Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
OP...Sounds to me like one of your buddies (who knew the phone was on the way) stopped the driver and said "I am J.Doe and you have my phone. Can i grab it real quick cause I am late for my job?" Driver hands it over and adds "CAR" to the name...meaning that he didn't leave it at the front or back door, but at "your" car.

Your buddy then sold the thing on craigslist.

Since it was on launch day, it could've been anyone, not just a buddy. Plenty of people knew that UPS trucks were chock full of iPhones that day.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Is it that hard to READ folks?

The guy made it clear it never got the phone. This then means:

a) He has no personal data on the phone to be stolen or wiped

b) It was not his phone to be stolen, since he never received it. UPS was the last to "own" it. Unless UPS tries to say he received it.

Can not believe people are talking about how he should wipe the phone, or get his data off of it. READ THE POST.

Bro wipe your data so the bad guy doesn't have it!!!
/sarcasm

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Since it was on launch day, it could've been anyone, not just a buddy. Plenty of people knew that UPS trucks were chock full of iPhones that day.

Could have been anyone, but much more likely it was someone he knew.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
manuelant:

I really hate UPS. how can their driver just forge a proof of delivery on the tracking status without having an actual signature on file.

The UPS driver has an electronic signature pad that you have to sign when picking up packages. I signed my first name on there; yet online it showed that phone was signed for by my last name in text. It's not like that they show the exact signature that was recorded on the handheld reader. You could sign off as "Mickey Mouse" on the handheld reader, yet the website will show for it as having been signed by your last name.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
This may come as a shock, but CAR probably meant it was delivered to a Car (I know right!?!?)

I know this because on several occasions I have bumped into my driver on the way out of my neighborhood (sometimes after giving up on waiting, other times just going out). If you are nice, they will let you sign for it there, and on the info it will say CAR. My guy knows me enough to where I didn't even need ID the last few times, and signatures never show up right on those pads anyway.

Maybe the UPS driver saw this guy in a car outside your address, he knew it was launch day, and was able to scam it without providing ID???

That's my thought.

Don't let the buyer have your info. Innocent or not, his beef is with the thief not you.

And move on. It sucks, but you were made whole. No harm done.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Maybe the UPS driver saw this guy in a car outside your address, he knew it was launch day, and was able to scam it without providing ID???

What, would the alleged thief just sit outside someone's house on launch day, with the hope that they ordered an iPhone 5? There's a very small percentage of the entire population that has ordered the phone, so there's a small chance that an alleged thief would be able to intercept an iPhone by parking outside a random person's house..

That is, unless the alleged thief was specifically targeting the OP.

yoargentino

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I got 2 days after launch! STOLEN???? :( :(

After 2 days launch, i got 2 iphones 5 32GB and paid $1600 both! :mad:
Already unlocked for tmobile, is my carriers but i can't activate yet!
Because ask me about zip and social!!
Is any way to activate these?
I dont want to lost my money.
Please somebody help me out. Thank you!

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Go to T-mobile or apple mate ?

Anyway did you found out what the "CAR" in status stands for ?

yoargentino

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Go to T-mobile or apple mate ?

Anyway did you found out what the "CAR" in status stands for ?

You talking to me?? Ok.. The tmobile told me.. go to any store and we try to help to activate for you!! But i dont think can do nothing!!
So. I read everything here, and i realized, maybe this freak guy stolen these!! But i spend $1600 :( I need to find any solution!

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You talking to me?? Ok.. The tmobile told me.. go to any store and we try to help to activate for you!! But i dont think can do nothing!!
So. I read everything here, and i realized, maybe this freak guy stolen these!! But i spend $1600 :( I need to find any solution!

Again, go to T-Mobile. Nobody here is going to help with phones that you think may have been stolen when you bought them. Go to the legitimate carrier store or Apple store and see what happens. Or find the guy you bought them from and get your money back (but that's not likely to happen.)

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
That's sucks. But you got a replacement, and it's just another stolen phone. It's going to happen everyday. Just sucks that day was your day.
Ups doesn't even deliver iPhones in my area. Of they are from the carrier Atleast.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
some of the replies make me laugh due to the complete imbecility of the poster.

it was stolen.

the fact the guy called you- you ever figure its the guy WHO STOLE IT?

trick him into meeting you or just let....it....go.

psblake

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Washington
some of the replies make me laugh due to the complete imbecility of the poster.

it was stolen.

the fact the guy called you- you ever figure its the guy WHO STOLE IT?

trick him into meeting you or just let....it....go.

since the guy cannot use it unless you give him the info offer to buy it back from him for 100 bucks. You got two iphones!

