Cisco VPN client and 10.2

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by evildead, Sep 1, 2002.

1. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

After I installed OS 10.2 my Cisco VPN client 3.5.1 broke. Any one have this same problem? I get an error that says it's not loaded into the kernal. I tried to reinstall it but then I lost my internet connection all togeter... even before I tried to run it... and I get the same error when I run it anyway. Any one have a work arround or any news of a new VPN client comming out soon? My company does not offichaly suport any Mac computers so all the Mac heads are on our own when it comes to this stuff.

-evildead

2. FatTony macrumors regular

There isn't alot of info out there on this. All I know is that the latest Cisco VPN is 3.6 and it still doesn't work with 10.2. So, I guess we just wait for Cisco. I started a thread on this and there haven't been a lot of replies.

3. evildead thread starter macrumors 65816

evildead

shoot

I was using 3.5.1 and it broke.. I got my hands on 3.6 today... and you tell me that it does not work.. this may take a while. Have you tried to install it your self? What kind of errors are you getting?

-evildead

4. FatTony macrumors regular

I doesn't work for me. I've seen some posts elsewhere that claim it does work, but no specifics on how it was achieved.

Holy crap! I just tried it to give you the exact error wording and now it works. I can't believe it. I have no idea what I did (if anything).

BTW. I had 3.5 running on 10.1.5 with no problems. My admin gave me 3.6 and I couldn't get it to work on 10.1.5 so I went back to 3.5. After upgrading to 10.2 I couldn't get 3.5 or 3.6 to work. I tried installing and uninstalling, new pcf file, with vpnconnect, and with the terminal. Nothing worked. lately I've been trying to use my home machine (still 10.1.5 and 3.5) to connect and share that connection, but I couldn't get it to work.

5. evildead thread starter macrumors 65816

evildead

I have read some mixed news about 3.6 as well. Some say they got it to work and some say it does not. One person even posted that they conntacted both Cisco and Apple... they both reported that 3.6 does NOT work under 10.2. I will have to see if I can get it to run when I get home. I hear that Cisco will not put out a new version of it untill mid november! Thats a long time to wait for a connection.
    -evildead

6. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

well i guess that answers my question. At the university of Houston law center they use the cicso 3.5.2 VPN. they claim it works on the network with macs. i have 10.2 and i simply cant get it to work. actually the last step of the command line install gives me an error...so i went to uninstall it and i cant figure out how. it doesnt seem to want to let me. any ideas how to uninstall 3.5.2? and yeah, november is a long way off...just hope what they put out will get me onto the school network. i will still be here another 2 years so it will get annoying to not have my connection while on campus.

7. asparagui macrumors member

Yeah....

I thought I was just stupid for not getting the client working, but now I think it's not me.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, my school won't let us use wireless without a VPN connection.

<sigh>

-asparagui

8. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

DITTO

i'm right there with you asparagui. we cant get onto the wireless network network at our school without the VPN...so basically we are screwed here till Cisco gets with it.

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

3.6.1 was released on the 5th or 6th. I installed it just fine, but I will have to set up a concentrator at work to test it.

10. FatTony macrumors regular

In the terminal, cd to the directory that holds the vpnclient. (note: there should be a file called vpn_uninstall in that directory). Type:

sudo ./vpn_uninstall

You will be prompted for an administrator password. It is a good idea to accept all the defaults with the script, but that will delete your connection profile. I would make a backup of that first.

To make a copy of your connection profile, type:

cp /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/filename.pcf ~/Documents

Where "filename.pcf" is the name of your connection profile.

This will put a copy of your profile in your Documents folder.

If you don't know the name of your profile, type:

ls /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles

One of the files in this directory is your connection profile. It will have a filename that ends in .pcf.

11. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

Thread Revival!

ok, its november 8...i still have no VPN connection. Any news on when cisco will be getting out a vpn client that will run on 10.2 or is there any alternate way to connect to my wireless network on campus? i havent found one and the IT guy says he knows of no way other than using the cisco VPN (though he knows nothing about anything other than windoze).

ive searched down rumors that it will be out early or mid november...any other confirmations or any news?

12. evildead thread starter macrumors 65816

evildead

I thought this thred was dead

The new CISCO VPN client is out! I beleve its version 3.6. It now works with OS X.2 and I have tested it my self. CISCO felt pressure to get it out faster and shipped it several weeks ago.

The older versions did work with Jag if the VPN device was set up with some certain settings. Did did not work for me. .... How ever... the new version of it works just fine

-evildead

13. FatTony macrumors regular

I just got the Cisco VPN client v3.7 from my LAN admin. It works with 10.2 and it has a GUI!

14. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

yeah i got 3.7. And it was nice that it actually installs itself and has a GUI but all the same...i cant seem to get it set right to run on my network. i would ask the IT guy but he wont talk to you unless you have the dell latitude they wanted you to buy. even other people with PC laptops.

maybe if i email him i can get the info i need, though i found the server IP and stuff and it still wont connect. oh well...i will try to get it up and running later

15. FatTony macrumors regular

you will need a .pcf file. this is a text file that the vpn client uses to get all the correct configuration info to connect. I haven't played with the GUIs ability to create or modify one, so I can't give you advice about that. I had to ask my LAN admin for a valid connection profile (or .pcf document). Back in the 10.1 days, you had to use the terminal to put your .pcf file in /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles
    I'm not sure if the gui will let you import a pcf file or if you still have to use the terminal. I used the terminal becuase I am comfortable doing so.

This is what my pcf file looks like (minus the sensitive stuff):

Code:
    [main]
    Description=
    Host=
    AuthType=1
    GroupName=
    GroupPwd=
    EnableISPConnect=0
    ISPConnectType=0
    ISPConnect=
    ISPCommand=
    Username=
    SaveUserPassword=0
    EnableBackup=0
    BackupServer=
    EnableNat=1
    CertStore=0
    CertName=
    CertPath=
    CertSubjectName=
    CertSerialHash=
    DHGroup=2
    ForceKeepAlives=0
    UserPassword=
    enc_UserPassword=
    NTDomain=
    EnableMSLogon=1
    MSLogonType=0
    TunnelingMode=0
    TcpTunnelingPort=10000
    SendCertChain=0
    PeerTimeout=90
    EnableLocalLAN=0
    enc_GroupPwd=

Note that I have set EnableNAT=1. This allows me to connect from behind an airPort basestation or some other NAT devices. Otherwise, you can set this to 0.

16. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

well yes, before i had a pcf file and everything was fine and dandy. when i downloaded this version and wiped the old version, no pcf file template was downloaded like before. in fact, the way it is set up i dont see anything that would make anyone suspect the need to get a pcf file and either install it via terminal or add it to the new interface...