Chronos Chromos Concrete (Visual Display Concrete)

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jan 5, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Cool concept, although I'd expect the image sharpness to be terrible (no sharp edges, since the heat would diffuse). Also, latency would be terrible - possibly on the order of minutes or longer.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

so in theory, one could embed a whole matrix or heat nodules and then use the wall to display monochrome images (advertising) that could change like an LCD monitor with a very very bad refresh rate. That would be one step on from the digital clock they show. presumably seconds are out of the question because of the less than instantaneous heating and cooling times.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd also think that they images would diffuse as they heated up - eventually blurring into something unrecognizable, although I suppose you could add temperature sensors as well and only turn on the heating elements when necessary.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I saw recently, in a tech magazine, a type of concrete that had been created not just for display purposes like this, but to allow light to pass through, so that houses could be much brighter, without adding lots of windows, but who would want to have concrete walls? :rolleyes:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Quite true - imagine the display looking like the Duracell battery charge indicators; it's the same technology. Since these inks aren't binary, and instead change color (or specifically, go clear) over a certain range of temperatures, it would be difficult to control specific regions very closely.

Of course, at this scale, a little blurriness on the edges may not matter.

I just wonder what the benefit is over simply mounting a large display on the wall vs. being part of the wall. Otherwise, if cost weren't an issue, you could build a concrete display where you have closely controlled "cells" where the concrete would be heated, and in between cells would be an "insulator" which would not be heated. You'd end up, I'd think, with a concrete display that looks a lot like a monochrome LCD display.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You know where this is all going to end up, don't you?

The Virgin Mary is miraculously going to start appearing on concrete church walls.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I wonder if one would be able to sell said walls on ebay for large quantities of money - see virgin mary in toast. :D

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

heheheheheheheheheheh :p