Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Just wanted to whet everyone's whistle a bit with my little story.

Im a 3D animation student with a large large large animation/movie project moving into its final stages for the semester. I have a 400mHz G4 Tower (1gig ram) and a 550 mHz Titanium (512 ram). I do most of my animating and stuff on the laptop, and use the tower for rendering for ram reasons.....until.......

I decided to lug all of my render files and textures to school where we have some dual 800's (1gig, why not 1.5 Im not sure) sitting around not doing anything. Well, I fired up OSX, threw my files onto the server and 6 hours later, had my first camera move rendered. That may not seem like much to you, until I tell you that the same render at home took anywhere between 24-30 hours. Yes my friends, the Dual 800 IS 4x faster (or more).

There were two renderlines running from the dual processors, running twice as fast each than my 400. Yeah. Twice as fast, times 2.

If that dont make you want to spend another 3 grand, I dont know what would. Now that the dual 1gig are out, it (theoretically) should be 5 times faster. Once I get all of my actual animation done, rendering will (now) be a snap. For a five minute movie, what would have been a 40 DAY render, will now take about a week and a half.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
At my fathers company we have 83 powermac g4s ranging from single & dual 500 & 533, Dual 800 and just arrived 5 dual 1ghz. These machines are used for repro and are all maxed out with ram etc...

About 6 months ago I linked 60 or so of these macs using parallel through out 1000bs-t copper network. It was flipping AMAZING! I was really impressed with the speed of just about anything. I only had 1 program running in it properly which was pshop using pooch but I know that you can use it for all apps, this will push out media really quickly. Just make sure you have REAL fast HDS!

Check out: http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/appleseed/appleseed.html

Guy

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Wow.

-------
No, that wasnt good enough..

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! 83 freakin' powermacs g4's?????????? Holy-freakin' ****-balls! Are you kidding me? With that kind of power, I could have my animation rendered in ummmm....about 20 seconds. You are lucky to have that kind of exposure, and if I remember right, at such a young age. Pooch--Ive heard of that. Nice. Sweet. You lucky-dog you.

Whew. Yeah, that was Better.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Its half term next week and hopefully I can convince them to let me use some macs apart from people use alot of them so I get less as the time goes on, its only great at weekends when its just me!

The speed is awesome, photoshop doesn't even do any processing.
I may have said but forgotten its best if you have SCSI raid to write on to which is pref a machine that is not in use, but not an NT like at work which crashes every 2 days or so.

Guy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.