Chrysler's Roadmap

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Aug 18, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Heres what Chrysler/dodge will be going in the future:
    Autoweek

Dodge Caliber: Sorta looks like a truck, but will probably attract a lot of buyers

Dodge Charger Police Car: Shoot me! That thing is incredibly ugly

Chrysler 300 Convertable: 4 Door convertable? If you think someone looks stupid in a seebring, they'll look even dumber in that vehicle

Chrysler Crossfire: Looks better than the old one.

Doge Viper: I would never buy one.

Dodge Nitro: Looks like a H3 + New Pathfinder + LR3 + dodge

New Jeep Wrangler: I can't believe they're going to redesign that. I know they're uncomfortable- but thats the point of a Jeep like that. :(

Jeep Commander: Looks like the old cherokees (non grand), I don't likeit

Jeep Gladiator: It looks like a little toy truck or something, I don't like the tire on the side

I think chrysler is ruining Jeep. Ever since they came out with Liberty and got rid of the Cherokee.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its Chrysler, what else would you expect, i think they are one of the worst companies when it comes to design and quality, i would never buy from them, or even consider them. they are starting to sink imo

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

You know, I could really do without hearing "Roadmap" ever again. Really. It's like how many @#$%ing thousands of times I've heard the phrase "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt" or "FUD" since the SCO lawsuit against IBM... Never again should these words be uttered. The available slots have been filled.

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I agree. If you look at their current lineup do you think anything looks at all attractive. I'm starting to see more Honda and Toyota minvans on the road these days too.

5. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

As a driver of a Chrysler 300M, there are some Chrysler vehicles that I do like. My mom has a 300C, and while that car is enormous, it certainly has get-up-n-go! :D I also think the Crossfire looks like a fun little roadster.

Looking at minivan design, I think the current Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/Saturn minivan is much worse than the older Dodge/Chrysler minivan. Something about the nose of the van being so long and boxy just looks ugly to me.

With that said, I think that some of the designs pictured on that site are pretty ugly. I agree that the Commander is ugly...the picture looks like it could have been taken from a 1980s magazine ad. And the wheel certainly does look silly on the side of the Jeep truck thingy.

I'm also glad to see they are scrapping the Neon. I always felt that those cars were awful (I think the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety called them a "disaster" this year). I hope that Chrysler does more to improve fuel economy. I think the Hemi engines that switch to 4 cylinders when cruising is a good start, but with all of the big cars in the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep lineups, better fuel economy is a MUST.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm a big Chrysler fan (as you might have guessed from my username :)). While I do agree that Jeep has gone down in recent years, I love all the other Chryslers out right now. They are bold and distinctive, with the power to backup the looks. That's more than you can say about the Japanese. While they make excellent cars (we have a new Camry in our family), they are "safe" cars. They offend no one. They just blend in with the sea of other cars on the road. I appreciate styling that stands out and is unique, without being flashy.

For my money, I'd much rather have a standout rear-drive V8 than a vanilla front drive V6.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I LOVE Chryslers. They're the most brave designs in an otherwise dull American car market. I've owned two myself, and they were the best cars I've ever owned. More trouble-free than Hondas I've had.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dodge Charger Police Car, ugly. More likely it's ugly news for Ford. The lack of this car was helping them beat the gas tank litigation lawsuits, because Ford refuses to sell to those that sue them. Now there is a fleet alternative and a means to sue Ford and put cruisers on the road.

Unless Ford develops a police package for the Mustang, or drops a Mustang motor and a HO version in a Crown Vic -- for the first time in years they face some massive pain.

Until now, there wasn't an alternative -- now there is a RWD V8 alternative with decent fuel economy.

Back to DCX...

Should be interesting if the engineering help from Mercedes finally scores some points, it hasn't yet.

In fact some of the Mercedes engineering that went into the Chrysler products did more damage to Mercedes reputation, than improve Chrysler quality. :eek:

Otherwise dropping the Extended Powertrain warranty will be biting Chrysler in the ass when the bumper to bumper ends, and we may see Chrysler in the same hole they were in before they brought back the Extended Powertrain warranty.

You know it's bad when they are still firing executives for the quality control issues, not to mention the money they were getting under the table.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

From a person who doesn't know the first thing about cars:

I think the crossfire looks nice. I prefer luxery cars to sport cars, but I could ride in that :).

scem0

10. iGav macrumors G3

I actually kind of like the new Charger in a perverse kind of way, although I recall that one of the Charger concepts was better still. ;)

But the rest of the range is utter toss. That Firepower especially :eek: looks like a bad amalgamation of a Ferrari 612, Shelby GR-1, Aston Martin DB-9/Vantage and the Jag ALC concept.