Geturstoryright

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
For those wondering how the guy got his # if the phone was never activated, the shipping label on the box or the shipping paper will show name and phone number of the line that was upgraded!!

2nd: ups will not let anyone sign for iphone or any apple product other then the address it was suppose to be delivered and if it states CAR then that car had to be pulled in your driveway or blocking your drive way so it looks like he lived there and with even that he will ask the name on the package before handing it over. I work at ups and we had loss prevention from apple 2 days before the iphones were to be shipped at the building giving drivers do's and donts. So if u say u were home all day and if a guy parked in ur driveway and signed for it without u knowing, how u know that driver didnt knock ur door and leave it outside??? But again thats not possible since apple products cant be driver released with signature so that means u got the phone and are trying to get one for free.. Cuz as far as ups is concerned they have proof the signature took place at ur residence because of the gps in the board u sign on so its no longer ups's problem. So most likely u sold that phone without unlocking it thats why the guy called back!!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
For those wondering how the guy got his # if the phone was never activated, the shipping label on the box or the shipping paper will show name and phone number of the line that was upgraded!!

2nd: ups will not let anyone sign for iphone or any apple product other then the address it was suppose to be delivered and if it states CAR then that car had to be pulled in your driveway or blocking your drive way so it looks like he lived there and with even that he will ask the name on the package before handing it over. I work at ups and we had loss prevention from apple 2 days before the iphones were to be shipped at the building giving drivers do's and donts. So if u say u were home all day and if a guy parked in ur driveway and signed for it without u knowing, how u know that driver didnt knock ur door and leave it outside??? But again thats not possible since apple products cant be driver released with signature so that means u got the phone and are trying to get one for free.. Cuz as far as ups is concerned they have proof the signature took place at ur residence because of the gps in the board u sign on so its no longer ups's problem. So most likely u sold that phone without unlocking it thats why the guy called back!!
You dont think UPS guy could pull up to your house, knock on door, and if no answer, couldnt just forge your signature and state car? GPS will show signature occurred at house. Of course he could and that seems more likely.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ack!

If someone calls asking for your zip code and social security number tell them to piss up a rope. That would be considered "PII" or "Personally Identifiable Information". They don't need to have that - send them to whomever they bought the phone from. I hate crooks.

Geturstoryright

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
I dont think a person spends several years working his ass off in a warehouse at $10/hr 3hours a day to get to a driving position and finally starts making $33+ /hr to steal an iphone worth $199 and knowing that apple products are kept tracked of while it goes thru the delivery system and scanned cpl times a day as it moves thru buildings and leaving the driver responsible for it once in the truck to even try stealing it. But like u said the driver could sign the name but since you havent herd or gotten your money back that means apparently ups believes the driver because they get 100's of claims exactly like this and its always a husband or wife signed for it and didnt tell the other regrdless dont expect ups to pay you anything cuz they got a signature. And how do they know u didnt sign ur name differently to make it appear forged so u can make a claim. Anyways now ur f. Up my high so just file a claim or rip someone else off and get ur money back

----------

Either way if they dude who started apple with steve jobs can stand in line to buy an iphone then why cant you instead of writing an essay here, go to bed early and wake up early n join the line..(if u decide to do that then hit me up and ill pay for your iphone 6 if you get me one too)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Wow, you solved the case on the first day:D
So in other words what you're saying is that noone at UPS steals packages.

----------

I dont think a person spends several years working his ass off in a warehouse at $10/hr 3hours a day to get to a driving position and finally starts making $33+ /hr to steal an iphone worth $199 and knowing that apple products are kept tracked of while it goes thru the delivery system and scanned cpl times a day as it moves thru buildings and leaving the driver responsible for it once in the truck to even try stealing it. But like u said the driver could sign the name but since you havent herd or gotten your money back that means apparently ups believes the driver because they get 100's of claims exactly like this and its always a husband or wife signed for it and didnt tell the other regrdless dont expect ups to pay you anything cuz they got a signature. And how do they know u didnt sign ur name differently to make it appear forged so u can make a claim. Anyways now ur f. Up my high so just file a claim or rip someone else off and get ur money back

----------

Either way if they dude who started apple with steve jobs can stand in line to buy an iphone then why cant you instead of writing an essay here, go to bed early and wake up early n join the line..(if u decide to do that then hit me up and ill pay for your iphone 6 if you get me one too)

Wow, what terrible logic.
So nobody at UPS steals and we should all never order items through the mail and stand in line at stores right? Then guess what? There will be no packages for you to deliver genius:D.
Check this site and video from one of your coworkers UPS guy stealing a christmass gift from someones door.
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...UPS-Guy-Steals-Fed-Ex-Package-With-Apple-iPad
UPS Guy Steals Fed Ex Package With iPad.
Newsflash to you. People steal in every job, it doesnt matter how what when or any reasons you stated above.
And yes if the customer never got their package the insurance on the package will cover it or they will dispute the charges with their credit card company and still get their money back.
Now you get your story right;)

MasterSe7en

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Id like to share a similar story a just encountered with my 5s that just happened recently.

