CIFS login

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by teeshot, Sep 6, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2009
    Just purchased an LG DVD Player (BD570) with WiFi connected by wireless to my network.

I want to be able to watch the movies, mainly avi's that are stored on my iMac and/or external drive thru the LG on the TV. (connecting a USB external drive directly to the LG works great)

The iMac does show up as a server on the LG, however when I select it, a request comes up for a CIFS login and password. Tried my iMac login as well as the router login. Neither of which work.

The term CIFS is a new one to me and searches haven't helped me. Any suggestions ?

2. macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2010
    CIFS and Samba are Windows File Sharing.
    Do you have that enabled?
    System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options

There is a checkbox for "Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)."
    You can then select with account to use.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2009
    Thank You

Works like a charm. I learn something new every day.
  4. macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2011
    Simple as that

Thank you guys so much!!! I have the exact setup apparently and all I had to do was google the CIFS login lg and found this, much appreciated!! Works beautifully. :)
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2011
    uh oh...

well it worked great for a week or two! now i have a problem, maybe you can help? At first the only problem was figuring out the CIFS login, but now Im having a problem with my lg blu ray showing my computer as a server. Its not there anymore! Any ideas why this could be? No settings, no firewalls, nothing has been changed.... Im lost...