Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should avatars on MacRumors be circular or square?

• Circular

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • Square

Votes: 84 53.5%

• Total voters

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Welcome. I'm glad to see you on the other side of the forum migration. Now that we're here, we mustn't forget what's really important: circles and their sharper quadrilateral counterparts, squares. Which of the two is more worthy of avatar inscription? Cast your vote, and your vote will be cast.

If you do prefer square avatars, a minor workaround for desktop exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here is a quick collage of circular and square avatars. Remember, information is power. Arm yourself.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/WxSqUz0.jpg]Image[/url]

Er, odd though it may sound, - and not, I suspect the majority view here - but I have to say that I rather like the circles………..

Now, it could partly be down to the fact that my own avatar as it currently displays, would probably be enhanced, rather than diminished, by a circular framing.

Even so, I rather like the circular framing….juts as I have come to the realisation that I prefer round tables to square ones….

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Now, it could partly be down to the fact that my own avatar as it currently displays, would probably be enhanced, rather than diminished, by a circular framing.

It would look quite a bit like this prior to uploading a version of higher resolution:

oNVaKou.jpg

Perhaps it could use some repositioning. I'm particularly envious of wrldwzrd89's forward-thinking choice of avatar.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
There are certain images that work better as a circle, but I think that the square is more versatile overall.

Also I'm not sure if it's just my blocky MacBook Air display but the circular avatars have some severely jagged edges on the preview site.

Reactions: phrehdd

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I like square avatars, but I'll be happy with whatever is decided.
"I'm just jazzed about being on the show, man." - Guy, Galaxy Quest

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It would look quite a bit like this prior to uploading a version of higher resolution:

Perhaps it could use some repositioning. I'm particularly envious of wrldwzrd89's forward-thinking choice of avatar.

Thanks for posting the nice comparison my avatar as a square and a circle; Ah, and as for re-positioning - do you think so, and if so, how so?

Agree re wrldwzrd89's avatar, it is nicely conceived, clever and well placed to take positive and full advantage of the coming changes.

By the way, the poll looks most odd; all those long lines, ominously reminiscent of the sort of work the kind of deranged artist from the early twentieth century - the sort who supped on absinthe - might produce while under the influence of the muse….

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
With the numerous database and formatting issues cropping up before the impending migration, it's extremely easy to get caught up in frivolity and forget what's really important: circles and their sharper, quadrilateral counterparts, squares. Which of the two is more worthy of avatar inscription? Cast your vote, and your vote will be cast.

That formatting is simply stunning right now.

Thanks for making this a poll, I was contemplating starting one myself.

I voted square, for several reasons. Square means more usable space for the avatar, and matches the rest of the forum better. It also means better compatibility with many avatars, while those who prefer their avatar to be circular shaped can still make it so.

Reactions: mrxak

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks for posting the nice comparison my avatar as a square and a circle; Ah, and as for re-positioning - do you think so, and if so, how so?

Hmm, I found the original image and came up with the cropping on the right (I'm not entirely content with it):

PNyKVRk.png

Agree re wrldwzrd89's avatar, it is nicely conceived, clever and well placed to take positive and full advantage of the coming changes.

By the way, the poll looks most odd; all those long lines, ominously reminiscent of the sort of work the kind of deranged artist from the early twentieth century - the sort who supped on absinthe - might produce while under the influence of the muse….

Yes, the poll is a bit wonky as others have noticed. I think the current forum software knows it's about to be dumped and is compensating by making itself deserving of abandonment.

Thanks for making this a poll, I was contemplating starting one myself.

I voted square, for several reasons. Square means more usable space for the avatar, and matches the rest of the forum better. It also means better compatibility with many avatars, while those who prefer their avatar to be circular shaped can still make it so.

I was wondering whether to make the thread here or on xenforums.macrumors.com and decided anybody on xen would be here, too. Also, I must agree with your justification for square avatars.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmm, I found the original image and came up with the cropping on the right (I'm not entirely content with it):

Yes, the poll is a bit wonky as others have noticed. I think the current forum software knows it's about to be dumped and is compensating by making itself deserving of abandonment.