So yeah, there's 3 American cars now that I'd actually consider owning :eek: which is 3 more than this time a couple of years ago. :p

11. mpw Guest

I agree the charger is quite a good looking car, in a brutal kind of way. I also like some of the other Dodge styling, but wouldn't buy the cars as quality in the ones I've experienced is shocking.
    The JEEP Commander as someone said is a bit retro 80's.
    I like the look of the Dodge RAM MegaCab but having seen one driven localy imported from the US it's not until you see them on local roads you realize a)how f**king enourmous they are and b) The American movie obsession with sex in cars, I'm 6'2 and back when I was dating I couldn't figure out how it could look so easy in the movie when I'd damn near kill myself trying to get my leg over in my FIAT :eek:

So iGav which are the other two? Mustang and ?

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think the Gladiator (the one w/the tire on the side) looks cool in an ugly sort of way (kinda like an A-10). It looks likes a WWII era US Army vehicle.

Lethal

13. iGav macrumors G3

Ford GT ;)

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Saw a GT on the road the other day. Low slung and sexy. l can't believe it's from the same company that made the Taurus. Man, that thing is W-I-D-E! Looks like it would eat some pavement...and gas.

15. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I actually kinda like the jeep pickup with the tire on the side...it's a throwback to older jeep pickups from years ago with the spare tire on the side.

but anyway, they are pushing powerful engines really hard right now, and it sounds like that's their plan for the next few years as well. the way the oil/gas prices are going (which I personally believe will get much much worse), they should really be looking at fuel economy more and hybrid options, etc... I know that's what I'll be looking at when I get a new car (1-2 years from now).

16. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Are you mental? That is one of the hottest looking 'non sports car' convertibles I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

17. mpw Guest

It's OK but I'd rather an Audi A4/S4 :) /RS4 :D

EDIT: Actually I just noticed (Dumbass :eek: ) that it's a four door as well as four seater. I like that, there aren't any four door convertibles available in europe.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd rather have a convertible Yugo. ;)

19. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I like the old Cherokees, and the commander doesn't really look like them. I think it looks similar to a Land Rover...except bad.

20. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Well, who wouldn't? ;)

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I generally don't like Chrysler products, but...

I like the Charger. It is an honest rear-driver with an optional butt-kicking V8. And I like the police interceptor version - WAY better specs than the lame (front drive V6) Impala police car, and more agressive looking than the venerable Crown Vic. The Vic is built like a tank though, It remains to be seen if the Charger can handle police duties.

Jeep has totally lost it's way, It has failed to compete well in the soft-roader market and while the Wranger is in rare company off-road, its million year old design keeps a lot of buyers away. The Liberty is crap. The Commander is crap. When will the Hummer/Brinks truck-look-alike competition end?

One big problem with the vaunted Hemi - fuel efficiency is very bad.

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I have a Chrysler Sebring. As crappy as the car is, it has been pretty reliable. The engine is POS. It has no pick up. I think my Chevy Suburban has more pick up then the sebring! :eek: I think GM is setting themselves up for a come back out of the others in the Big 3. I am a GM fan. The 2006 Chevy HHR is awesome. The new GMT-900's are going to be sweet( Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL/ Escalade, Avalanche, and Silverado/Sierra). The Trailblazer SS has the LS2 engine at $33,000 base is sweet and priced well. The Hummer H3 should sell well. The Colorado/Canyon is doing well. Just behind the Tacoma in sales. The F-150 and the Silverado are leading full size trucks with the Titan being in last place. So anyway, Chrysler is screwing up Jeep espeically with Hummer on their a$$. Dodge is ok. The Charger is the only good car I like. The Dakota and Durango is ugly, IMO. The Ram is ok. The Viper will gets its butt kicked by the Corvette Z06 which is about $20,000 cheaper then Viper. The Jeep Commander is just a Cherokee with some changed looks to it.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I saw one of those Chevy HHRs on the road and wanted to puke. Its ugly! If I wanted to drive an ugly box on wheels, I'd buy a Scion xB, at least it won't break down while its being ugly.

24. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

To me it looks like Chysler was trying to copy a rolls royce. All they need to do is put suicide doors on it.

Why would you want a 4 door convertable? That makes it an enormous and not fun at all to drive except for the the roof folds down.

Many of the people I know that own a chrysler/dodge/jeep have A/C problems and transmission problems.

25. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

my old dodge had a lot of transmission problems. and radiator problems. come to think of it, anything that possibly could have leaked, did.