Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Nov 23, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well, the trailer for the Lion the Witch and Wardrobe played before Harry Potter when I saw it the other night...and well, all I can say is WOW...

I never read the books when I was younger (not sure why...I read everything else... :p), but I'm off to go pick the first one up from the library, because I hate to read books after having seen the film...anyone else looking forward to the movie?

Here's the teaser trailer (small size doesn't do it justice): linky

by the way...I thought it was strange that I got shivers down my spine when I saw the trailer...but a little visit to the IMDb forums proved that I'm just as normal as all the other internet weirdos: linky pt. 2. :D

2. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

pick up the book with all 7 books in it... it's a great read -- I read "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe" (which is in theory, book 2) when I was young, didn't really get into the rest of the series... Picked up the paperback with all 7 books in it, and had quite a good read (over about a week of time.) Can't wait until the movie! :D

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The numbering system for those books got so screwed up somewhere along the way. My Grandma used to be a librarian, and also taught college, children's literature class. She says 'The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe' is book one, but now all of the books being printed say it's 2. :confused:

Anyways, I read 'The Magician's Nephew' & 'The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.' Those were great, but the I started read 'The Horse and his Boy' and just lost interest.
    Oh Well.

4. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

The Horse and his Boy picks up toward the end. I am on 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' and it's pretty good. Looking forward to the last two. :)

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What order did you read them it?

6. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Yes, technically the creation story of Narnia (The Magician's Nephew) was written after TLTW&TW, but he wanted it read as the first book. The Horse & His Boy was supposed to be concurrent in the timeline (near the end) of TLTW&TW,
    then Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair & The Last Battle.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Wikipedia knows why... ;)

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've read 5 of the 7 over the past year and they I think they are great. C.S. Lewis is one of favorite writers. I can't wait for the movie and hopefully 6 more if they can keep up the interest and the quality of the movies!

9. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

He's also a critically acclaimed writer. I think that a lot of people would disagree with you in that he writes well. He definitely has strong religious convictions that he writes of, but that doesn't implicitly mean that he is 'trash.'

I've read all seven but it's been awhile-- re-read the first three about a month ago and have yet to re-read the rest.

11. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

OMG..the chornicles of narnia are the ONLY books I read as a child!! Loved them..I might have to take my niece to see this movie when it comes!! :)

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My almost 12 yr old daughter can't wait for the movie to come out. She read the book a few years ago, but I'm reading it now. I never had the chance when I was younger.

13. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I need to reread them. Even though it's only been 3 years since I read them the first time. Good books!

14. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

15. ichabod macrumors newbie

I am happy to hear, that a lot of people are excited about this production. It is definetely a movie worth seeing, I was lucky enough to work as a PA on shoots in Eastern Europe, where most of the winter scenery was shot.

One unforgettable visual experience :) , my favourites are scenes on the frozen lake. hope you everybody will enjoy it.

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Or one of the greatest writers of the 20th century. Speaking of which, he and Tolkien knew each other when they taught at Oxford. I wonder how much of the decision to make this movie was made because of the success of LotR. At any rate, I'll be at the theatre this Friday night for the first time this year. Nothing else has come out that I thought was worth seeing on opening night.

17. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I remember reading some of this book in like 4th grade but I got bored of it... maybe I'll give it a second chance (but first I gotta finish Harry Potter 6.... still haven't found the time or urge to finish it yet)

This movie looks really good though

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

It's rather childish and closed-minded to assume that something to do with religion must be trash. I am assuming that you have not read any of these books, because they are very well written and the story is quite engaging. As was already mentioned, he taught at Oxford University and was a close friend of Tolkien's. I heard somewhere that he is one of the most often quoted writers of our time.
    I fell in love with these books as a child and read them many, many times. Recently I downloaded the audio book versions from Audible and listen to them on my iPod on my way to and from work. It really takes me back, experiencing those books again. I can't wait for the first movie to come out...

19. jasylonian macrumors regular

20. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    True, but so was Tolkein and a bunch of other good writers. Frankly, I'd rather read the Narnia series any day than, say, the Bible.

Besides, they're really excellent stories whether or not they are taken in the context of Christianity. Growing up I really didn't even know they were allegories of the Bible until almost college, and looking back on them now, the connections are pretty obvious. But, I'll always have a soft spot for the Narnia books, they were what launched me as a serious fantasy/sci-fi reader, and I'd never be enjoying such delicacies as Kushiel's Dart, the Song of Ice and Fire series, and Perdido Street Station were it not for Narnia introducing me to the genre.

Yeah - it's true that the religious right is in a frenzy about the movie. Though I'd rather they concern themselves with Narnia than gay bashing.

I'm actually pretty excited for the film - going out on a double date to see it tonight (opening night). And, the SF Chronicle, which I trust more than other places for movie reviews, gave it their highest rating. Should be fun...

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

So if someone has a religion, then they are a 'tard. Good one :rolleyes:

I'm seeing it Sunday morning, so keep quiet with the spoilers until then :D

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Most every story is Good Vs. Evil....im loving this one being that i am very much into my religion and its a good story....read it alot when i was younger

Bless

23. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I've read all the book, a couple of years ago when I was small. ;)

The trailer looks pretty good.. Fight scenes a la LOTR.

24. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

So spill man!
    What was it like working on the production?

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I saw them building the set in a green field in New Zealand......

Sorry, too tired to explain the whole story, but I was shocked as I didn't know they were filming that movie.