cinema display with ThinkPad

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fjs08, Feb 12, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    A friend brought over his ThinkPad with a Port Replicator II (PRII) to see if he could hook it up to my 20" Cinema Display. He loves mine and wants to get one for himself. There is a port on the back of the PRII that takes the ?ADC or DVI which ever it is called, plug. I have a DVI to ADC adapter for the Mac. I have it plugged into a 15" TiBook.
    Anyway, when he plugs it in, nothing happens. He can't bring up the monitor at all. We tried shutting everything down and doing a cold reboot, and he couldn't even get the ThinkPad to boot. When we unplugged the Cinema Display and replugged in a standard monitor to the "regular" video plug, everything worked fine. Is it that you just can't mix Apples and oranges??? So to speak<g>??

Frank

2. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Re: cinema display with ThinkPad

Assuming that he's running on WinXP Pro, he probably need drivers to use the Cinema or a hack.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

>>Assuming that he's running on WinXP Pro, he probably need drivers to use the Cinema or a hack.<<

It's XP Pro. He wasn't happy. He may start looking for drivers. He loves the monitor<g>.

Frank

4. g4pismo macrumors member

g4pismo

Depending on what thinkpad you have, the DVI port may not be active. The PR's usually work for an entire series (t20-t40). It may also have an inactive FireWire port on it as well...

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not active. That's one I've not thought about. I'll have to check that one out.

Frank