I was wondering whether to make the thread here or on xenforums.macrumors.com and decided anybody on xen would be here, too. Also, I must agree with your justification for square avatars.

Well, you have done well, and I confess that I am more than a little impressed….

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
"Information is power. Arm yourself."

Here is a quick collage of circular and square avatars. Remember, information is power. Arm yourself.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/WxSqUz0.jpg]Image[/url]

I quite like the comparison that arn posted, so I will post it here for those who haven't seen:

attachment.php

In addition, if you would like to browse the Xenforums with square avatars to see them for yourself, add the following code to your user stylesheet (Preferences > Advanced in Safari):

Code:
.avatar img, .avatar .img, .avatarCropper{
	border-radius: 2px !important;
}

This has been a permanent addition to my user stylesheet for some time now, by the way ;)

Reactions: kazmac

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Square, daddy-o

Mash …

… rich, hot mash with lashings of life-enhancing salted butter and Marigold vegetable bouillon. Swimming in onion gravy.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Some remarkably ill-fitting avatars for notable members

Four screenshots, three of which list notable members.

If the circular approach persists, then:
  • we can expect staff (the third list) to recreate their own avatars sooner rather than later
  • other notable members (the first and second lists) might be in no rush to make their avatars a noticeably good fit within the circles
  • notable celebrations e.g. birthdays (fourth screenshot – six columns) are likely to appear predominantly grey, not personal, for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• most messages.png
    most messages.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 356
  • most points.png
    most points.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 288
  • staff.png
    staff.png
    672.9 KB · Views: 318
  • notable celebrations.png
    notable celebrations.png
    500.1 KB · Views: 358
  • to whom it may concern.png
    to whom it may concern.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 385

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… I voted square …

Your current spinning wait cursor rainbow avatar is too circular, comrade. A spinning square might be easier on the eye. Joking aside …

An open mind

… seriously, some of the images below remind me that circular can be exceedingly cool.

Will circular stand the test of time; will the novelty wear off? Probably. But short term cool could be fun.

Anyway. Food for thought, about roundness in general. Few written credits, but do please click on any image to view it in context. None of what's below exemplifies an avatar, so it's potentially off-topic, however the intention (on-topic) is for some of the images to 'loosen' prejudiced aversions to rounded avatars.

----

From Out of the Unknown:

A nice idea, but not well-balanced:

Not nice; change (round) for the sake of change; the round is not a good fit for the naturally rectangular objects, and square check fabric spoils a potentially nice chair:

Lush, novel … ultimately abandoned:

…

Craftsmanship with enduring appeal:

From the first commercial television with a cost below $100:

In my early teens (Essex, late 1970s) as a schoolchild I worked part-time in a wonderful home electrical sales and repairs shop – Sound and Vision – where the not-for-sale gems included a magnifier similar to this, but with a Bush set (the icon TV12 or TV22 series):

Someone's vision of the future:

Flat (like, an Apple vision of the present):

Miscellany:

…

Sweet dreams xx although I must say, some of what's above is nightmarish. That thing with the palm tree, FFS …

Attachments

• Out of the Unknown.png
    Out of the Unknown.png
    781.4 KB · Views: 1,682
  • machine-02.jpg
    machine-02.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,597
  • machine-03.jpg
    machine-03.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,567

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
For me it's about choice, and the square allows the choice to be circular if you wish (via any image editing app), but the circle doesn't (unless you settle for a smaller square, like I have).

Reactions: mrxak

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I used this time to take a new picture of my cat and use THAT as my avatar. It works better round then square.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Circular is so last century - like, 50+ years old. Get a TARDIS and go back in time if you like it. ;)

I feel like I'm looking at people via ********* in the snow. :eek:

/jk

Reactions: phrehdd

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When the test forums were up, I wasn't liking the round, but as I suspected, it has grown on me. Circles in designs is in vogue, just look at how other platforms are using circles (windows) and then there apple with the apple watch.

My point is the UI is new and a bit jarring for many people but as the dust settles I think some things will grow on you.

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.