CIA Chief Says Wiretap Disclosure Damaging

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

story

I'm gonna flip this on its head.

Goss, Negroponte et al are incredibly upset that their illegal spying operation was leaked, thus degrading the quality of intelligence they're collecting.

I think it was highly irresponsible of them to put our intelligence gathering capabilities at risk by not applying for FISA warrants. Had they simply followed the law as written, the story never would have blown up their faces, since there would have been no scandal over the legality of the program.

George Bush should be ashamed that he put the nation at risk and undermined our efforts to collect legally viable intelligence, that may now be unusable in court because of his rampant corner-cutting.

We should all contact our representatives and demand that Bush and the Republicans take the safety of our nation seriously, that they stop endangering our intelligence operations by performing acts so illegal that members of their own team feel the need to speak out in public about these programs.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And, furthermore, that they stop endangering world peace by continuing in office. As an act of goodwill and as part of a plea bargain, they should all resign immediately.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No one has said how this is damaging to anyone other than Bush himself and his cronies. How does it hurt the program itself? The terrorists must already know we attempt to spy on them. Duh. The only new info was that it was being done without a warrant. I'm amazed that people still are getting away with this stuff.

How do people defend this?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sorry... since when is it damaging to al Qaeda to know that the US government might just possibly be listening to their phone and email conversations?

That's the big damaging secret? You gotta be kidding me! You'd have to be stupid not to get that without any news story. IIRC, both the US and Israeli military have used cell or satellite phone tracing to track and kill people. There are chapters in al Qaeda training manuals that describe techniques to minimize your exposure to that kind of surveillance.

Hell, I ran across a story about a week ago about a detainee from Gitmo who'd been released despite having been bin Laden's bodyguard supposedly. He claims to have taken bin Laden's satellite phone in Tora Bora and headed to the Pakistani border making calls with it to divert American intel folks while bin Laden and crew went the other way and made their escape. Is it true? Maybe, maybe not... but it shows that people well outside the US government were aware that the US monitored their communications.

Now knowing that the firm Brewster-Jennings is a front for CIA operations that involve counter-proliferation work -- that's damaging to national security.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can imagine the terrorist conversation now:

"Mr. Marwan, we have the plutonium and the bomb is... wait...is this a secure line?"

"No, but don't worry. I may be in Afghanistan but you're a US citizen in Cedar City. Tapping into your phone line without a secret warrant would be a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution and we know they wouldn't dare violate that. Please, continue."

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic