Cinema display specs in Europe are different from the US

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thesheep, Sep 8, 2006.

1. thesheep macrumors regular

thesheep

I've had it confirmed from Apple customer service that the specs for the cinema displays in Europe are not the same as in the US.

In the US the 23", for example is rated as Brightness: 400 cd/m2, Contrast 700:1, Response time 14ms.

However, in the UK and the rest of Europe the screens being sold (both through the Apple website AND physical Apple Stores) still have the old specs of Brightness 270 cd/m2, Contrast 400:1, Response time: 16ms.

To see the different specs on the website, click on the 'Store' tab, then under 'Mac Accessories' in the left hand column click on 'Displays'. Browse to the 23 inch display and scroll down to view the specs. If you do this for the US site and then the UK site, you will see that the specs are different. Apple UK have also confirmed this difference to me directly in an email.

Note that if you click on the 'Hardware' tab from the homepage, and browse to the technical specifications for the displays, the UK site currently also shows the updated (US) specifications. I pointed this out to the customer service team and they said this is an error and they are going to get this corrected as soon as possible.

2. thesheep thread starter macrumors regular

thesheep

I'm a bit surprised no-one has commented on this, or picked it up. It was a shock to me to learn that I could only get the lower spec in the UK. Is it quite normal for Apple to sell different specs in different regions? Or nobody buying Cinema Displays in Europe is reading this forum maybe?

3. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Thanks for this information, I am in the market for a 23inch or 20 inch Cinema Display and I live in the UK, I will definately wait until the newer models come into my local Apple Store before buying one.

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Thanks for letting us know.

Definitely an interesting fact!

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The Dutch Apple site gives the new specs since the update early August. But what I find strange is the modelnumber which hasn't changed since the introduction in 2004. For the 23" this is M9178*/A. Where the star (*) is two letters. And these two letters are the different models! So look out when buying a new ACD. I believe ZM is the old serie and LL are the updated ones, or the ZM is the European one and the LL is the US one...