Cinema Display not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by *HOA*Maxmus, Mar 13, 2007.

1. *HOA*Maxmus macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Great to be on this forum! I was wondering if someone can help me. I compute with a G5 dual core PowerMac and a 23 inch cinnema display (both less than one year old). Last night when I woke my PowerMac from the sleep mode, the fans on the G5 just screamed and the display wouldn't turn on. So I cold boot the G5. Today, the fans on the G5 are still loud and the display won't turn on.

Please help

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If your G5 makes the "take-off of an airplane" noise, it crashed severe! Restart it, use cocktail are some other app to do some maintenance and you should be fine. If you have more kernalpanics (it sounds that it is that), do a fresh install. Maybe something has been corrupted and crashes everything.

3. *HOA*Maxmus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dreadnought, it does sound like a "take-off of an airplane" noise, and hence kernalpanics (?). I'm a bit worry about a "fresh install" since that will erase everything on my hard drive. I did make a backup last month so that might not be too bad.

And may I ask what you mean by"use cocktail are some other app to do some maintenance and you should be fine?" is this a maintenance software?

Again, thanks for the advices.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yes, Cocktail is maintenance software, you can also use MacJanitor, does the same thing. Look for it at versiontracker.com and run it once a month (if your Mac is on 24/7 and doesn't go to sleep, it does these maintenances by itself at night, so then you don't need it!).

You can also do a fresh install of only OS X and leaving all your documents and applications on your computer. It only replaces your System. So only apps that will be affected are the ones that save preferences and such in the System folder.

May I ask which system software do you have? With 10.3.x I also had several kernal panics on my dual G5 every once in a while. I never had it with 10.4.x.

How is it with the Cinema Display? Does your G5 work again after a restart?