CIA review faults prewar plans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 13, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. toontra macrumors 6502

One wonders why it's taken them 2.5 years to publish a report which states the bleedin' obvious and does little but repeat what we all know and have known all along.

Now if this had been published before March 2003 it might just have made a jot of difference - maybe just!

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just wish arrogant Jr would have listen to Sr, :mad:

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Wait, the CIA showed their incompetence by being wrong about the WMDs, but now they're calling the Bush administration incompetent for not listening to them on the post-war situation. Was Bush right not to listen to incompetent people? Or does this make him even more incompetent? Somebody get me an advil or at least a new president. Thank you.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

from what i've read about intelligence, i think it's a lot more grey. i fully suspect there was massive difference of opinion w/in the CIA regarding the weapons. further, i fully suspect (based on writings from seymour hersh et. al.) that the WH listened to only what they wanted.

whether the CIA analysis regarding the aftermath was as divisive as that of the weapons, i don't know. but knowing this WH, i'm blaming them a lot more than i'm blaming the CIA.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Question is, how do we improve on being right about which scenarios we have right.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

From the Downing Street Memo we learn it is more like "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy." There was a very active policy of twisting and distorting intelligence to suit the goal of justifying an invasion. Did the CIA not do it job well? No doubt. They, Tenet in particular, should have stood up to Bush and Cheney and said the agency wouldn't be used in the way it was. However, it was the administration that flat out lied to the American people and Congress to get us into war. The CIA is not the culprit; George W. Bush is.