Cinema display: 30" or 24"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Enrico, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Hi there guys! First of all congratulation for your wounderful (and helpful) community up here:cool:

I've a terrible dilemma:D
    I've got to buy a Cinema Display, either the 24" or the 30". I usually tend to use Photoshop and Aperture/Lightroom along with the pics I shoot with my Canon 30D.

Do you think that 30inches are too many, for the normal daylife of computer using? I mean, 30" would be perfect for photography, but I wonder if the normal browsing/computer using could get tedious as looking at small prints while you stay a bit far from the monitor.

When I try to hook up my MBP at my Sony FullHD 46", it's almost impossible to feel comfortable because you've gotta stay not too near to it while it's not easy to see the fonts from far.
    Don't consider the price difference, just the dimensions alone!

Thanks in advance for any buying tip!

Enrico

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That Sony is probably a TV display right? If so it's only got a resolution of 1920x1080 which is why you need to sit so far back.

The 30" display has a resolution of 2560x1600 (much higher) so it's going to be much clearer and give you a lot more screen space than the 46" Sony display.

The 23" has probably the same resolution as the 46" Sony.

3. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

That's right, the Sony is an LCD TV with HDMI input for the PC.

Maybe it's going to be "only" a matter of resolution? The workspace will be for sure greater.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I had a 23" - it was good, really good.
    The 30" (which I have now) is even better. You can multitask with full screens. Definitely worth it to me! :)

5. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

So you don't recall any prints visualization problems on internet browsing and general use so far?

BTW, OT: nice equipment!;)

6. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

7. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Just so you know all 3 ACDs (20, 23, 30") all have 100dpi displays.
    This means that letters will be the same size on all three screens, it's just that you'll have more room to work on the 30".

If money is not an issue and your computer is powerful enough to run it I'd go for the 30". I really can't think of any real downside. It also seems to be immune from the pink backlight problem that affects the 23" ACD.

8. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

Expanded workspace is really useful.
    Well if the characters size are all the same, let's go with 30", why not? :D