Cisco And Apple Reach iPhone Trademark Agreement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Feb 21, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

Cisco, Apple Settle High-Stakes iPhone Trademark-Infringement Lawsuit

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Cisco Systems Inc. and Apple Inc. said Wednesday they have settled the trademark-infringement lawsuit that threatened to derail Apple's use of the "iPhone" name for its much-hyped new iPod-cellular phone gadget.

The companies said they reached an agreement that will allow Apple to use the name for its sleek new multimedia device in exchange for exploring wide-ranging "interoperability" between the companies' products in the areas of security, consumer and business communications.
    The showdown between the Silicon Valley tech heavyweights erupted last month when Cisco sued Apple in San Francisco federal court claiming that Apple's use of the iPhone name constituted a "willful and malicious" violation of a trademark that Cisco has owned since 2000.

Cisco's Linksys division has been using the trademark since last spring on a line of phones that make free long-distance calls over the Internet using a technology called Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sure doesn't sound like Apple gave up much of anything. Cisco must have known their trademark case was shaky at best. It's probably all for the best...keep everything amicable and foster collaboration.

3. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Obviously Cisco wasn't in this for anything more than publicity.

4. macrumors Core

MacNut

Honestly I would think Cisco would have the better argument for the term iPhone VOIP is Internet phone after all.

5. macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I think Cisco played their hand fairly well. They have gained publicity from this, and may gain from some sort of partnership with Apple in the future.

6. macrumors 6502a

macridah

good to get this out of the way. hope it helps the stock.

7. macrumors regular

johnmartin78

I personaly think the whole lawsuit thing was a publicity stunt.Both companies got millions of dollars in free advertising,especially Cisco.Who even knew they had an "iPhone" until the suit,except geeks.Apple execs go to Cisco boys and say.."so heres the thing,were making an iPhone,the patent you have is basically expired,and its not a cell phone.but after we launch,you file suit,we will get a few weeks of buzz surounding both companies over the lawsuit,then we settle go on about our buisness".

8. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Cisco And Apple Reach iPhone Trademark Agreement

[​IMG]

Cisco and Apple have announced that they have reached an agreement over the iPhone trademark dispute that erupted soon after Apple announced the iPhone at Macworld San Francisco.

Other terms of the agreement remain confidential. Cisco launched their brand of "iPhone" VOIP handsets in December, and has held the US trademark for the "iPhone," whereas Apple has the mark in other countries.

9. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I knew Apple wouldn't come out on the losing side of this. It just wouldn't be right if the iPhone wasn't called, well, the iPhone! ;) :D :cool:

10. macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Apple is a bully. :p

11. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Finally it's over, I won't have to hear it anymore. And I wwon't have to have an "Apple Phone"...:p

12. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nothing wrong with that. It's business after all... :p ;) :cool:

13. macrumors 603

Multimedia

What A Relief

Thank God. :)

14. macrumors regular

The thing that gets me, and that everyone seems to let slide these days, is that Apple started iWhatever. If I had a say in Apple, I would have trademarked the i prefix.

15. macrumors 603

Stella

Obviously, as it turned out, Apple where unable to get Cisco's Trademark, as they thought, and had to comprise.

Apple lost because it couldn't get the iPhone trade mark all to itself, as it thought.

At least its over, and Apple can move on.

16. macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Finally! Good to get all that nonsense out of the way. I'm sure Apple realises no one will confuse the true iPhone with those ugly Cisco POS 'iPhones':apple:

17. macrumors 6502

ModestPenguin

But oh Jesus...If those microsoft Bast***s ever push anyone around again...so help me!:D :p

But apple can do what it wants. I like them better.:p

Nothing against you Shard, I agree, I just think it's funny that we all freak out at Microsoft for bullying but the times apple does the same thing, myself included, think of it as great business...lol
    :D

18. macrumors 603

Stella

No Apple did NOT start the iEverything, it jumped on the bandwagon.

And Apple could not possibly get an "i" trademark.

19. macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that finds this a little disconcerting? Apple has to try to work in interoperability with another company's product that's also called iPhone? That seems like it's going to cause nothing but confusion for customers.

20. macrumors regular

Then enlighten me. Who was first?

21. macrumors 603

Stella

22. macrumors regular

Ok, sounds like a stretch, but if Apple wasn't first, then why did they have to explain that the i stood for internet?

23. macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

Therefore, all the hoopla over trademark thingy was only to generate buzz. And I think both companies agreed to it - any publicity is good publicity. It did remain in the news for quite a while. Good that they decided to end it (not solve it, it was already solved probably! :)

24. macrumors 603

Stella

Infogear had the iPhone registration since 1996.

So, one, example for starters! :)
    http://blogs.cisco.com/news/2007/01/...ne_tradem.html

So, no, not a stretch at all.

25. macrumors 6502

Seriously. There were lots of "i" products before the iMac, Apple just became the most popular. Saying that Apple started the iEverything is like saying that MySpace started the MyEverything. They just popularized them, but neither prefix was all that unique or original.