CIA flights 'landed in Germany'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The Terrorist, Religious Fanatic, gun slinging yank and Retard, GW Bush:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4496322.stm

The German government has a list of at least 437 flights suspected of being operated by the CIA in German airspace, according to a German magazine.
    The weekly Der Spiegel said two planes alone accounted for 137 and 146 uses of airspace or landings in 2002 and 2003.

"Such planes could be used to transfer presumed terrorists and place them in secret locations," Der Spiegel said.

The issue is likely to be raised when US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice visits Germany on Monday.

Ms Rice said earlier this week she would provide an answer to a EU letter expressing concern over reports last month alleging that the US intelligence agency was using secret jails - particularly in eastern Europe.

A US rights group, the American Civil Liberties Union, said it was taking the CIA to court over what it said was the violation of both US and international law.

The highly secretive process is known as "extraordinary rendition" whereby intelligence agencies move and interrogate terrorism suspects outside the US, where they have no American legal protection.

Some individuals have claimed they were flown by the CIA to countries like Syria and Egypt, where they were tortured.

'Unfortunate timing'

The list of suspected CIA flights was handed over by German air traffic controllers at the request of the Left Party, Der Spiegel said in its latest edition to be published on Monday.

It said the aircraft had made landings in Berlin, Frankfurt and the US airbase at Ramstein.

However, the list has not shed any light on what the planes were carrying, the BBC's Tristana Moore in Berlin reports.

A German government spokesman said the list allowed only to know "how many times which planes of which companies flew in German airspace or landed at German airports".

The timing of the report is unfortunate for Ms Rice, as the issue is likely to be raised directly during her talks with new German Chancellor Angela Merkel next week, our correspondent says.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier had already expressed concerns about the reports of CIA flights during his meeting with US officials in Washington last week.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Merkel's going to have a tough time with this one. She promised that her policy towards the US wouldn't be tainted by the past but I think German public opinion is such that she won't be able to let it slip away.

I really don't see how Rice is going to be able to claim the upper moral hand on this one since Germany so strongly opposed the war. She's proving herself to be nothing but a lying scumbag and any hopes she has for a spot on the Republican ticket in 08 are disappearing quickly.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yet another thing that makes me proud to be an 'Merican! :rolleyes:

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Every week I hear "Oh Canada" ringing in my ears. I must start following before my hearing goes away for good.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and in a related story...

(emphasis mine)

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Is a little competence too much to ask for? Four years after 9/11 and the CIA still looks like the keystone cops.

FYI, I read somewhere (Economist?) that the EU said that any member country that knowingly allowed secret prisoners could have their member rights suspended - i.e. you're out of the EU. Somewhat unrealistic, but basically we've managed to piss off our allies again.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is what should scare everyone, A Govt squashing out Freedom & Liberty and Justice in the name of Freedom,Liberty & Justice. We have more to fear from Bush and Gang then we ever had to fear from Saddam.
    They are the ones destroying Freedom ,Liberty and Justice in this country.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It probably won't happen as all members have to agree to suspend the voting rights of another.

Today's news seems to indicate that EU countries don't want to make a big fuss about it due to complicity complications. It's hard to believe that CIA flights go totally unnoticed by other countries' security services, this "lack of notice" is likely indicative of a see no evil mentality. Somebody's got to stick up to the Americans and it sure isn't going to be the Poodle or the right wing twins of Poland or Merkel who is trying to reconcile with the US or Baldie in Italy. Chirac is out of the game so that leaves who exactly?

Liar Rice is probably going to get away with it once again.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

not only in germany it is leading to lots of political turbulences/uproars

there has been an overflight from uch a CIA plane over austria as well and now it's been discussed in the austrian parliament as well (since government ist taking complaints really serious)

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Just what I was thinking. Apparently the price of freedom is... freedom. Scary.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4499648.stm

Emphasis mine. WTF? Under which "international law"? "Going on for decades"??? These people really do think that laws apply to others, not to them, don't they? Of course we're not going to hear of a single example of "lives being saved", are we? These gangsters are a disgrace to their country, and their accomplices are a disgrace to ours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4487856.stm

Emphasis mine, again. We are being taken for fools. Our politicians are treating their electorate with utter contempt. How can they possibly "not know" about flights which they themselves presumably agreed to? This is a disgrace to the whole body politic in both countries. The thin veil of moral rectitude is slipping rapidly away. Is this crap what our countries' soldiers died for in WW2? Damn, I'm angry!