Cinema Display release in March or April?

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by saint&sinner, Mar 18, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Anyone have any insider scoop or thoughts on weather Apple is release the new 24inch cinema display in March 08 or April of 08? we're planning to buy a whole new setup of fcp edit system with 23 inch display was wondering if we should wait another month for the new line of display.

2. macrumors 65816

Quillz

It's possible, but there aren't even any rumors about new Cinema Displays. Also, wouldn't something larger be released, such as 25'' or 30''?

3. macrumors 68040

Bubba Satori

No. :D

4. macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess not. :D

5. Roy
    macrumors 6502

Just got off of the phone with Steve Jobs. He say no new cinema displays coming in March or April of 2008. I think he's telling the truth this time and not holding back any information.;)

6. macrumors newbie

Alas guys

hopefully sooner than later :)

7. macrumors regular

dam0dred

I think it's completely insane that the ACDs haven't been updated (or at least dropped in price) in almost 2 years.

8. macrumors 68040

They have been updated. The screens are not the same technology from 2 years ago.

And the price is worth it for what they are compared to Dell for example.

9. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

The only thing they are missing is HDCP support and new interfaces (DisplayPort/HDMI). No Apple hardware currently supports DP or HDMI and until Apple ships Blu-Ray with their machines, HDCP is also irrelevant (in Apple's view).

As to price, the ACDs remain comparable to other S-IPS panels that use high-quality components.

And with Apple's stated goal of "going green", they likely want LED backlit panels. Right now, Samsung is the only manufacturer I know who offers a 20", 24" and 30" LED backlit panel and their prices are upwards of double what an ACD costs. So it is likely Apple is waiting for the price of the panels to drop sufficiently to allow them to be placed into ACDs at the current price points.

Now I freely admit I want a future-proofed display that has at least HDMI and HDCP (though DP would be nice), so if Apple doesn't deliver that in an ACD in the next 60 days, I will buy the new S-IPS NEC panels because I will need a new display with my MacBook Pro I am getting within that time period.

10. macrumors newbie

I would like to see the pixel density jump into 140+ppi, the 23 inch form factor is fine...I don't want to sit over a meter away from the monitor to get a comfortable 36deg viewing angle.

11. macrumors 6502a

shinji

What new NEC S-IPS? Isn't the most recent one the 2490wuxi from last year?

12. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

They just launched a new 30", which is the form factor I plan to get and was referring to (though I should have been clearer).

13. macrumors 6502a

shinji

14. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

That be the one. :cool:

15. macrumors 6502a

shinji

I'm looking at the NEC's...having trouble deciding between a 24" or 30" NEC, waiting for an ACD, or a LaCie. I haven't owned an NEC monitor since my CRT, but I loved that thing.

16. macrumors regular

AndyClarke

I am also waiting for an updated ACD. Been waiting two years now lol but will take the plunge soon enough. At the moment I use a HPw2207h and that works well with my macbook pro and Sky HD.