So recently i purchased my 5s as soon as i could from apple, had it pre-ordered, i got the "gold" or more of a champagne color, anyway so i was all antsy and waiting for it to come the day of delivery, i sat and watched for the ups guy all day, and kept checking the tracking number, and it just said out for delivery, so i assumed that ups would be extremely busy so i figured id get it tomorrow, the next day...same thing, so the morning of the third day, i noticed that it said delivered, i started to panic a bit, since i just dropped all that money on it, i called UPS and freaked out, all they told me was theyll check on it and call me back, i never received any calls and i called them multiple times.

The same day i contacted apple and they overnighted me another one and this time i asked them if they can either not put a return postage on it or mask the senders name, and they sent it in a regular cardboard box with a ups sticker on it that said on the senders part "Sender Hidden upon Reciepients request" and i received it.

Well a couple days later i was also curious so called apple and asked them what the deal was, they told me to call the police and reference a case number they gave me. My cousin is a police officer with the local force so i asked him if he could look into it, we used findmyiphone and hey whaddya know?! we found it! someone had activated it, so he went to address alone first and spoke with a young man, he described the kid as a "Good Kid" he said that he had told the kid hes going to get back to the original owner (Me) and see what they want to do, until then he can hold on to the iphone since he hasnt talked to me, but he warned the kid that if that phone suddenly disappears hes going to have issues (we both knew he couldnt do anything because nothing had been proven yet, but the kid bought it) so he called me and told me, and he asked me if i wanted to pursue it, so before calling apple, i asked my cousin if it was a good idea if i could go there and speak with the kid with him, he said yes, but wed have to do it after his duty hours (yes we know its illeagal) and if anything serious were to break out i was prepared to just leave the kid with the phone and say nothing else.

So we went over to there knocked on the door, the kid was about 22 years old, and i asked him where he got the phone, he seemed a bit nervous when we were there, but my cousin told me he had never committed a crime or got in trouble, so i felt as if he was just a little scared.

I told him that i should probably call apple and tell them and theyre going to take the phone back, he got pretty upset and started crying, he said in his words "Please sir, ive been saving up for over a month to buy this, i couldnt afford a brand new one and i found this ad on craigslist, the phone was brand new in the box still, i didnt know it was stolen, please dont take it from me please!" he was genuinly scared, i told him to calm down, and its ok well figure it out, he then calmed down a bit, and i asked him if he could show me the ad. Now this is where i was certain this young man didnt take my phone, he immidiately went to his PC and pulled it up, the picture was my exact phone, and the way we identified it was the box had a small scrape on it, and it was visible in the picture, also, the kid was a white kid, and the person holding the phone was black, you could also see some of the background of the place the pic was taken and it didnt match his home at all.

I Felt really horrible about the whole thing i went to this kids house assuming that he stole my property and in more or less words if it was him (i wanted to see the look on his face when i took it back). he was extremely consistant with the story, no hesitations, he was either an extremely good liar or he was being honest, the kid lived on his own, his home was very clean, but it was in a **** neighborhood, but i could see this kid was a hard worker and honest.

I then did something you guys are probably gonna be like :eek: about.

I did the right thing, i called apple, and told them to stop the investigation and that i found the phone, and that I would be happy to pay for the second one.

Maybe it was the right thing to do, maybe it was the wrong thing to do, but to me, the money that kid had to spend on that phone was so hard for him to make, and he got what he wanted because he worked hard, to me on the other hand, that money wasnt much, and i have better means of making more of it than that kid did.

Anyway i thought id share this, 3 days ago was when i met with the kid, i dont regret letting it go, but now im pretty certain it was the driver that took it, i mean...**** the phone didnt even hit the ground yet and it was already stolen, so there is no way it was left outside of my house thats for sure, plus i had to sign for it, so unless someone knew it was going to be delivered to my house on that day and time and then bet on me not being home, in which i was home, then there is no way anyone else took it.

oh well, i wont be using UPS again.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Id like to share a similar story a just encountered with my 5s that just happened recently.

