Cilantro: yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cowboy Dan, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Cowboy Dan macrumors newbie

OK, so I'm doing a bit of research and I want to know what you people think about cilantro. Cilantro the herb.

I've put up a poll here.

I know people have some strong opinions about the stuff, so please take a second to let me know what you think!

For those of you that aren't sure, cilantro is the same thing as coriander and is sometimes called Chinese parsley.

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

2. Wash!! macrumors 6502

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

A must for salsa, queso, and other forms of Tex-Mex!

I just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago about putting some on chalupas tonight!

Iguanas go nuts for the stuff as well....FYI

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, it looks very much like Italian parsley, so it's easy to confuse the two when I'm at work.

Smells good though :D

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I love it, but I hear there is a gene that determines whether you can stand cilantro.

6. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Love it, love it, love it. Fresh is superior to dried, of course.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

good stuff and I use it often.

One interesting thing is that the dried cilantro never, ever tastes the same or as good as fresh - odd, since most other spices/herbs retain some of the fresh flavor. Anyone know why?

D

9. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Great Herbed Howler Monkeys You're right! People do have strong opinions about cilantro. I never would have thought.
    I like it. Great in fresh salsa.

10. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Holy Dried Douroucoulis! I think many dried herbs lose some of their flavor as they age. So it might depend on how long the dried cilantro has been sitting on the store shelves.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

actually, nevermind dried, i notice that cilantro that's a few days old or been washed a few times already lose that strong and lovely smell...

nothing beats fresh cilantro! hmm...

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Known as coriander on this side of the pond...

And I'll cast a 'nay' - I don't mind a little in salsa etc but I loathe heavy handed portions tossed into salads and soups willynilly.

Who knows tho it might be because even the fresh stuff over here looks like it got picked a week ago...

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I checked with my wife. She said that she isn't a real fan. She has tried food that contained Cilantro and like the taste. Her concern about using Cilantro in her cooking is know about the freshness.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Being a free response poll people will be more likely to vote that they like it a lot because they feel strongly about it.

Personally, I think it is very nasty.

scem0

15. msbsound macrumors regular

Aroma

One of my favorite fresh herbs. Really wakes up all other flavors around it. HAS to be fresh though, I do agree.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I love it!!!

It's great in salads, on eggs, and salsa of course. It also acts as a chelator and helps in the removal of heavy metals (lead, mercury, etc) from the body.

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

a lot of mexican people it it from the bunch hehe

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Good stuff :) I like it in pretty much anything--has a great smell to it too.

EDIT: 1000th post! :cool:

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well all dried herbs lose potency during the drying process. If you've ever used fresh thyme vs dried you'll notice a similar decrease in flavor.

With some herbs you can reinvigorate their flavors by gently heating them in a dry frying pan before use. Doesn't work too well with green herbs unfortunately but it will work with many other types.

Around here cilantro is the name for the fresh bunch of the herb, coriander is what the seeds and the ground powder from the seeds is labeled in my spice cabinet. And I'm pretty lucky being where I am, I can almost always go to the local farmers markets and pick up fresh stuff (not just cilantro) that was picked within the last 24 to 48 hours. Heck, I drive past fields every day on my way to my house. They're full of lettuce and cauliflower right now since it's winter though. If I want a salad I can walk down the road and grab one of the heads of lettuce that fell off the truck on it's way out! :D

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Funny thing - I don't remember ever conciously eating it, and knowing it's there...funny thing because everyone has an opinion about it. I'll have to ask around and try some. :)

21. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

LOVE cilantro - I use it in many meals - breakfasts, lunch salads, dinners - love it. I do know many friend who hate it so I have to be wary of serving it in anything at parties.

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, I know someone who can't stand it. He says it tastes just like soap and can't stand eating even a tiny bit, and he said something about the genetic aspect as well. Personally I love the stuff, you can't have great Thai food without it, or ceviche.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You might like it along with your Ramen Noodles though. ;) Have you actually tried some of the fresh.

My wife tries to cook from scratch using fresh vegetable and herbs. Then you get a fresher and more nutritious taste.

24. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

It's a distinct flavor that people like or dislike, seldom in between. I love it, and experienced it first in Mexico years ago not knowing what that flavorful green plant was on the rolled taco. I've been a fan ever since.

25. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec