CIA closes down unit that was hunting Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 3, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

raw story

if this is indeed a step forward, why hasn't the WH trumpeted it?

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

lol. That kinda dovetails with this (nytimes) story claiming Al-Qaeda sold out Zarqawi for assurances that the search for bin Laden would be scaled back.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

wow. that's a bit of a bombshell.

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

You have got to be kidding me. Wow.

I officially have no faith in government whatsoever.

What's next?

"Osama Bin Laden given presidential pardon"

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Or maybe this means that we already caught Bin Laden...;)

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Wouldn't surprise me. Bush waiting until '08 to announce it so he can usher in his heir.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They couldn't wait that long, but people are already expecting something like this for '06. Sounds kinda paranoid, but given the current climate, I wouldn't doubt it. Would explain a lot, but you'd think it'd be a little suspicious. The fact that Zarqawi's death didn't exactly help things should tell them something too, but after all this, people are getting antsy.

Hopefully this gets play, if nothing else than to highlight the lack of focus on what should have been our main objective all along.

8. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i would like to think that at this stage if they captured/killed bin laden they would receive a "took you long enough" response from the electorate

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Bin Laden has been Bush's trillion dollar man.

IF he is still alive, he will never be allowed to go before any court to testify
    what he knows.

Bush will go down in history as the great deceiver.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Mission Accomplished. :rolleyes:

Can we vote for a new president yet?

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(My bold.)

rag sheet

Hmmm, let's see...it's currently 2006....

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well its fact that Bush's family had strong ties with the Bin Laden family in all their oil dealings through the years. So the man that did 911 is ignored but they did get Saddam. George sold us on Saddam = Bin Laden hence us in Iraq, hence Bin Laden still free. I have no faith in this president on anything, everything he says is suspect because of all the lies, spin and storys they have sold us. They have shown over & over they just cant be trusted.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

link

I always love the "Clinton didn't do anything" defense. At the end of his term he was having daily meetings with the heads of the intelligence offices or Attorney General about stopping al-Qaida. Bush eliminated these meetings in an effort to stop "swatting flies" and supposedly develop a strategy to eliminate al-Qaida. While not a bad goal, why on earth do you eliminate the programs that are keeping the agencies on their toes and quite probably stopping attacks? Do we discontinue all illegal drug enforcement when Congress starts debating tougher drug laws?

Yes, Clinton probably should have gone into Afghanistan after the U.S.S. Cole, but does anyone really believe that the GOP led Congress would have given him authorization?

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I think Clinton's administration still regarded Bin Laden and Al Qaeda as
    a small group of extreme radicals that needed to be dealt with as international criminals.

Terrorism is in reality, a military tactic or strategy.

The Bush administration has succeeded to gain War Powers to launch a War On Terrorism while in reality it is our foreign policy towards
    Israel and the exploitation of natural resources in the middle east that fanned the flames of terrorism to begin with.

Now with the political backing of the Extreme Right Wing Evangelical Rapture
    Republicans, this has become a Holy War.

Like it or not, we have entered a Christian backed War on Islam.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That's ******** and you know it.
    Fact? Link me.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go look it up yourself, before Jr was a governor he was bailed out or helped by that family with his failing oil dealings.

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I couldn't find it. So either you can find it for me, or we can all just assume you are lying.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All you have to do is look at his connection to the Carlyle group or Bush Money,Bush watch.

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Do you not speak English? I want a link.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

is the economist a good-enough reference?

22. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That was more of a book review, but I'll accept.

Anyways, I see no real connection here. Bushies employed the Carlyle group who manage some of the bin Laden's family wealth who have an estranged sibling who no one in the family wants to touch. Doesn't seem like much of a conspiracy theory there...

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

24. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ghw bush doesn't employ the carlyle group, he's an integral part of it, along with james baker, john majors, and others. the bin laden family also used to be a part, but from what i understand, due to the politics of the day, they've quietly backed out.

i present this as well-known information about bush and bin laden family ties, without claiming any sort of conspiracy. if you're looking to cast doubt on those ties in order to debunk the conspiracy, you best try a different tactic.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So the administration is playing off this guy? He should be on the top of the CIA list until he is caught. The president said he would get him, he lied to us the people once again. He promised getting Bin Laden what happened?