Cinema Display updates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lopchopstop, May 14, 2006.

1. lopchopstop macrumors newbie

Heh, was just wondering if i could get some educated guesses as to when the cinema display line will be updated?
    I'm very interested in peoples opinions as to the possibility of a 17" display. Any opinions?

2. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I cannot see a 17" display being released. As to the updates, i would guess some time in mid 2007 for a new design. Resolution changes etc could happen in the next 6 but are constantly being updated.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah I can see a few quiet bumps in resolution but I'm not sure we'll see a form-factor change or a peripheral port upgrade with them for quite a while. It's possible they might do something at WWDC if you're not in a huge hurry to purchase....

I don't think Apple are at all interested in making anything under 20" though. People made a lot of noise wanting a 17" a while ago but it never eventuated.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think we could see an upgrade around the time the PowerMacs are replaced. Maybe a thinner form factor but with and iSight/IR receiver built-in to take away some of the competitive advantage of the cheaper Dell displays.

Same resolutions though, nothing much changed there - higher resolutions will need dual-link DVI as standard across more Macs than the PM and the MBP. I wouldn't like to see the 20" screen be the only one you can plug into a mini or a MacBook because it, now at the new resolution of 1920x1200 is the only display they can support.

Higher res will need both dual-link DVI across the board and 10.5's resolution independent UI to make them really shine.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

6. Demoman macrumors regular

This is the one area of computer technology knowledge I am weakest with. I have an early 2.0 x 2 PM, which I have upgraded the video card to the ATI 9800 Pro. I also have a new Quad with the 7800GT upgrade. Each drive a 23" Cinema Display. Now, I have always been under the belief that the reason I could not get the max resolution of the video cards is due to the limitation of the monitors. I also wondered what is holding the monitor manufacturers back from catching up to the video cards. I understand they are completely different technologies and have more challenging engineering to deal with. You seems to understand this well. Could you please explain further to us less knowledgeable? Thanks.

7. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but why doesn't Apple release a 17" display? Would that "cheapen" the image/status? :confused:

8. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

the software engineers make all the programs to work on the 20 inch display, any resolution or screen that is smaller isn't 'ideal' for many of their apps.

honestly, lcds are getting so cheap, I don't see a reason why anything less than 20s would be wanted/needed except for space. :confused:

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

your completely wrong, 99% of graphics cards with DVI ports can run 1920x1200 which is the native res of your 23" displays, I run mine off a radeon 7500 and it works fine natively. the res which the card can do is not an they could do stupidly high res's if the port has a bandwidth, it's not like your not "utilising the cards power", it's the bandwidth of the port and at the moment the maximum single link DVI can do is 1920x1200, dual link DVI can do 2560x1600 out of the 7800GT so you'd need a 30" to "utilise it", (it can do higher it would just sacrifice the refresh rate, eg it can do 3840 × 2400 at 48Hz, oh and when i say the refresh rate with lcd's it's more like the frame rate).

10. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

wow. what tact. :rolleyes:

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i just woke up, and wrote that at a million miles an hour, anyway the dude asked.

i've got to go do some maths.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Back to the original question.

I think they'll bump up displays alongside with new Mac Pros (PMs). They will integrate iSight in it and improve the panels. NO higher res.

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I like the current ACD line-ups are nice as is. I hope any update for ACDs will closely follow the current industrial design. However, I would like to see "upgrade" on the pricing (ie. price reduction) given the current LCD pricing is in the downward trend and a standard 3 year warranty (instead of the current 1 year warranty).

14. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I agree, I really do not see a need for Apple to release a 17" display because right now the prices are so cheap and people keep wanting bigger and bigger display's...I would rather see a price drop in the 20" display. Regarding when some new displays might be coming out, I would say when the new Power Mac's come out and hopefully we will see a major price cut on the 30" display...because I have been waiting to buy one.

15. Demoman macrumors regular

Thanks for the info...I think.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Don't sweat it, most people are wrong about most things, heck the other day while i was despywareing a neighbors computer she has a cloth over the lcd when it was off to "stop the radiation".

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

LOL!!! :D :D :D

18. PJJames macrumors newbie

I think we could see a 17' Display. It'd sure look good. I'm hoping for iSight to be in the next generation Cinema Display's. Although, some office's may not want built in camera's in their displays.

19. ikonq macrumors member

God, i hate it when people are like that aha.

Then they go to answer their cell phone, watch tv and cook food in a microwave... >.<