So recently i purchased my 5s as soon as i could from apple, had it pre-ordered, i got the "gold" or more of a champagne color, anyway so i was all antsy and waiting for it to come the day of delivery, i sat and watched for the ups guy all day, and kept checking the tracking number, and it just said out for delivery, so i assumed that ups would be extremely busy so i figured id get it tomorrow, the next day...same thing, so the morning of the third day, i noticed that it said delivered, i started to panic a bit, since i just dropped all that money on it, i called UPS and freaked out, all they told me was theyll check on it and call me back, i never received any calls and i called them multiple times.

The same day i contacted apple and they overnighted me another one and this time i asked them if they can either not put a return postage on it or mask the senders name, and they sent it in a regular cardboard box with a ups sticker on it that said on the senders part "Sender Hidden upon Reciepients request" and i received it.

Well a couple days later i was also curious so called apple and asked them what the deal was, they told me to call the police and reference a case number they gave me. My cousin is a police officer with the local force so i asked him if he could look into it, we used findmyiphone and hey whaddya know?! we found it! someone had activated it, so he went to address alone first and spoke with a young man, he described the kid as a "Good Kid" he said that he had told the kid hes going to get back to the original owner (Me) and see what they want to do, until then he can hold on to the iphone since he hasnt talked to me, but he warned the kid that if that phone suddenly disappears hes going to have issues (we both knew he couldnt do anything because nothing had been proven yet, but the kid bought it) so he called me and told me, and he asked me if i wanted to pursue it, so before calling apple, i asked my cousin if it was a good idea if i could go there and speak with the kid with him, he said yes, but wed have to do it after his duty hours (yes we know its illeagal) and if anything serious were to break out i was prepared to just leave the kid with the phone and say nothing else.

So we went over to there knocked on the door, the kid was about 22 years old, and i asked him where he got the phone, he seemed a bit nervous when we were there, but my cousin told me he had never committed a crime or got in trouble, so i felt as if he was just a little scared.

I told him that i should probably call apple and tell them and theyre going to take the phone back, he got pretty upset and started crying, he said in his words "Please sir, ive been saving up for over a month to buy this, i couldnt afford a brand new one and i found this ad on craigslist, the phone was brand new in the box still, i didnt know it was stolen, please dont take it from me please!" he was genuinly scared, i told him to calm down, and its ok well figure it out, he then calmed down a bit, and i asked him if he could show me the ad. Now this is where i was certain this young man didnt take my phone, he immidiately went to his PC and pulled it up, the picture was my exact phone, and the way we identified it was the box had a small scrape on it, and it was visible in the picture, also, the kid was a white kid, and the person holding the phone was black, you could also see some of the background of the place the pic was taken and it didnt match his home at all.

I Felt really horrible about the whole thing i went to this kids house assuming that he stole my property and in more or less words if it was him (i wanted to see the look on his face when i took it back). he was extremely consistant with the story, no hesitations, he was either an extremely good liar or he was being honest, the kid lived on his own, his home was very clean, but it was in a **** neighborhood, but i could see this kid was a hard worker and honest.

I then did something you guys are probably gonna be like :eek: about.

I did the right thing, i called apple, and told them to stop the investigation and that i found the phone, and that I would be happy to pay for the second one.

Maybe it was the right thing to do, maybe it was the wrong thing to do, but to me, the money that kid had to spend on that phone was so hard for him to make, and he got what he wanted because he worked hard, to me on the other hand, that money wasnt much, and i have better means of making more of it than that kid did.

Anyway i thought id share this, 3 days ago was when i met with the kid, i dont regret letting it go, but now im pretty certain it was the driver that took it, i mean...**** the phone didnt even hit the ground yet and it was already stolen, so there is no way it was left outside of my house thats for sure, plus i had to sign for it, so unless someone knew it was going to be delivered to my house on that day and time and then bet on me not being home, in which i was home, then there is no way anyone else took it.

Lovely story but how did you use 'find my iPhone' without ever seeing it?:confused:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Well a couple days later i was also curious so called apple and asked them what the deal was, they told me to call the police and reference a case number they gave me.

Why would Apple give you a case number, when it's UPS that needs to do the investigation and likely would have called the police?

My cousin is a police officer with the local force so i asked him if he could look into it, we used findmyiphone and hey whaddya know?! we found it!

How did you use Find My iPhone on an unactivated device?

someone had activated it,

How did you know the iCloud username and password that the phone was attached to? You never touched the phone at this point, so it couldn't have been your account.

Now this is where i was certain this young man didnt take my phone, he immidiately went to his PC and pulled it up, the picture was my exact phone, and the way we identified it was the box had a small scrape on it,

How did you know the box had a small scrape on it, when you've never seen it before? How did you know the phone was "your exact phone," when it's no different from the millions of other Gold iPhone 5s units that look just like it?

That's not really your choice. Apple will use whatever shipper gives them the best deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.