Citi Analysts Suggest Apple Will Miss Its Own 2Q 2013 Revenue Forecast

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple will miss the lower end of its own revenue guidance figures of $41-43 billion for the current quarter by more than half a billion dollars, claim Citigroup analysts cited by Business Insider.

CNET has more on the research note, which says that reduced orders in Apple's supply chain suggest softening demand for both iPhone and iPad, and claims that there is "limited evidence" of an imminent low-cost iPhone.
    Citi's Glen Yeung predicts total iPhone sales of 59 million units in the first half of 2013, while the general Wall Street expectation is for around 69 million. He has also slightly downgraded his forecast Q2 iPad sales by 0.6 million to 19 million.

Yeung's team also warns against expecting revenue to flow from the low-cost iPhone rumored to be coming in August or September.
    But while Citi is pointing to supply chain reports as the basis for its claims, Apple CEO Tim Cook has previously cautioned against reading too much into supply-chain rumors:
    However, Citi has been among the more accurate analyst firms in following the recent slowing of Apple's growth, and its statements are in line with previous observations by other analysts and commentators.

Apple has fallen short of analyst expectations several times in recent quarters, but has always met its own guidance, although that guidance has long consisted of low-ball figures that Apple felt it could easily meet. Starting with this quarter, Apple is now issuing a range of guidance numbers that it believes it will fall within, significantly altering the landscape for analysts seeking to predict Apple's performance.

Article Link: Citi Analysts Suggest Apple Will Miss Its Own 2Q 2013 Revenue Forecast
  2. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2011
    Oh no!!!! Apple is doomed!!!!

<cue Gir's Doom Song>
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2009
    We expected 41 billion but only made 39.5. It's a tragic day. Someone will get fired for this.
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Only 40.5 BILLION this quarter?

How horrible! ;)
  5. macrumors 68030

Sep 6, 2007
    And the stock will go tumbling down once again. I'm sure wall street will quickly pull out the headstones for this one.
  6. macrumors 603

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    I'm getting to a point where I couldn't care less.
  7. macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2008
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    It's the analysts again!!!!!! :eek:

My signature is my response to them.
  8. macrumors member

Aug 25, 2008
    Is it me or does it seem Apple has been too quiet product-wise so far this year?

They need to have a keynote now to help their stock and show something new. A Mac Pro or something would help.
  9. macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2012
    Sure it seems like a lot of money to you but the only trend that's okay in business is UP!
    This is trending down. Has been and looks like it will continue. The worst kind of trend.
  10. macrumors member

May 29, 2012

You know that some of these guys actually know their stuff..
  11. macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2007
  12. macrumors 68020

Jan 22, 2009
    Will this change anything in Apples operations?

Magic 8 ball says "No"
  13. macrumors 6502

May 11, 2012
    Plan: Make a cheaper iPhone to counteract the Android impact. Apple is going to cut into it´s own products, yet again. Apple should offer older models for a lower price (just sell the iPhone 5 at the price of the new cheap plastic products that are in development), when the 5S is going to get introduced. That would make a lot more sense and their BOM on the iPhone 5 would still permit them to make a decent profit of it. But Apple wants even more money and build a plastic iPhone so that they don´t have to sacrifice their margins. Brilliant move. More money, but quality second.
  14. macrumors 68030

Sep 6, 2007
    Mac pro wouldn't make the stock jump 1/2 point... but you are right in thinking that it's awfully quiet... normally something is introduced around this time... maybe... just maybe, Apple is quiet because there is something behind the curtain that has not leaked yet???? I keep hoping for some surprise.
  15. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
    Wouldn't be surprised if they miss their mark. Their stock has been performing awful lately.
  16. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2008
    Los Angeles, California
    the worst thing about the stockmarket is its the same people that buy Beiber and Gaga CDs; in music you can just ignore them and go check out good stuff instead, in stocks, they buy stock in the good stuff and drag them down with their bullcrap!
  17. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2012
    I am an economics student and actually a lot of it is just manipulation on the part of analysts. These guys are just smartasses.

Actually apple could just use the same plastic HTC uses, it feels solid and has a great look.
  18. macrumors regular

May 1, 2012
    Athens, GA
    I've come to a point where I don't really care any more about the stocks. Apple could sell 45 million iPhones in a weekend (impossible, i know this :) ) and they would still get beaten to death.

And I have to agree with everyone here, Apple has been unusually quiet. Nothing on iPad, nothing on OS X, just nothing. Very odd. Hoping Apple has a few tricks up their sleeves for this spring/summer :) :apple:
  19. macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2009
    What on earth does stock price have to do with units sold?
  20. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Shouldn't it be the other way around? Their stock drops because they don't sell enough.

I like how your analogy is relevant to your username :p.
  21. macrumors regular

May 1, 2012
    Athens, GA
    To many people, stocks are indicative of how well Apple is performing and selling unfortunately. Thats why when the stocks tumble, all you hear is that Apple is dying.
  22. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    Another one of these vaunted "supply checks" rumors. As if Wall Street analysts have a good gasp in Apple's supply chain. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, another Wall Street "analyst" is saying sell Apple AND Samsung.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but I'm hoping no news means some great stuff is on the way.
  23. macrumors 601

Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    And once again, Apple will post a record breaking quarter. These "analysts" are trying to drive down prices so that they can get some cheap Apple stock. They're upset they didn't buy in 2008.

Remember the calm before the storm that was iPhone? Apple is working on some crazy stuff right now and they'll only release it when it's ready to ship. If you really think they're sitting on their hands then you really don't understand anything about the company.

Apple needs to remain non-reactionary. Just keep building great products and the money will follow.

My only gripe is that they need to invest more in services. Not just money and hardware, but people too. Stop half-assing it. And if they're not going to whole-ass it, they should at least give us API hooks in iOS 7 to replace their somewhat inferior services.
  24. macrumors regular

May 1, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Wishful thinking is better than doom and gloom :)

Agreed 100% with everything you just said. Its people like you that make me believe in the Apple Community still :)
  25. macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    What's wrong with plastic?

I don't get all this hatred toward plastic cases. The :apple:TV has a plastic case. So does the AirPort Express and the Time Capsule. And so did the iPhone 3GS.

I hate stainless steel, aluminium and glass cases/backs. The iPhone 3GS is still the best hand-fitting iPhone ever released. Our hands are not flat with sharp corners. :rolleyes: