cinema display with PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fjs08, Aug 7, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I have an "old" style Cinema Display (got it Dec '03) that works great with my TiBook. I've neveer been able to get it to work with my PC too. Anything new out that would help??
    Thanks.
    Frank

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What have you done to try to get it to work?

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The PC just needs a compatible graphics card, that's all. I use an old 23" Cinema Display at work with PCs. Radeon 9000+ or Geforce FX cards should work fine. On some radeon cards it will not show text mode though, so you have to wait until the OS starts up before you get a picture.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a ThinkPad t40 with an ATI Mobility Fire GL 9000. Should that work??

I do have the adapter that fits in the back of the ThinkPad Dock and I had to get it for the TiBook. It's the DVI to ADC adapter.

Frank

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

try and check what the maximum resolution that your think pad can do is and if it is good enough for the moniter (the 20" is 1680x1050)

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

We also tried to use an Apple Cinema Display with a portable and a DVI dock at my workplace. That didn't work. I think it could be because the output from the dock isn't digital but uses only the analog pins of the DVI connector.

If the dock has a PCI slot, and you're really desperate, you could see if you can find a PCI graphics card with DVI.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If I understand what you've tried, I think I see the problem. The ADC to DVI adaptor (as sold by Apple and Dr Bott) requires an external power supply.