Cingular + AT&T Wireless = thanks for nothing

Discussion in 'Community' started by craigdawg, Nov 15, 2004.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

So I am/was an AT&T Wireless customer and all ready to upgrade to a new GSM phone and rollover plan, today being the first day I can do so and...the Cingular web server is "temporarily unavailable".

Way to go morons.

2. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Web sites aren't the most reliable source in the world. Have you tried calling them?

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ha.

Its not as bad as the Cingular people who switched to AT&T just go get bought out.

Horray for an even large crappy phone company!

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. It seems they just merged the networks (in my area, at least), and they're still working some issues out.

For example, we've always had absolutely no reception in my house (Cingular). The other day, I looked at my phone and saw I have full coverage! I immediately started making calls and indeed, the signal was perfect.

I ran into the other room to tell everyone else, and the signal was gone -- just like that! :( ... but it was back fifteen minutes later :D

If your problems persist though, give them a call. Cingular (and I guess, now AT&T too) is pretty good about giving you little reimbursements here and there for your troubles.

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

merger eh? does this mean i can get mMode on my cingular phone?

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Cingular is the worst mobile company I have had, ever. :mad:

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Cingular sucks and now it is twice as bad as before. :)

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have the same problem with mine (AT&T). Works ok sometimes, other times not so much. Outside it's usually fine. Bought an external antenna for about $10... works much better now indoors.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is that the antenna deal that you stick on the back of the battery?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Cingular isnt that bad, its better than tmoblie or sprint

but anyways, their website is horrible, if you need to deal with them, call or better yet to into a service provider, its much more reliable, trust me

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

cingular sucks. everyone ive talked to about my problem (antenna fell off) has given me a different answer and they couldn't decide whether warranty/insurance would cover it and one guy told me to go to planet wireless where the person pulled out a screwdriver, opened the phone and made a new antenna out of a screw and something i couldn't discern:rolleyes:and now the warranty's void...

13. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

My experience with Cingular has been lukewarm at best. I've been a customer of theirs since 1998 when they were still known as Cellular One in the Northeast. Reception-wise, I've been lucky and haven't gotten any dropped calls around the Massachusetts/Southern New England area. Things for the most part have been good since I've been a customer. That's not to say that I haven't had my share of mishaps and service issues occuring (phone just dies, I want to upgrade phone, I want to change plans, etc).

Cingular has to have one of the worst customer service experience I've ever had to endure. Maybe it's just bad luck but everytime I had an issue with my phone, it was always a big production. I can never open their website correctly. I always get error messages when I try to log in to pay my bill online. Customer service over the phone 9 times of out 10 wouldn't be able to help and would direct me to stop by a main branch which for me is close by to where I work. Now it could just be back luck but everytime I go in there, I am waiting at least an hour before I get helped. It seems like they're always understaffed when it's busy. 3 or 4 customer service representatives in a store with 10+ people each with their own issues. One time, a customer in front of me was incredibably rude, obviously not thinking about anyone but herself and made the CSR go through EVERY phone they carried and what plans they offered so she could make an informed decision on which one to get.

So basically, Cingular is overall an ok company and as long as your phone works, everything is fine. It's when you have an issue and need some help that I pray for you...

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How's this for making things even more confusing.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/33863.html

Cingular buys AT&T Wireless. AT&T then strikes a deal with Sprint to offer phones on the Sprint network.

At this rate I'll buy a phone from the Verizon store, which will be used on T-Mobile's network, and I'll get bills from Cingular.

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

What are you talkin about?

Cingular is by the best cell phone provider since they have switched to GSM networks. The Sound quality will beat any other network hands down. And I will prove it. Bring me your phone, and Ill bring mine. I will win.

So you friends have had trouble eh? Well Are they still on the old crap-tacular TDMA networks? Think they're is a reason why they switched to GSM towers?

Oh, your friends phone broke? Was it the free one with a contract? BIG SURPRISE. You get what you pay for. Come on people. Mine broke and I walked in, and they handed me a brand new one right then and there.

The new GSM doesn't work where you live? You're right, its mainly in cities/interstates hwys. There is a down side to living in the styx.

All-in-all You have no no real claims.

I win.

16. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Cingular and T-Mobile struck up a similar deal in my area a while back. Cingular essentially allows T-Mobile to share some of their towers for $$$. I think it's a pretty win-win situation: T-Mobile customers get more coverage, Cingular gets more $$$.

17. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

My disappointment is not so much with the GSM service--Cingular and AT&T Wireless have been sharing GSM networks in my area since the summer--but with the committment they made ("Please check back on November 15, 2004") and not ensuring they had enough capacity to handle the traffic.

Not a good way to welcome your new 22-odd million customers.

I had a boss that used to be a regional manager for Denny's. He told me that every time they would open a new restaurant in his region, they'd bring in a special crew of servers and cooks that specialized in restaurant openings.

They purposely overstaffed the restaurant, allowing the experienced crew to work with and train the everyday crew because Denny's management wanted to make sure they didn't lose any business due to poor customer service from a brand new, inexperienced crew.

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm a Cingular customer, and now I'm thinking about switching to AT&T due to their pay-as-you-go service. Don't use the phone that much (obviously), so I can't really say if it's any good. I think these two were among the lowest rated carriers before the merger, so I doubt much will change. However, it would be cool if AT&T would let me keep my Treo to use with the pay-as-you-go. Therefore, I suspect it's not very likely.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Actually the deal I mentioned is not quite the same as sharing networks.

AT&T Wireless was its own company, independent from the AT&T parent it spun off from. AT&T Wireless was bought by Cingular. AT&T Wireless no longer exists. Parent company AT&T now strikes a deal with Sprint to offer wireless service on Sprint networks. Different company, different service technology (CDMA vs TDMA/GSM), just a similar name to keep consumers thoroughly confused.

20. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

[sarcasm]Thats great, just great.[/sarcasm]

21. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Wrong. AT&T Wireless was owned by AT&T (partialy or in whole I am not sure.) They decided to sell it to Cingular.

This really has no application to the story at hand, other than if you are trying to say that Cingular should of had More towers to make sure capacity was enough?

If thats the case, you have to realize putting up more towers was just not a logical answer. If Att customers were fine before, and so were cingular customers, why would a merger cause two much congestion :confused: :confused: Its still the same amount of towers.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Actually it was spun off from AT&T in 2001.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/33863.html

23. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

The Cingular rep I spoke with recently said that AT & T and Cingular have been using different types of towers and other infrastructure technologies and that it will take quite some time for them to fully integrate the two systems. Whatever - my reception is very good in the city and local highways - only 2-3 dropped calls in 6 months.

24. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, this is not about GSM service, it's about Cingular's web server being able to take my order for a new phone on the day they told me I can do so.

When AT&T Wireless was spun off from AT&T in 2001, AT&T kept only a 7.4% stake in the new company.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No. Those don't help, and can sometimes even make things worse. There are external antennas you can buy that attach to the phones through a connection in the back. Here is one of the models I have (eBay is littered with them).

Attached Files: