Cinema Display Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by evil_santa, Jun 19, 2005.

1. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I just got my G5 (D2.7) & 23" Cinema Display. Is there any way I can use the display to power up the G5. On my old ADC Studio display 17" I could turn the whole system on from the display. On the G5 I seem to be able to only power the system down or turn just the display on/off. The G5 is on the floor under the desk, so it is easier to power up the system from the screen than the G5.

I personally feel the move back to DVI from ADC is a backward step. On the G4 ADC I had 1 cable that carried everything. It didn't take up any of the usb ports on the back of the G4. With the G5 I have had to put a USB card in it & have and make space for an extra power outlet.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

If you venture into System Preferences -> Cinema HD Display -> Options you can configure the display to put your G5 to sleep or wake it up :D

Attached Files:

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

that's not really what he's asking though.

Apple went from ADC to DVI to be able to sell Cinema displays to powerbook user, because as you know Powerbooks can't use ADC due to power restraints. As far as I know they could have made powering up work, remember the old G3 keyboards with the power button on there (using those as examples because prior to those keyboards they were ADB). The Cinema Display does have USB connections so I don't see why it's not possible.

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The reason for the shift from ADC to DVI most likely had nothing to do with power constraints, because both the DVI-ADC adapter arrangement and the current Apple LCD monitor (DVI) arrangement involve plugging into wall power.

I agree that it's kind of odd that powering up the system can't be accomplished by way of the button on the monitor, and I agree that it's probably possible for Apple to add the feature. For now though, sleep and wake is better than nothing.

5. evil_santa thread starter macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I tried the "short" keyboard from my old imac to see if the power switch works.... errr No. Will I will be stooping under the desk for the next 5 years then!

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I understood the question, but offered the advice anyways as I figured the original poster must have been referring to sleep. My mistake. Why would anyone want to turn their Mac off and on instead of just putting it to sleep :confused:

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

But its so much easier to just hit any key on the keyboard to wake the system that to aim to the power button on the display! :D

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

True. It is much better for the system if you have it sleep when you would usually turn it off. This is partially because Unix prefers to be left running 24/7, but also because it is more strenuous on the hardware to shut down and startup than it is to leave it running.

9. evil_santa thread starter macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I will give the Sleep option a try. I have always turned the computer off when Im out the house & overnight etc.

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

True. But where's the "any" key? j/k.

11. Cybernanga macrumors regular

When your system is asleep, UNIX is NOT running! (You can tell, because cron job's don't run when the system is sleeping)

However, you are correct in saying that there is more strain on the system when you shutdown and startup.

N.B. The cron jobs usually run at 3am, what I do is sleep my system (I never shut down my iBook) but I have it set to wake up at 2:50 am, so it can run the cron job's and then sleep again at 4:00am.

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Correct, it isn't running, but it's not shut down either. That's actually what I meant to say, it just sounded wrong. I meant that Unix prefers to not be shut down and restarted periodically.