Cingular or plural?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, Sep 30, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    My dad and I are thinking about dropping Verizon and going with someone else. We especially need a phone that works well and cheaply internationally. He needs a smartphone to check stocks, here, and abroad. I need something I can text on. We've had some experience with all of them (predominantly Sprint and Verizon, we borrowed my aunt's T-Mobile phones for a trip) but have never used Cingular. What's it like? Is it good? Does it work in the west? Do they have good phones? What are their international rates? Why is your fly wet? (just making sure you were still paying attention.)

Thanks in advance.
  2. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    They suck. We'll be switching the day our contract is up in December
  3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'm switching our plan when from verizon to cingular as soon as our contract is up...i believe cingular started out west so it should work fine. if i remember correctly it's cingular that worked best with isync and all that when it was first announced years ago, back in the t68 days. i hate verizon, i have a great phone, from them, yet they cripple all the cool functions on it :rolleyes: just so they can get you to pay a crap load of cash to buy more from them. doesn't work with me.

i'd switch to cingular in a heartbeat, and as for international, i have no clue, but there are ways to make it cheap, cards etc.
  4. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I got out of my TMOBILE contract by taking them to the BBB because they're a bunch of lying bastards. Now I have Cingular. I have not had one dropped call, nor have I had poor reception ANYWHERE yet. Even in the Pepsi Center (Avalanche game) where my tmobile phones would only barely work outside the arena.

Really, I like it. Though I would suggest you get an unlocked phoen to work with cingular (such as the SLVR L7) so you don't have to use the bloated iTunes. The MP3 player it has works fine as is and has no crippled features.
  5. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    I like Cingular. Nice people, good service. I haven't had any dropped calls or any real reception problems in California. Sometimes the signal isn't good, but I think that's because of my school, because it doesn't happen anywhere else.
  6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Oh, you're in Denver? Great! So am I! Which have you used out of the top four (Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile)? Would you say Cingular is the best in the front range? How about in the mountains? My Verizon phone sucked last winter in Vail.
  7. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    You really need to only listen to those people in your local area, each provider varies dramatically from region to region since they are really agglomerations of separate companies and continue to operate as such.

8. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    It's ok here in L.A. most of the time, but so is Verizon. Sprint sucks anywhere.
  9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

Jul 2, 2003
    New York
    Cingular works great where I live, though I don't know how well it works internationally. I would never touch verizon; I can't stand how they cripple every feature on their phone. :rolleyes:
  10. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
  11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I have cingular, I too think it works great. I think it depends on your area. Seeing as you have some feedback from someone in that area, I'd say its worth looking into.

ps. Two people with the same avatars... oh man this gonna make my head hurt.
  12. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm actually in Aurora. :) Yeah, I've used Tmobile and Cingular. I've had friends who have had Verizon and Sprint and everyone says Cingular is hands down the best in the Colorado region.

Verizon drops calls, Sprint is slow and doesn't have great signal, Tmobile used to be great but they've really gone cheap, and cingular so far has been great with signals, dropped calls and text messages.
  13. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Hmm....this helps. Sprint was advertising a few months ago that they had the best reception in the Front Range ---- which I think they do compared to my Verizon phone. My Verizon phone didn't work at all in Vail whereas my sisters had coverage, even at Midvail.

I borrowed my aunt's T-Mobile phone for a few weeks when we went to Southeast Asia and they were great there. It got better coverage than my Verizon phone at home. Sprint internationally has been bad for us. While they did drop their prices recently ($1.50/min in Europe to $1.29), they don't have good coverage there. Our A790 didn't work in the middle of Rome with my sister.

I was just wondering about Cingular as they're the only one I haven't really tried. My brother dropped them a few years ago, but he lived in Boston and the service was just poor at his house. I was impressed with T-Mobile, especially with their phones and prices, but I really want to explore all of my options before my dad and I switch.
  14. skoker macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2005
    Verizon is the best for me, here in NY T-mobile coverage sucks.

However, you have to remember that T-mo is owned by overseas giant Douche Telekom (I think I spelled that wrong :p ) so overseas they should have much better coverage.