Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Okay, okay, I know this isn't Mac related (and if this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry). I would have asked this question on the Gentoo forums, but my boyfriend frequents that site and I don't want him to know I'm asking this question. Since this is the board I go to, and he's not a Mac person, I should be safe asking this here. Anyway, this is my question, and hopefully someone here will know the answer.

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and his network card just took a crap. I know he wanted to get the Cisco Aironet 802.11a/b/g Wireless CardBus Adapter for his Dell laptop that's running Gentoo Linux on it, but I want to make sure that there are drivers available before I drop the $130. Would anyone here know if there is? I haven't had any luck finding out.

Thanks.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
if he is running that

If he is running Gentoo, I'm sure he knows what he is doing, and would know if something was supported or not. Do a Google search, "linux cisco aironet", brings back alot, and the first thing takes you to a page where you can get redirected to this one bellow, which I think is obvious what the answer is.

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux

Of course, that is the download site for the drivers, they might just come in the box too since they show it up on their website. It looks like dropping the money would be a sure thing. Just make sure he has not or is not going out to get something to replace is card he has now. That is probably the most of your worries it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.