Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogesole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hi. I am in search for a router and have head good things about the Cisco E1200. It is affordable, with an easy set up and decent performance.

I was pretty set on getting it until I encounter a couple reviews about the set up software not being compatible with snow leopard and lion. There don't seem to be many cases of this so I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with the router.

I'm sure I can be content with a single band router but now worry about compatibility issues. The cisco site says it is compatible with OS X 10.6 but one of the reviewers had 10.6.2. Seeing as I have 10.6.8, I worry that later versions of snow leopard may be an issue with other routers, too.

Part of me wants to just splurge on the Airport Extreme because it would seem like the more convenient choice, but if I can save some money, I probably should lol.

Thanks for any feedback that anyone can provide! I am new to the forum and hope to gain some valuable guidance :D!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I'm sure I can be content with a single band router but now worry about compatibility issues. The cisco site says it is compatible with OS X 10.6 but one of the reviewers had 10.6.2. Seeing as I have 10.6.8, I worry that later versions of snow leopard may be an issue with other routers, too.

OK. I used Snow Leopard to setup my Cisco Linksys E3000 with nary an issue. Just because the reviewer used MacOS X 10.6.2 does not mean that the setup is incompatible with MacOS 10.6.1 or MacOS X 10.6.3. There is zero (0) reason to believe that. Even if it were true, then it would be a speed bump rather than an impenetrable wall. You need setup only once. Once setup, your router wil handle any wireless device. Cisco Linksys routers are managed via your web browser, whichever web browser you prefer. Management and setup are separate and distinct functions. Browser-based management is independent of OS.

As for the Airport Extreme, indeed it is more expensive than a Cisco Linksys E1200. If you purchase the E1200, then you may find this to be the case--several times--while the Airport gives faithful service.

rogesole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
As for the Airport Extreme, indeed it is more expensive than a Cisco Linksys E1200. If you purchase the E1200, then you may find this to be the case--several times--while the Airport gives faithful service.

I'm sorry I didn't really get this part. What would be the case several times?

But thank you for your advice! I can probably feel a lot better about the Cisco if I decide to go this route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.