Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I didn't see it coming, since Cisco was in talking with apple, but apple is really not smart by using the name before the settle of the deal.

The Scotsman

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Both as Bad as Each Other

Cisco Systems had the name, Apple wanted it. Started negotiations which would have been ages ago. Cisco went ahead and launched their VOIP phones named iPhones and a range of them all. Apple annoyed and kept negotiating. Used the name before really allowed to (cheeky devils). Getting sued. Cisco holds name. Asks for more money (cheeky devils) Apple over a barrell like the gimp out of pulp fiction. Pay the money or change the name. Unless cisco sells name legally Apple do not have a leg to stand on does not matter how much money apple has. Its all very predictable. I think the lawsuit is just cisco being difficult to get more money because they probably did not do research into how much it would cost to rebrand all there VOIP phones.

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
The whole iProduct naming scheme is getting a little old.

I wouldn't mind "PodPhone" or treat it like Apple (logo)TV

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
I wouldn't be suprised if this was what Cisco wanted all along. And since Apple seems to expect to get what it wants when i comes to legal issues, this could become drawn-out.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Apple could always rename the iPhone as the Cisco :D

cisco-kid.jpg

ulyssespdx

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
do you really think Apple, a multi-billion dollar company, didn't conduct a serious amount of forethought and planning and legal effort and preparation before launching a new, revolutionary product?

seriously? are you kidding? you actually think Apple is going "whoops"?

good grief.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Id say

APPLE: 2
CISCO: 1

Please do a search at the US Patten page. Guys what? Apple has a patten for a mobile phone called iPhone. Cisco has a patten for an iPhone that does not mention cell phones or mobile phones in the patten at all, only internet phone. Looks like Apple has the upper hand on this one if you ask me.

where is it? why i couldn't find it? how about a link?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Cisco had the name waaaay before Apple was even thinking about iPhone - so how it is a cheap knockoff?!!!

Cisco have every right to use 'iPhone'.

I think it's just crazy that Cisco, an inovator in their market, actually used iPhone as their product name. I could see trademarking the name to keep Apple from using it but ACTUALLY using the i<name> is soooo cheap knockoffy.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
do you really think Apple, a multi-billion dollar company, didn't conduct a serious amount of forethought and planning and legal effort and preparation before launching a new, revolutionary product?

good grief.

so far, looks like it. Im not that confident that apple will never make mistakes.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
This is probably what has happened:

SNIP<<cleverly argued conspiracy theory>>SNIP

Apple: Hi! You guys suck! Give us the iPhone name!
Cisco: Huh? I thought you guys wanted to negotate in good faith?
Apple: Did your mommy dress you this morning?
Cisco: Whats going on here? Why are you being like this?
Apple: Give us the iPhone name you unkempt malcontents!!
Cisco: See you in court.
Apple: :)
----------------------------

Totally. Hilarious.

I hope this is more or less what happened and they planned this all along and get more hype because of it. In the end please name the thing ApplePhone (with the Apple logo like AppleTV) or even better, iPod phone. Surely "iPhone" was Apple's codename for this just like "iTV"...why not change it before the launch but milk it for a little free "bad press" along the way?

I'm still buying one on Day #1 even if they name it iGetABrainTumorUsingThisSickThing

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Id say

Please do a search at the US Patten page. Guess what? Apple has a patten for a mobile phone called iPhone. Cisco has a patten for an iPhone that does not mention cell phones or mobile phones in the patten at all, only internet phone. Looks like Apple has the upper hand on this one if you ask me.

Whats a Patten??

edit: oh, patent, i see.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So? Cisco still had the trademark FIRST!!!

Stop dreaming! Apple are stuffed unless they buy the iPhone trademark or come to some other agreement.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2006/tc20061218_465203.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_today's+top+stories
"Cisco has owned the trademark on the iPhone brand since 2000, when it acquired Infogear—which had registered the name in 1996"

Id say

Please do a search at the US Patten page. Guess what? Apple has a patten for a mobile phone called iPhone. Cisco has a patten for an iPhone that does not mention cell phones or mobile phones in the patten at all, only internet phone. Looks like Apple has the upper hand on this one if you ask me.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Totally. Hilarious.

I hope this is more or less what happened and they planned this all along and get more hype because of it. In the end please name the thing ApplePhone (with the Apple logo like AppleTV) or even better, iPod phone. Surely "iPhone" was Apple's codename for this just like "iTV"...why not change it before the launch but milk it for a little free "bad press" along the way?

I'm still buying one on Day #1 even if they name it iGetABrainTumorUsingThisSickThing

LOL, seriously, i think its time for apple to drop this "i" thing, its becoming more and more abused everywhere. not unique anymore.

The Scotsman

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
whats the point

good grief.

There is no point the publicity is not positive anyway you look at it. It has put a cloud over the announcment of the product. I genuinely believe apple made a mistake this time.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
So? Cisco still had the trademark FIRST!!!

Stop dreaming! Apple are stuffed unless they buy the iPhone trademark or come to some other agreement.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2006/tc20061218_465203.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_today's+top+stories
"Cisco has owned the trademark on the iPhone brand since 2000, when it acquired Infogear—which had registered the name in 1996"

Yes but if you do not protect your trademark you loose it. Thats why Kleenex makes others call their products "tissue". I would wager that a court would say Cisco did not do all it could to stop the general public from identifying their trademark with a general term for a name.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yes but if you do not protect your trademark you loose it. Thats why Kleenex makes others call their products "tissue". I would wager that a court would say Cisco did not do all it could to stop the general public from identifying their trademark with a general term for a name.

They ARE protecting it by suing Apple ASAP.

Apart from the patent entries ( apparently ), iPhone was associated to Apple by rumours mostly... rumours are vapour.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
They ARE protecting it by suing Apple ASAP.

Apart from the patent entries ( apparently ), iPhone was associated to Apple by rumours mostly... rumours are vapour.

Its a little late for that. The general public already called Apples phone the iPhone. If they were serious about protecting it they would have told just about everyone to stop using it as a term for Apples phone years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.