Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Actually, Cingular won't become 'AT&T Wireless', but rather simply 'AT&T.' They've confirmed that there will be no 'AT&T Wireless' or 'AT&T Mobile.' They plan to bundle everything under one banner.

This whole merger mess is convoluded. For those of you without a headache, I'll try to sum it up for you. Let's see if I get this right...

Bellsouth and SBC started Cingular.
AT&T spun off AT&T Wireless.
SBC bought AT&T and adopted their name.
Cingular bought AT&T Wireless.
AT&T Bought Bellsouth and Cingular.

It's almost like an ouroboros.

ugh.

What's next? AT&T becomes a monopoly and gets split up by the government?

Oh. Really? Ma Bell? In the Early '80s? Nevermind then.

Actually, the last bit should be AT&T bought Bellsouth, thus unifying the Cingular service under one company.

People is the US don't remember what happened last week. It has been so many years since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless that, for most, any bad experiences are long forgotten. Also, most old Cingular customers came from Southwestern Bell/CellularONE and BellSouth Mobility.

Oh, know they don't. The vast majority of users that had AT&T Wireless or know the companies well enough know how bad it was. And it's even more well-known because of how staunch and bitchy the former AT&T Wireless users have been since the purchase of it by Cingular.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Oh, know they don't. The vast majority of users that had AT&T Wireless or know the companies well enough know how bad it was. And it's even more well-known because of how staunch and bitchy the former AT&T Wireless users have been since the purchase of it by Cingular.
Being a former AT&T Wireless customer who suddenly (and unwillingly) became a Cingular customer, I was much more pleased with AT&T Wireless' customer service than Cingular's (as for my coverage, it never changed).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
PrimeCo was bought out by US Cellular.

around here cellular one was bought out by cingular. about 4 years ago or so at&t merged with cingular taking the cingular name. verizon bought out ameritech and voicestream was bought out by t-mobile.

personally around here at&t is much better then cingular, and my old customers will back me on that. i got out of the biz about the same time at&t was bought by cingular. i never had any problems with at&t.

You're apparently in Illinois. That would explain why you're saying that.

PrimeCo in Indiana and Illinois went to US Cellular and the Ohio Bell part of Ameritech went to SBC.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Oh, know they don't. The vast majority of users that had AT&T Wireless or know the companies well enough know how bad it was. ...
Reread my post. There was a time when Cingular had zero (0) former AT&T Wireless customers. The fact that some of those customers didn't like the AT&T>Cingular transition after the buyout notwithstanding.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
This reminds me of that simpsons episode where lisa make a $300 call to brazil, and they have to go to the phone company to staighten it out. But they argue over the name of it, like "I think they changed thier name to Zubawta." "No, it became Xamqaut last week."

:)

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
Being a former AT&T Wireless customer who suddenly (and unwillingly) became a Cingular customer, I was much more pleased with AT&T Wireless' customer service than Cingular's (as for my coverage, it never changed).

I'll second that. I kept out of the Cingular game until they absolutely forced me to do otherwise.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Actually, Cingular won't become 'AT&T Wireless', but rather simply 'AT&T.' They've confirmed that there will be no 'AT&T Wireless' or 'AT&T Mobile.' They plan to bundle everything under one banner.

This whole merger mess is convoluded. For those of you without a headache, I'll try to sum it up for you. Let's see if I get this right...

Bellsouth and SBC started Cingular.
AT&T spun off AT&T Wireless.
SBC bought AT&T and adopted their name.
Cingular bought AT&T Wireless.
AT&T Bought Bellsouth and Cingular.

It's almost like an ouroboros.

ugh.

What's next? AT&T becomes a monopoly and gets split up by the government?

Oh. Really? Ma Bell? In the Early '80s? Nevermind then.

It is funny that Apple didn't begin to market the iPhone with AT&T service right from the start since the name is changing before it is even released. January 15th Cingular becomes "Wireless by AT&T" so yes everything will be branded AT&T for ease of marketing instead of a seperate logo, etc. However "Wireless by AT&T" doesn't seem much different then "AT&T Wireless"

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It is funny that Apple didn't begin to market the iPhone with AT&T service right from the start since the name is changing before it is even released. January 15th Cingular becomes "Wireless by AT&T" so yes everything will be branded AT&T for ease of marketing instead of a seperate logo, etc. However "Wireless by AT&T" doesn't seem much different then "AT&T Wireless"

Stan from Cingular made a big deal of mentioning AT&T almost every time he said Cingular.

B

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I would have to disagree. Trying to cancel a Cingular account is like pulling teeth.

Did you port your number to another carrier?

We ported from Cingular to T-Mobile, and when you port numbers, the account on the old carrier is cancelled automatically, we never had to call Cingular.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Did you port your number to another carrier?

We ported from Cingular to T-Mobile, and when you port numbers, the account on the old carrier is cancelled automatically, we never had to call Cingular.
When I canceled my moms service to Cingular it was before the number porting law and they tried everything to keep from canceling.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
more bars more places my butt..lol.. 2 years on Cingular and I miss my verizon.. I don't care what their name is... wait, what was their other slogan? Less dropped calls... 80% of my calls are not usable for real communication.. I text a ton cause talking doesn't work... The iPhone has all the gadgets but will it work as a phone.. I miss my old Star-Tac

DD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.