline build it sounds like its gonna be one fantastic game.

I just hope for a game with something more along the lines of battletech (not mechwarrior but the enclosed arcade pods). mechwarrior was such a letdown to many battletech fans.. no precision aiming. cant shoot off legs or go for weak points. I loved seeing other clans wobble off with one leg, overheated rifle and having the other arm badly damaged with smoke bellowing out... ahhhh good times...

19. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

In MechWarrior 3 & 4 on the PC I definitely could take a mech down piece by piece - if I was bothered. Arm/Shoulder based weaponary, and then the legs. Usually went for the legs dependant on the model.
    Not sure about 1 & 2, but you definitely could in 3 & 4.

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Run those videos from IGN. The landscapes do not show helluva detail.

We all thought this game was going to be good from the previews, but boy were we decived.... What heap of junk...

21. cplusON3R macrumors regular

I was talking about the dumb-down xbox version. sorry for the confusion;)