Cingular 8125 not loading....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by truz, Oct 6, 2006.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Anyone run into the problem with a brand new cingular 8125 not loading at all?

It seems to be stuck on the boot screen (IPL, SPL, GSM, OS) <- top left corner and like a wallpaper that says "Cingular, raising the bar."

I spoke with a tech and tried to reload the pda and it does not seem to work. He said it's bad hardware but after I got off the phone it loaded up and shortly after that (while it was setting things up) went back to the boot screen and I can't get it to load up again....

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did not have this issue at all. I had another weird issue that was solved by taking the phone back 20 days after I got it and they gave me a new one with a new 30-day return policy attached to it.
    I would return it. Even if you solve whatever issue it has, you'll be sorry later on. As you know there is no insurance for this phone at Cingular and therefore you will undoubtedly be screwed if you don't handle this now by getting a new phone. Be certain that when you do get the new phone that you tell them you'll need another 30 days attached to it to return it for any defects. This is a new phone, a rev A as Macheads will call it, and it is certainly prone to issue as a new item. So far reported issues are very small making me this Cingular really did well with this bad boy, but in the end, it's a new phone $300-$400 and not worth the headache of bugs if you can prevent them.

Get a new phone, could be a bad rom install on their end. I know my first one came with 1.8 or something and when I swapped it 20 days later it had 2.5 or whatever the updated rom was.

3. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

jessica.

do you currently have the 8125 from cingular? if not.. what phone do you have?

I also ordered the pantech and samsung, both seem to work flawless and very well. The samsung is very eye catching, more then I thought.

but.. my needs are mobile email and to be able to reply fast. I also like the idea of being able to surf the web which is also a plus when a server goes down I can make sure the team gets it back up quickly while I'm on the road.

What other phones do you recommend and how come cingular does not offer insurance on this pda?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think they wised up with the RAZR phones when people were turning the phones in and getting brand new ones, but then in theory the phones weren't really being returned. The credit card numbers they were getting so that if the phone never made it back ended up being bad. They do not offer insurance for that reason and that it is a costly phone. You can get third party insurance for it though and I would recommend that. Loss, damage, etc.

I have the 8125. I bought it for similar reasons to you and actually suddenly some of my functions have changed and I'm not sure I am keeping it. I'm highly considering selling it, but I haven't had enough time to look around for another phone.
    I thought about the pantech, but in truth, I am not sure I want it. I still need/want e-mail and this 8125 is a dream so it's hard to decide.

The only phone I may recommend over the 8125 is the Q. Cingular doesn't offer it though of course and unless it takes a sim card (which it does not afaik) you can't have it. :)

5. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Look and size I think the 8125 is much better then the Moto Q for verizon. Size is also another issue for myself. I mailed it back out today as I can't get it to boot up. Amazon is shipping the new one tuesday and I should have it sometime that week (thursday or friday). fyi, the pantech is way to small for myself. It's great for a phone as you never even know it's in your pocket (very light, smaller then a credit card) I think the samsung is a great phone, thin, not to big.. I wish the screen was touch screen/pda like the 8125.

6. guyj macrumors newbie

Third Party Insurance

I bought my Cingular 8125 off of Ebay. The user that I brought it from said that he had only had it for a week and that it was in basically new condition. But after about a day or so of having it I noticed that the screen would freeze. Cosmetically it looks great and when it wants to it runs fine. But, sometimes the touch screen application doesn't work. I press with the stylus or my finger and nothing happens but I can use the buttons to navigate to where I want to go fine. I spoke with him and I don't think that he still has the warranty and I didn't get the link from Ebay to buy a warranty from them. I called Cingular and asked about a warranty or insurance and found (like everyone else) that they don't offer it. I look and look. . .and looked for forums that would provide an alternative solution but have found non.

What I'm really trying to say is can anyone please tell me THE NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION OF A THIRD PARTY INSURER or at least an established place where I can find one? FYI I don't have any other type of insurance (i.e. health, car, life ect.) or a credit card. . . I'm a college student ;{

It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wow....old thread.

But the 8125 hasn't been sold by Cingular as a new phone for almost a year (I know there were some refurbs available recently, a coworker of mine picked one up for cheap). In all honesty, the phone isn't worth a whole lot now and an insurance plan at this point probably isn't worth it.

And, the idea of an insurance policy on the phone is to buy it when you get the phone, and have a policy to cover you when the phone breaks or gets lost, stolen, whatever, not to buy it once something happens. With car insurance, you don't get a policy after you have a wreck, you have it as long as you own the car (and hope you never need to use it) If I'm not mistaken, buying insurance on the phone after it breaks is insurance fraud.

I think your only option here is to live with that phone, or buy a new one.

8. guyj macrumors newbie

;(

Well. . .thank you. I didn't know that the phone was old. :eek: The user I got it from said that it was new and he had just gotten it. Luckily for me I've informed him of the problem and he has agreed to take the phone back if the problem persists. I did a little more research about the screen, too. Do you think it'd be worth paying for repair. I bought the phone for $150.00 from ebay and from what I've seen a new screen would be upwards of $160.00. :( The thing that I don't understand is why I should have to pay all that money when it's a small problem. The only problem. The touch application sometimes just stops working and then it'll start up again, all be it a inconvenient times. Do you know of a cheaper solution? Plus my it was a Christmas gift from my mom and I really do like the phone.